Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are blue side marker lights legal??? 10000K HID opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Are blue side marker lights legal??? 10000K HID opinions

I had a broke marker light lens so i replaced them with clear ones, and i have to get new lights being the one was broke and other burnt out, so i found some blue bulbs for the marker lights for $5http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT and was wondering if they where legal or not, as far as i know from doing some searching is that its fine as long as they are not strobbing or a distraction to anyone....any facts would would really help so i dont get pulled over. Plus im looking to get some 10000k HID headlights i found some on ebay for $100http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...43778775402552, any opinions from people who have them or any experiance with them would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kyle 4x4 4life; 03-10-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Kyle 4x4 4life
I had a broke marker light lens so i replaced them with clear ones, and i have to get new lights being the one was broke and other burnt out, so i found some blue bulbs for the marker lights for $10 and was wondering if they where legal or not, as far as i know from doing some searching is that its fine as long as they are not strobbing or a distraction to anyone....any facts would would really help so i dont get pulled over. Plus im looking to get some 10000k HID headlights i found some on ebay for $100, any opinions from people who have them or any experiance with them would be greatly appreciated.
It really depends on where you live, some places are no blue, so are no strobing. Take a few and run down to the police station and ask them, they will probally be your best answer since they would be the ones righting you the ticket.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

It really depends on where you live, some places are no blue, so are no strobing. Take a few and run down to the police station and ask them, they will probally be your best answer since they would be the ones righting you the ticket.
Ya i thought about that but i dont like talking to cops, especially when my windows are tinted too dark, dont want to raise any attention to my jeep if i dont have too.lol Dont want any cops to come look at it and then have them tell me i have to take the tint off my windows.lol
Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Year: 1998

Haha, time to have a buddy take you down there, if you don;t want to draw attention them I would def not put blue lights on.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Even if it wasn't technically illegal, the cops aren't going to encourage you to use blue lights. Personally, I think a clear side marker with an amber bulb looks the cleanest.

10k Hid's are a gay purple color.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: yes

I believe they are illegal in Oregon, not sure....I'm running around with super dark windows and no license plates.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

since they are turn signals i think they have to be amber, but im not exactly sure cause all states are different, i know hear in virginia ive gotten some heat for just having my offroad lights on in a parking lot to show my friends, didnt get a ticket but the cop told me to turn them off and not to turn them back on
Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Haha, time to have a buddy take you down there, if you don;t want to draw attention them I would def not put blue lights on.
Haha maybe but its just no fun to be completly legal ALL the time.lol

Even if it wasn't technically illegal, the cops aren't going to encourage you to use blue lights. Personally, I think a clear side marker with an amber bulb looks the cleanest.

10k Hid's are a gay purple color.
Ya i bet not...and ya amber is what i was going to go with before i thought of goin blue. And no the 10k are not purple their the real blue one's 12k are purple check the link i put up in the original post and scroll down it shows you the # and the color. No way in he** i'd get purple one's.lol
since they are turn signals i think they have to be amber, but im not exactly sure cause all states are different, i know hear in virginia ive gotten some heat for just having my offroad lights on in a parking lot to show my friends, didnt get a ticket but the cop told me to turn them off and not to turn them back on
They arent turn signals they're on the corner just a marker light. Ya and here i got pulled over for driving through town with my fog lights on, not off road lights just stock fog lights that where on the car when it was made...kind of rediculous in my book, being i see it all the time and none of them get pulled over...Might have been the fact i was in a fancy red firebird.lol

But all in all thanks for the opinions and comments im probably gonna call the cop shop and ask them about it and pretty much go from there.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Blue lights are only for emergency and police vehicles only. Not worth the ticket in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Blue lights are only for emergency and police vehicles only. Not worth the ticket in my opinion.
True, but i like the looks of them, and in my town its really small and i know MANY of the cops and not in a bad way, so i can almost garentee if i get stopped for it they'll just tell me to change them and i'll do so, and if they dont pull me over than im good to go, not much of a loss at only $5 for the bulbs. I've been pulled over a few times for speeding, having no insurance and drag racing and only have gotten a warning so im sure blue lights wouldn't land me a ticket.lol Maybe if i lived in a big city where cops where ****** and had nothing to do but pull over and ticket someone for the smallest of things, so i think im good to go....(knock on wood)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

why would u want to waste the money on hids for turn signals, go get some led light that will plug in to ur stock light sockets.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

why would u want to waste the money on hids for turn signals, go get some led light that will plug in to ur stock light sockets.
Alright so you didnt understand or i read any of these posts, the hid's im talking about are headlights, and the MARKER lights (not turn signals), im talking about are led's that plug into my factory socket, look at the links in the original post...

Last edited by Kyle 4x4 4life; 03-11-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

http://ddmtuning.com/ good quality product and warrenty not cheap ebay bs. i have 2 sets and they work great.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Dont waste your time on BLUE HIDs. I am telling you from experience. I am 25 and have had my fair share of fads and what i thought looked cool, but its not worth risking your safety. Long story short...the spectrum goes from 3000K (yellow) to (12000K) a purple light. For optimum color contrast and ease on the eyes, 3000K would be best. BUT we all know yellow lights would look bad. 4500K and 5000K is the best color in my opinion and give out WAY more lumens than 6000K and up. The higher you go up on the kelvin scale, the more lumens you lose...therefore the less output you have. In many cases 10000K HIDs will produce less light output than stock halogens. You can argue with me all day about that, but its true. The more blue you have, the less you can see at night. Trust me I have done it. You might think you can see more because signs will light up more, but in reality, a dark road at night, in the rain....your SOL.

If you think it looks cool and are set on it do it. But you asked for opinions and that is mine. Get you some 5000-6000K if you want some blue color and you will see more at night and still have that "luxuary blue HID" color.

Take 10 mins and read this...
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Dont waste your time on BLUE HIDs. I am telling you from experience. I am 25 and have had my fair share of fads and what i thought looked cool, but its not worth risking your safety. Long story short...the spectrum goes from 3000K (yellow) to (12000K) a purple light. For optimum color contrast and ease on the eyes, 3000K would be best. BUT we all know yellow lights would look bad. 4500K and 5000K is the best color in my opinion and give out WAY more lumens than 6000K and up. The higher you go up on the kelvin scale, the more lumens you lose...therefore the less output you have. In many cases 10000K HIDs will produce less light output than stock halogens. You can argue with me all day about that, but its true. The more blue you have, the less you can see at night. Trust me I have done it. You might think you can see more because signs will light up more, but in reality, a dark road at night, in the rain....your SOL.

If you think it looks cool and are set on it do it. But you asked for opinions and that is mine. Get you some 5000-6000K if you want some blue color and you will see more at night and still have that "luxuary blue HID" color.
No thats the exact type of opinions i wanted, im not dead set on them just thought they'd look cool and being HID would still be bright. But after hearing that i think i will just go with the 6000k.

Quick Reply: Are blue side marker lights legal??? 10000K HID opinions