Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Motor Mount - Can It Feel Like Death Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8 Stock Hemi
Question Blown Motor Mount - Can It Feel Like Death Wobble?

I have a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 (206k miles - original engine, rebuilt tranny, regular servicing) and I know that my passenger's motor mount is shot. Could that create the same type of massive front end vibration as "Death Wobble" that seems to plague Jeeps?

I'm aware that Death Wobble is mainly suspension related (and typically from worn out bushings) and I plan on replacing the motor mount in the next day or so anyway, but I was just wondering if that could possibly stop the problems I've been having without having to diagnose and repair my entire suspension piece by piece.

I'm familiar with the writeup on Death Wobble at kevinsoffroad.com, so I'll know what else to check if the mount replacement doesn't solve the issue.

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I've had both issues in my xj. The vibrations of a bad motor mount and a death wobble are completely different. Death wobble is a hell of a lot scarier in my opinion and a lot slower paced. The vibrations from bad motor mounts are a lot more rapid but doesn't feel even close to as bad as death wobble.

But to answer your question (at least this is what it seems like you're asking), no, motor mounts cannot cause death wobble. It's a problem in your suspension, steering, tires or alignment
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

X2 they are two different "systems" and don't really effect each other besides providing power
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Too bad it is the V8, I was gonna suggest browndog mounts. If your draglink/trackbar are in plane, it shouldn't have bump steer/DW
Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 PM

SportXJ -

I'm fully aware that death wobble isn't caused by a blown motor mount, what I was asking is whether the vibrations I'm getting can feel like death wobble. The reason I ask is because I have also had to replace my front sway links (a possible cause of death wobble) to pass my state's safety inspection.

Heck, I'm not even certain that I actually have a death wobble problem because everything else on the front suspension (minus the sway links that I just replaced) looks to be in pretty good shape as far as I can tell.

Last edited by SaintIves; 12-01-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Addressing "correct" member
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Gotcha. Well yeah like I said, death wobble and bad motor mounts feel way different. With DW the steering wheel will shake VIOLENTLY and will start at either a high speed (freeway speed or above) or if you hit a bump, pothole, etc. going at a relatively good speed (like 40 or above typically). So if you're getting vibes at speeds lower than that, it probably is just your motor mount. Believe me, you'll know when you experience DW your first time. I'll never forget it. It's the last time I **** my pants as a grown man haha. If you ever think you're getting DW but are unsure, simply stick your head out your window and take a look at your front tire
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Oh and looks can be deceiving. You gotta test your components, not just look at em. DW can be caused by something as simple as wheel balance or worn tires
Old 12-02-2011, 12:52 AM

Gotcha. Another part of that blasted inspection forced me to replace my front tires, so I don't think that's the problem. They were balanced and installed by my mechanic.

Oh yeah - how in heck do I go about testing things like CA's and TRE's? I'm not that great of a mechanic - all I can do reasonably well are tune-ups, fluid changes, and replacing obviously broke parts...

My last project was diagnosing, "finding", and replacing that blasted tiny arsed flippin' oil sender switch - $40 P.i.t.A. part...

Last edited by SaintIves; 12-02-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Alright well get that motor mount replaced and see what that does to the vibes. And report back!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 AM

Question

Originally Posted by TigerXJ
Too bad it is the V8, I was gonna suggest browndog mounts. If your draglink/trackbar are in plane, it shouldn't have bump steer/DW
How do I determine if the draglink and trackbar are in "in plane"? What does that mean?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 AM
CF Veteran

If you crouch in front of your car and take a look, your track bar and drag link need to be basically parallel. Like at the same angle, same height (this would be a lot easier to explain in person haha). If they are, that'll eliminate bump steer, not necessarily death wobble though since those aren't the only things that can cause DW.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Alright well get that motor mount replaced and see what that does to the vibes. And report back!
Dang bolts won't budge. I gave myself a headache from WD40 fumes spraying the mess out of them today. I'll have to try again another day...

oo00(if only I had air tools - hand wrenches and cheater bars stink...)

Last edited by SaintIves; 12-02-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Wink

I haven't forgotten to keep up, guys, but my work schedule and rotten weather have prevented me from working on the mount (no garage). I have tomorrow off and I'll pray for sunshine to get the job done.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 AM

Exclamation Finally!

Well - I sucked it up, gathered my hand tools, and replaced that blasted motor mount. Not having air tools totally bites - it took me 3.5 hours start to finish and I'm sore from my neck to my knees. And frozen - it was 40 degrees all afternoon - yuck.

Fortunately I live only 1.5 miles from work, so if there's a problem I can still get home without too much difficulty. PLUS, the roads I need to drive are 45+ mph, so it will give me a good test run to see if the vibration is still present. I'll post the road test results in a day or so.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Good deal, glad you were able to get it fixed! It'll take a way a ton of vibration with a fresh one in there

Quick Reply: Blown Motor Mount - Can It Feel Like Death Wobble?