Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Better Headlights

I need to get better lighting when on the road at night, and I was considering just throwing two lights on my bumper, but I figured I'd just put money aside and do a full lightbar later on. I'll just upgrade my headlamps to solve my current problem. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of headlamps. I'd prefer to buy in-store (Pepboys, Autozone, Advanced Auto, NAPA, etc..) just in case something happens, it's easier to drive to the store and replace them. But if there's a better deal online, I'll do it. I don't want a light that comes off as LED or whatever makes those newer Escalades and Audis have. Unbelievably annoying to be in front of. Just need a brighter light than my stock, and better coverage.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

when was the last time you installed new head lights mine were kinda bugging me i just bought a new set and it was a big difference,they were blue stars or bright stars from the auto parts stores

Last edited by freegdr; 09-27-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

I haven't replaced the headlights since I got the truck earlier this year. I figured since I'm due for an upgrade, I might as well get a bit of a brighter light, and I'd love to have more coverage on the road. I drive on dark roads with no street lights, sometimes through a forest (with deer), and the only way I can see is with my hi-beams, and I can't do that if there's oncoming traffic.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

thats true ive had mine 15 years never replaced them but when i did it was like night and day get some good driving lights that can be used later on the upgrade light bar
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I've been using the Sylvania Xtravision lamps. They're considerably brighter than standard equipment but last much longer than the Silverstars. Also, check that the headlight plugs are clean and not corroded.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
thats true ive had mine 15 years never replaced them but when i did it was like night and day get some good driving lights that can be used later on the upgrade light bar
Well I didn't want to put two expensive Hellas on my bumper, so I was going to get two decent priced lights from a local auto store, but thought since I'm going to do a lightbar down the road, that will have nice quality lights, I'll just save for that. I probably wouldn't use the bumper lights in the lightbar project.

Originally Posted by wildbill1
I've been using the Sylvania Xtravision lamps. They're considerably brighter than standard equipment but last much longer than the Silverstars. Also, check that the headlight plugs are clean and not corroded.
You're happy with those? Any complaints? I haven't messed with my headlights before, but I take it it'll be obvious to find and notice if my plugs are OK?

I usually don't see things until I'm right up on it, if it's pitch black out and my hi beams are off. And yes, my eyes are fine lol.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wildbill1
thats what i run the silver stars

Last edited by freegdr; 09-27-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Looks nice! So, I have a newbie question now. Am I just buying those bulbs and still use the stock headlamp?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L

headlight wiring harness upgrade + new headlights.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=48
Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
Looks nice! So, I have a newbie question now. Am I just buying those bulbs and still use the stock headlamp?

Thanks
You will buy the whole light, the xj's dont use the removable "bulbs", you are looking for the square lights that usually below the bulbs

Rich
Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by victorlanda
headlight wiring harness upgrade + new headlights.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=48
Thanks for that! Looks very detailed.

Originally Posted by mideerslayer
You will buy the whole light, the xj's dont use the removable "bulbs", you are looking for the square lights that usually below the bulbs

Rich
How do I find out what light to buy? I take it I buy a light housing and then the bulbs, and then just replace everything entirely?
--
Just did a search on Autozone. So I would buy something like this then?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...412572_0_7179_

That's just one of the first listings, so maybe not that one exactly, but something similar, right?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 PM

Year: 1997

Thanks for that! Looks very detailed.

How do I find out what light to buy? I take it I buy a light housing and then the bulbs, and then just replace everything entirely?
--
Just did a search on Autozone. So I would buy something like this then?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...412572_0_7179_

That's just one of the first listings, so maybe not that one exactly, but something similar, right?
Yes what you listed is what you need to replace if you are not going to upgrade to new housing
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mideerslayer
Yes what you listed is what you need to replace if you are not going to upgrade to new housing
OK, sweet. Is a new housing recommended if I've never replaced it before?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L

OK, sweet. Is a new housing recommended if I've never replaced it before?
i got a pair of hella e-codes and i recommend them i have them with hell a 130/90W H4 bulbs.. they're way better than stock but silverstars are fine if you don't want to spend more money. what housings gives you is that you can replace the bulbs, H4, and anytime upgrade to HID if you want.
http://www.quadratec.com/category/Je.../183/index.htm
Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Lighten Up

I really really like the bright white and distance from my Silverstars. Too costly at $65 pair cdn. Not the cost per pair BUT I am very disappointed in having to replace them about 2X per year. I have collected too many failed lights. Given the Peep runs over 1100km weekly year long and some rough rides on the weekend. I really like the qualtity of the light out put but expect for the price they should last longer. I have run fresh 14ga wiring to both, good soldering and heat shrink on all connections. I also have cleaned the contacts in the wire plug each time. Even with the mean eyes I still have a great low beam. The mean eyes have shrouded the high beam but I have other options for high lite requirements. Running them for 3 years. I have saved the burned out sealed beams and plan to do a new roof setup with 5 Silverstars wired for the high beam.
When I set the lights aim to spec I get flashed a lot so I actually aim them a bit low for oncoming courtesy. Those ambers are also angled to the right and are not problematic for oncoming on the road in inclement, great in tight woods! So I guess bottom line is I really like the light but am grumpy about the lack of longevity.
Attached Thumbnails Better Headlights-img_2006.jpg   Better Headlights-img_1631.jpg   Better Headlights-img_1633.jpg  

Quick Reply: Better Headlights