Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best Lunchbox Locker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question best Lunchbox Locker?

I am pretty sure that my XJ has open diffs, I just haven't pulled the covers yet to make sure that they aren't something else and broken Hey some times you never know what the previous owner has done to you rip into it

I have a 98 Sport auto with a D30HP and a Chrysler 8.25. I live in an area that gets wet heavy snow that often gets packed to near ice like conditions. We also get a lot of ice rain just to make things interesting. I have been contemplating LSDs and lockers for a bit now and am still on the fence, but my feet are on the side of auto lockers because I know that if I get something like a TrueTrac the minute I get stuck I will be wishing I had got a locker My biggest concern is noise and driveablity in slick conditions, hence still sitting on the fence.

It a perfect word I would be able to afford an air locker and just forget about the cheaper options, but truth be told I will probably never need the strength of something like an ARB and don't have the funds to drop 3+k on lockers and supporting parts.

So I am just looking for opinions right now to help me make up my mind for when the time comes.

My XJ is my winter DD and summer fishing and exploring vehicle. I doubt I will ever take my XJ onto any hardcore trails or need to do any rock crawling with it, but you never know what you will run into when exploring. Most of its offroad use will be on double track trails with slick mud, fairly steep loose climbs and big slabs of granite with smaller 1-2 foot ledges. I am currently running LT235s and a 3" lift and will probably move up to 31s in the near future with an out side chance of 33s. If I do go to 33s I will be regearing the diffs. I am very much a hands on DIY type and would be doing the install myself if that makes a difference, and yes I do have the skills and tools to do the work

If you are going to suggest I bite the bullit and just go with air lockers, and you want me to pay attention to your suggestion, you better be ready to pony up the difference in price between the air lockers and auto lockers
Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Personally I like Spartan lockers
Old 01-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

I lived in Upstate NY for over 20 years and have owned 4 Cherokees. The best combination of differentials that I have used on snow and ice is open front and limited slip rear. Unstoppable in 4 wheel drive with a good set of snow and ice tires.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Check out Lokka
Old 01-17-2015, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

I've had a 2wd Cherokee I drive daily in Minnesota with constant ice and snow on the ground.. Open diff... Just have to know how to drive.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
Check out Lokka
agreed! Great lockers
Old 01-17-2015, 03:50 PM

I install a lunchbox locker in my 98 XJ, and had all manner of issues. Torque steer was bad, and locking & unlocking at the worse times. Richmond gear kept saying that my carrier was bad. I finally put an Auburn LSD in, and never looked back. The Powertrax No Slip went right to the landfill. A waste of $400.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by metaldemon7
I install a lunchbox locker in my 98 XJ, and had all manner of issues. Torque steer was bad, and locking & unlocking at the worse times. Richmond gear kept saying that my carrier was bad. I finally put an Auburn LSD in, and never looked back. The Powertrax No Slip went right to the landfill. A waste of $400.
I would of taken that power trax no slip off your hands.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 PM

Just for the record I have no problems driving in the snow and ice with the open diffs. I grew up with it and learned how to drive in it over my 34 years as a licensed driver. The only time I have used 4wd was to get moving before I replaced the tires that came with the Jeep. I am more looking to improve the offroad performance without hurting the winter/street driving too much.

I had never heard of Lokka before. Talk about inexpensive. Just over $400 USD for both That is cheap enough that I may just buy them to try them out and if I don't like them I can always put the open diff guts back in. Add in the free shipping to Canada it almost makes it a lock (pun intended)

Last edited by SG Mason; 01-17-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo fix, I am only 50 not 60
Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

If you don't use 4wd in the snow then throw a lokka in the front and see if the noise is exceptable. The front is best place for it if you only have one.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:11 PM

I ordered up some aussie lockers for mine. Great price and shipping is very reasonable. I have read a lot of great reviews on them and the cust service so far has been great. Also they are made in the usa.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

Lokka's for my second winter. No complaints.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
If you don't use 4wd in the snow then throw a lokka in the front and see if the noise is exceptable. The front is best place for it if you only have one.
But the price, with shipping for both front and back is so cheap I might as well do them both at the same time

Originally Posted by R6BLUE03
I ordered up some aussie lockers for mine. Great price and shipping is very reasonable. I have read a lot of great reviews on them and the cust service so far has been great. Also they are made in the usa.
Aussie and Lokka locker are the same thing, or so they were till 2012. The ones made on Rochester are about $50 more each. I am guessing the price difference is for licensing/patent fees. Even though Rochester NY is only about 230 mile from me I would rather have that extra $100 in my pocket

From the Lokka web site:
LOKKA has been manufactured in Australia since the late 1990’s and has been sold globally under its own brand name or re-branded for local resellers.
From 2003 to 2012 it was best known in North America under the brand name Aussie Locker™*
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 PM

Engine: 4.0 H.O

I Just put a lokka in the front of mine works great. Little load at first but i'm happy with it.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by SG Mason
But the price, with shipping for both front and back is so cheap I might as well do them both at the same time
I just said that because you mentioned driveabilty. One in the front in 2wd wouldn't really change much. Guess a locked rear wouldn't with that much snow driving experience.

Quick Reply: best Lunchbox Locker?