Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginner Needing Help

Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Beginner Needing Help

Hey all,

I recently picked up a 1994 Cherokee Sport, as I had got tired of my little sedans.

It has a few issues, and the previous owner gave me a few parts for it as well when I purchased it. So, I will just go on down the list on issues, and parts I am looking for.

Any and all help is appreciated.

-To start, Im getting the famed 'death wobble' (or what I believe to be) at around 55 MPH. The car came with a 3" lift, it has 33" tires and the cheap 15" rims. From what I can see, all parts are stock, aside from what was required for the lift. Once letting up on the gas, the wobble goes away. I have not gotten it balanced, aligned, or the such since I purchased it. I believe the last owner did, but I have not been able to contact the previous owner to confirm. I have no idea where to start.

-The shifter handle is worn, and most of the sliding cover on the base is pretty much non existent. I am looking for a nice modernized shifter handle, as well as the parking brake handle to match (or close to it), and one for the handle for 4 wheel drive (still unsure of the proper name).

-Because of the lift and the wobble, I am really hesitant to mount my spare on a roof rack as intended, and want to mount it in the rear instead. I have been searching all over for a side-folding mount, similar to Wranglers. I usually need access to the trunk, so it needs to be an easily used locking system. I am hoping to mount my spare tire (same specs as my standards), and 2 jerry cans (1 for gas, 1 for tools).

-The top liner is coming off, and am looking to replace it. I am looking for a specific fabric (military spec), but I need to know what kind of backing it needs to have to properly stick, as the fabric by itself is extremely expensive, and dont want to waste my money.

-I am looking for a front bumper that can hold two lights, has a wench spot, and has hooks on it. I am not looking to spend a lot, but it needs to be somewhat rugged.

-I am also looking for some type of liner for the trunk. I have a 12" sub and amp, a small tool box, and my gear box for training always in the back. Just looking for something that can easily be cleaned off from dirt and debris.

I have searched google since I have been looking for these parts, and have looked at this forum with no luck.
Any and all help is appreciated. I am sorry if I sound childish, however, the entire Jeep scene is new to me.
Any links, custom fabricators, shops, or any other information would be wonderful.

If this is in the wrong place, please direct me to where is needs to go.

Thanks to all
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

On the death wobble it can be a long list of things wrong from track bar to ball joints.Take a picture of your front suspension from the front so we can see if the track bar and steering link are at the same angle.On the shifter you can get another oem one or a upgrade one is http://www.radesignsproducts.com/RockShifter.html The parking brake you could make something aftermarket work.On the t case shifter that controls your 4x4 only thing different i seen for that was a rock http://www.quadratec.com/products/96117_111.htm
On the spare tire carrier your thinking about a swing out carrier right ?That you have a ton of options http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJB/XJ-R-DX.html
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1013.htm http://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_8102_07.htm
On the sub talk to https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/xj...y-10-a-120210/ he can make a box for a single 12 inch sub.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblade
Hey all,

I recently picked up a 1994 Cherokee Sport, as I had got tired of my little sedans.

It has a few issues, and the previous owner gave me a few parts for it as well when I purchased it. So, I will just go on down the list on issues, and parts I am looking for.

-To start, Im getting the famed 'death wobble' (or what I believe to be) at around 55 MPH. The car came with a 3" lift, it has 33" tires and the cheap 15" rims. From what I can see, all parts are stock, aside from what was required for the lift. Once letting up on the gas, the wobble goes away. I have not gotten it balanced, aligned, or the such since I purchased it. I believe the last owner did, but I have not been able to contact the previous owner to confirm. I have no idea where to start.

-The shifter handle is worn, and most of the sliding cover on the base is pretty much non existent. I am looking for a nice modernized shifter handle, as well as the parking brake handle to match (or close to it), and one for the handle for 4 wheel drive (still unsure of the proper name).

-Because of the lift and the wobble, I am really hesitant to mount my spare on a roof rack as intended, and want to mount it in the rear instead. I have been searching all over for a side-folding mount, similar to Wranglers. I usually need access to the trunk, so it needs to be an easily used locking system. I am hoping to mount my spare tire (same specs as my standards), and 2 jerry cans (1 for gas, 1 for tools).

-The top liner is coming off, and am looking to replace it. I am looking for a specific fabric (military spec), but I need to know what kind of backing it needs to have to properly stick, as the fabric by itself is extremely expensive, and dont want to waste my money.

-I am looking for a front bumper that can hold two lights, has a wench spot, and has hooks on it. I am not looking to spend a lot, but it needs to be somewhat rugged.

-I am also looking for some type of liner for the trunk. I have a 12" sub and amp, a small tool box, and my gear box for training always in the back. Just looking for something that can easily be cleaned off from dirt and debris.

I have searched google since I have been looking for these parts, and have looked at this forum with no luck.
Any and all help is appreciated. I am sorry if I sound childish, however, the entire Jeep scene is new to me.
Any links, custom fabricators, shops, or any other information would be wonderful.

Thanks to all
First off welcome to been an XJ (slave) owner,

Wobble can be fixed with an alignment, first you can check it your self by parking on a flat level drive way center your wheels and with a peace of white chalk make a level lat line in the middle of your front tires then with the tread pick a spot and make an X front and back on the lat line you made do the same on the other tire use a tape mesuer and make a note of the front number and then check the back of the tire if the numbers are more than a 1/4 of an inch off you can change it buy turning the driver side tie rod in or out a turn at a time, till you get closer to the 1/4 if you get there have it so the 1/4 you want the front of the tire to be toe in

/ Front \

I can get pics if you need it

The shift handle if jus a personal taste parts houses are a good place to look jc Whitney is a cheep place to find stuff too but if you make the nearest pick n pull your second home that can be the cheapest way to go for a lot of stuff.

The bumper question this web site is the cheapest so far that I have found is www.landlfabrication.com

Pull out all the carpet and seats and rhino line it my opinion.

The best two books that I have almost read to death are, a Chilton's for your year and High-Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builders Guide 1984-2002 by Eric Zappe

I can send pics to help if need be.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Silverblade
Hey all,

At 3inches you shouldnt have anything wrong with the setups angles... it is probly running a stock trac bar, stock lower arms, stock shocks, stock brake lines... all this is perfectly fine with 3in... i would look more into these listed and in order from what should be cheapest to most expensive

Balance tires
Check balljoints, but if you dont know how...
get an alignment... tell them your problem and they will know how to check your balljoints and any other joints properly.
Wheelbearings/hub assemblys

Dont waste money on a steering stabilizer as some may tell you to try... it in most cases will fix the issue but is a bandaid to the real problem and only masks it...

cant help you here since ive always had manuals pretty much... if it was me i would just buy a new stock one...

the spare will be fine on the roof even with this little death wobble issue... but if you must there are a number of rear bumpers with built in tire carriers and all... prepare to spend upwards of $700-$1000 and be sure to check the venders section to see if anyone there can help you out. Most give discounts threw the forum.

You would be fine using the factory backing boards if you dont tear them up... use a good quality 3M spray Adhesive and you will be fine... or take and let a pro do it... i hate doing them... lol

as states L&L is gonna be your best bet... lots more options just above his pricing though...

recommend Rugged Ridge brand...

Thanks to all
Some good sites to take a look at are
teamcherokee.com
morris4x4's site (google actual site)
quadratec.com
4wd.com

there are many fab companies we can direct you too but not sure if your ready to build 1 ton axles for your jeep.... yet....