Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beefier steering upgrade?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default Beefier steering upgrade?

Okay so I'm at 5" with 33s. And I have stock steering and it just feels so like not enough you know? Like twit feels like it needs to be sturdier when I steer and everything and I just want a solid feel when driving when it comes to steering. Now, would just upgrading the tie rod do anything or do I need to invest in a wholes teering upgrade? I'd prefer to keep the cost low as I have a huge list of other parts I want just as every other jeep owner aha. Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Check out this UTK 1 ton kit with inserts:

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ath=1231_2092&
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

The cheapest is to swap in a zj tie rod. The xj is hollow and the zj is solid. Will make a noticeable difference on the cheap. Not the best upgrade but worth every penny if budget is tight. Should be able to pick up new from napa for about $140 with ends.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

UTK setup, durango box, IRO spacer and frame reinforcement are my plans. Im at 3" on 33's.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by Grip
durango box.
do some research on this. Durango box needs a higher flowing pump at least. my Durango "upgrade" was a big letdown from it's praised internet reputation

OP the ZJ tie rod is more than strong enough. it's also the cheapest option. it will hold up great but does nothing to fix the crappy steering angles at 5" of lift.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by RubberSideUp
Check out this UTK 1 ton kit with inserts:

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ath=1231_2092&
ive got this steering kit. love it serious off road has got some good stuff. ill have theyre long arms eventually
Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by cleenrob
ive got this steering kit. love it serious off road has got some good stuff. ill have theyre long arms eventually
X2
Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Would a rustys hd tie rod upgrade be good? I don't do serious wheeling just mild once in a while and it's my dd. so not looking for a huge 1 ton upgrade but something to have a stronger feel.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by FreddyD'Apice
Would a rustys hd tie rod upgrade be good? I don't do serious wheeling just mild once in a while and it's my dd. so not looking for a huge 1 ton upgrade but something to have a stronger feel.
A zj tie rod is lime 20$ at the junk yard and just as strong. I had a JY one till I Jackie up the threads (my fault) then got a mood replacement. It worked great and I probably wouldn't have changed it if I hadn't inherited the serious steering
Old 03-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by cleenrob
A zj tie rod is lime 20$ at the junk yard and just as strong. I had a JY one till I Jackie up the threads (my fault) then got a mood replacement. It worked great and I probably wouldn't have changed it if I hadn't inherited the serious steering
Do all junk yards allow pulling parts and stuff? And should I take the drag links and all ends?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
do some research on this. Durango box needs a higher flowing pump at least. my Durango "upgrade" was a big letdown from it's praised internet reputation

OP the ZJ tie rod is more than strong enough. it's also the cheapest option. it will hold up great but does nothing to fix the crappy steering angles at 5" of lift.
I have done research on the 99 Durango v8 box, and have never heard anyone mention needing a better pump to run it besides you.

Ill look into it though. I have no problem upgrading pumps.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Well it's a bigger box with a bigger bore so I'd assume it needs a better pump. When I first installed it I sat in my buddies rig who had the same size tires with a stock box. I couldn't really feel any difference between our steering. Except that I had lost turning radius.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Ok, i just did research on your theory. Basically you are wrong. Dont get offended, it was a good theory and made sense to me, until i researched it. Hundreds of people use the durango box on stock xj pumps with zero issues.

It is a larger bore, but it doesn't need a bigger pump, it uses slightly more fluid than the stock box, but not more fluid that the resivoir holds. Its a bolt in upgrade which makes turning large heavy tires/wheels easier due to the gearing. You still get 3-3.5 turns lock to lock, and nobody notices a difference on road.

There are two guys on pirate who just happened to have leaks from their pumps after a durango box install. Turns out the seals in the pump just needed replacing. The same thread shows the DIY for that.

A durango box, box spacer, and frame brace/plate are all that is needed.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

I didn't say it would have issues. I just said I didn't notice anything special about it. check out the WJ pump upgrade. it's a $60 pump iirc and you just have to mod it slightly. do your Durango box first then get this pump and let me know how it feels before and after.

otherwise I'd just leave the stock box in there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...74/index2.html
http://www.nwjeepn.com/SteeringGear.html

guess this was the thread for me. if you lose turning radius be prepared to mess with this
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=915103

I think the correct, or modded, Durango box with a steering pump upgrade would be great. but for me it's more hassle than it's worth. I've got a YJ gear box sitting in my trunk ready to be modded for hydro. I think I'll be much happier
Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Not all JY are you pull it style. If you find one the prices are definitely worth it. I went with the NAPA option for the lifetime warranty and knew I would get ends that I could trust nor would I have to clean it up. As for the draglink all the write ups I looked at it said it wasnt worth using one from. ZJ. Just the rod and ends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beefier steering upgrade?