Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedlined Interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bedlined Interior

So about half a year ago I decided it was time to rip the carpet out and bedline the floors, as a cooler had spilled in the trunk causing the worst smell, along with mold. So I did my research, trying to make sure I was going about it the right way. I spent hours prepping the floor (washing, scuff sanding, washing again, undercoating) and finally applying two decently thick coats of rust oleum roll on. Now I know that there seems to be better options such as monstaliner or even rhino liner, but with my budget rust oleum seemed to be the biggest bang for my buck. It actually turned out satisfactory, and seemed to do the job. That is until I realized that my floor mats had started to pull away bedliner in certain spots they had been laying on > so now a few months later as I think I cannot decide what how to repair/reapply bedliner and also never come accoss this problem again. I apologize for the lengthy post but I figured I would try to help you guys get an idea and maybe get a solution to this. If I need to post pictures I would be glad to when I can
Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I feel like you could take a heavy wire wheel to it in the weakest areas to pull off the parts that are coming off and to scruff up the stronger areas, then apply a more expensive type and it would do the job. I used herculiner myself and did several coats. Never had an issue and it's gone through 5+ years of abuse. Just make sure to get up any of the existing liner that is coming up an it should work. This may not be the best route but it would work in my opinion. Another, slightly more expensive route is with a product called Por 15. It is not rough like a bed liner but will work in the same way and will not come up.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM

I appreciate the help. I'm going to sand the areas down and wash them. Then hopefully I can put some new bedliner down and see how that goes
Old 11-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Its all in the prep work. Perhaps there was something still on the surface you overlooked that didn't allow it to adhere? Did this on a previous XJ, and you could see where I neglected to clean as well as the rest. At least its not the whole floor.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM

My Brother-in-law used Herculiner on his Toyota and it was very rough and almost sharp. In less than a year it was flaking and peeling off in big patches. very bad. He is a body guy so he knows his stuff. My XJ had very bad rust from some leaks not fixed by the previous owner so when it came time for me to fix my floor we tried the Monstaliner with the Chassis saver coating first. All I can say is amazing. Both incredible products and very easy to apply. Make sure you can do it when it's about 60deg F and not raining. Maybe in the garage if you can. Second coat in the middle of the night had some issues because it was raining but it still cured fine. 1 quart of Chassis saver did 3 coats (rust killer and sealer) and one gallon of the Monstaliner did a full 2 coats on my XJ tub. Couldn't be happier. Now all my friends are going to use the monstaliner on their tubs. The texture is created by the roller so it's a nice wavy almost orange peel feel. Very nice. The Herculiner get the texture from the rubber crumbs they put in it. I'm glad the other guy had good luck with it but I've seen some horrible results from that product. Monstaliner is the way to go in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:12 PM

@jeepconvert I'm not surprised to hear another good review on monstaliner haha. When it comes time to repaint the outside of my jeep I've already decided to go with monstaliner. I think the UV resistant factor is what's cool about it. The only negative is the price IMO
Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 AM

Year: 1997

Herculiner works great for me. I used por-15 first then Herculiner over it and its held up great. In side my jeep and out side.