Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bastard pack; s-10 vs dakota

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 liter
Default Bastard pack; s-10 vs dakota

Well, here's the update to my xj bastard pack build and install. I had both the s-10 and dakota spring sets to chose from. Based on the age of the vehicles and overall appearance of both sets, I went with the dakota springs. I built the pack just the way it is described by bleepin jeep on youtube.

After I got the pack painted and put together, I reinstalled the spring packs under the xj. First thing to note that was different than bleepin jeeps video was that I could not reuse the factory u bolts....should have been a clue. I put the xj back together and set it back down to measure how much lift was gained. 4 1/2" gained over my stock spring pack. OPPS!

I was looking for 3 inches. 3-1/2" max. The dakota pack had a really short bottom spring that I now figure was an overload/helper spring. It was about 5/8" thick and stiff as....I'll just leave that alone. Anyway, had I given it more thought when the stock u-bolts would not work I might have saved myself the trouble of taking the packs back out and rebuilding them again without that bottom leaf.

Moral of this is that there is some really good help on this forum and youtube but one needs to pay attention to the details. If it don't work as described, stop building and figure out why yours is different.

I will update the xj bastard pack lift when I get it redone...NASCAR for now. Jeepin' later.

Happy Jeepin'
Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

OK.....redid the whole rear end springs today. Took the overload/helper spring out of the bastard pack. Bolted it all back up, set it down and WahLaah. 3-1/4" lift from the Dakota bastard pack. On to the new track bar next.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

What year of Dakota did you pull the springs from? I'm looking to do the same on the newest XJ I picked up. Also assuming you used the XJ main leaf and 4th leaf, then added the 2nd and 3rd from the Dakota pack?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

My $0.02, I used the springs off of a Blazer removing the top two leafs but then I bought the Dorman stock replacements and used the top leaf off of that. The extra money spent was worth it in my mind since I would get new bushings all around all I had to do was drill out the top leaf to fit the spring pack bolt. You also have to drill out the pedestal hole a little too. I also installed new u bolts and shackles. I was hoping for about 2.5" but got closer to 3 or 3.25". I also replaced the shocks, didn't do anything with the sway bar yet since the leafs don't really allow for much play anyway
Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kcdt58
What year of Dakota did you pull the springs from? I'm looking to do the same on the newest XJ I picked up. Also assuming you used the XJ main leaf and 4th leaf, then added the 2nd and 3rd from the Dakota pack?
The Dakota was an early 80's, 82 I think. I did in fact use the stock xj main spring. The final pack built was the remaining Dakota springs cutting the eyes off the Dakota main and using the rest minus what appeared to be a add a leaf or overload spring that was in the set. The one left out was about 5/8" thick and about 18" long. It will be obvious that it don't belong because you will not be able to use the stock u-bolts.

The result was the exact number I was looking for as far as lift goes. 3-1/4" I used a rough country front 3" lift with their upgraded shocks, front and rear.

If you go 3" in the front, go ahead and purchase the adjustable track bar. You will need it to center the front axle again.

Pretty happy with the whole thing. I don't understand why RC sales or sends out a kit that does not lift the xj equally. They do, to their credit state that the add a leaf they send out only provides a 1-1/2" to 2" lift. You have to read their ad carefully to find it. I called them about it and was simply told that you can "upgrade" to the 3 inch lift rear springs. BS as far as I'm concerned.

You can build the pack easy enough, take your time and do your research.

Happy Jeepin'
Old 03-13-2017, 10:09 PM

I wanted the Bastard pack for the added weight capacity as well as a little lift.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Found this on the forum
Attached Images