Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic lift + tire + maintenance ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Basic lift + tire + maintenance ?'s

I have a 3.5 inch lift, sporting 32 inch all terrains. There are a few things I am wondering.

1. As far as street use goes, are those tires too big for a daily driver? Are they going to significantly impact the life of my suspension?

2. I get an occasional knock when making a sharp turn, wide turns not so much. Actually, never. Can the CV shaft be held accountable for this?

3. What are common symptoms of needing suspension work?

4. A tight turn, like one you would make pulling into a parking spot, makes the Jeep "jump" a little. I've chalked this up to just a fact of life with bigger tires. True?

5. How crucial is it for the suspension that all 4 tires are of similar pressure? (this is just something I have been lazy about. I filled em at a gas station and my gauge is in my other vehicle. So I haven't verified. Feels like one side is slightly heavier.)

Last edited by WamBaLam; 12-04-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Tires are fine for a DD, your air pressure should be the same in all 4 tires or can cause several different problems.

The popping noise in the front end could be worn ball joints or any number of things it need to be checked out by someone.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

32s are fine, I run 33s, some people run 35s others run 37s even. Depends on how comfortable you like being 32 are a fine size to run. The clicking while you turn and 'jumping' is your axle u joints, they're going bad. Cherokees don't use cv joints. Suspension maitnenece? Checking the torque of your bolts occasionally helps. For a smoother ride you can think about a nice set of shocks, longer control arms, proper shackle angle and making sure your tires are balanced and your xj is aligned.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

The jumping could also be attributed to your tries hitting your control arms but I lol guarantee it's your u joints
Old 12-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by burg3rlicious
32s are fine, I run 33s, some people run 35s others run 37s even. Depends on how comfortable you like being 32 are a fine size to run. The clicking while you turn and 'jumping' is your axle u joints, they're going bad. Cherokees don't use cv joints. Suspension maitnenece? Checking the torque of your bolts occasionally helps. For a smoother ride you can think about a nice set of shocks, longer control arms, proper shackle angle and making sure your tires are balanced and your xj is aligned.
guess the shop I was at wanted to make a quick buck. They told me CV. Reassuring to know all these mechanics have no understanding of the vehicle or are cons :/
Old 12-04-2014, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by WamBaLam
guess the shop I was at wanted to make a quick buck. They told me CV. Reassuring to know all these mechanics have no understanding of the vehicle or are cons :/
well to play the devils advocate, you could have cv axles shafts, its not hard to believe who ever had it before you that they swapped shafts thinking they are stronger or just a quick fix for a broken shaft or seized u-joint. only way to tell is to look and/or post pics for us.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
well to play the devils advocate, you could have cv axles shafts, its not hard to believe who ever had it before you that they swapped shafts thinking they are stronger or just a quick fix for a broken shaft or seized u-joint. only way to tell is to look and/or post pics for us.
Ah. I see. Okay, I'll see if I can get a snap of it for ya when the sun comes back out then.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
Yeah, RCV makes awesome ones for the xj. Post pics if you can.