Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AX-15 and H.O. Swap Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AX-15 and H.O. Swap Problems

So I just finished my swap a couple weeks back in my 4dr 89 XJ. Everything came together pretty nicely it was just sort of a timely process "especially the tps conversion dealio".

I decided it would be a smart idea to test the strength of the drivetrain. So me and my cocky attitude went and dumped the clutch at 3200rpms. Snapped the u-joint bolts right out from the coupler on the pumpkin at the rear axle and mangled the u-joint clamps.

Extracted the snapped bolts from the coupler and fixed that in about a half hour with a new u-joint and replacement clamps and bolts.

My new issue after this scenario is my clutch chatters pretty aggressively when letting out in 1st or reverse. Doesn't matter what rpm I let the clutch out at. I did purchase a brand new flywheel for the conversion and reused the old sachs clutch and pressure plate which appeared to be in very good shape.

I'm thinking either one of my brand new engine mounts or my new trans mount is loose some how or something clutch related just took a deuce.

Ideas, tips, hints are all welcome!!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Takedown
So I just finished my swap a couple weeks back in my 4dr 89 XJ. Everything came together pretty nicely it was just sort of a timely process "especially the tps conversion dealio".

I decided it would be a smart idea to test the strength of the drivetrain. So me and my cocky attitude went and dumped the clutch at 3200rpms. Snapped the u-joint bolts right out from the coupler on the pumpkin at the rear axle and mangled the u-joint clamps.

Extracted the snapped bolts from the coupler and fixed that in about a half hour with a new u-joint and replacement clamps and bolts.

My new issue after this scenario is my clutch chatters pretty aggressively when letting out in 1st or reverse. Doesn't matter what rpm I let the clutch out at. I did purchase a brand new flywheel for the conversion and reused the old sachs clutch and pressure plate which appeared to be in very good shape.

I'm thinking either one of my brand new engine mounts or my new trans mount is loose some how or something clutch related just took a deuce.

Ideas, tips, hints are all welcome!!
How old?

Is it only in first gear? Does it slip in other gears?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Battle
How old?

Is it only in first gear? Does it slip in other gears?
Yes just when the clutch is disengaged & starting to engage. Leads me to think theres either a wet spot on the flywheel or something came loose??
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Try this. Get it up into 4th gear at about 40 MPH and slip the clutch about 5 times. Park it and let it cool off. Drive again the next day and see how it is.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM

What exactly will this fix? Just burning off left over residue from the flywheel and clutch disk?
Old 08-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your motor and trans mounts, if you trashed a ujoint I can almost guarantee you trashed one of them as well.
We're they stock or aftermarket? Stock mounts really aren't up to what you just attempted. Did you replace he trans mount or use an old one?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:54 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Takedown
What exactly will this fix? Just burning off left over residue from the flywheel and clutch disk?
Trues up the disc so it isn't dragging between the pressure plate and flywheel when it's beginning to engage.