Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AW4 interchange questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AW4 interchange questions

New guy here, fishing for information before I begin a AW4 swap on my grand Wagoneer. I have a 97 and up (can't remember the exact year) parts Cherokee with a good low mileage trans.
From the early reading I've done this jeep does not have the standalone transmission controller like the earlier models. Does this transmission still work with the earlier harness and electronics? If so what year do I need to source a harness and controller from?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a whole lot of reading, but you should find what you need here.http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970
Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.
I downloaded the diagrams for my 99 Cherokee. It is a standalone transmission controller as well. The TPS is the only thing the TCM needs that the ECM supplies the 5volt reference signal for. I will just buy a step down transformer to generate the 5volt. The TCM needs brake pedal feedback, constant 12v and switched 12v. Looks like a very straight forward swap electronically.