Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Automatic Transmission Issues

Ok, so I tried posting this in the OEM tech and no one replied, so I'm posting it here because you guys have come through for me in the past.

Ok, so, I have a 99 xj and I was driving on the freeway the other day. I got off and stopped at a light. When the light turned green, I tried to accelerate and realized my Jeep was still in 4th gear. I shifted it manually and it was fine. Stopped at the store and got some things, when I turned it back on it worked fine until I got off the freeway again. It finally threw code P0715 which is the transmission speed sensor. A few days later I was driving and my gauges (volts gauge in particular) all started acting up.

Question 1- There is an input transmission speed sensor and an output transmission speed sensor. Am I right in assuming that the one I need to replace is the output?

Question 2- Is the gauge issue linked to the trans speed sensor?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99XJguy
Ok, so I tried posting this in the OEM tech and no one replied, so I'm posting it here because you guys have come through for me in the past.

Ok, so, I have a 99 xj and I was driving on the freeway the other day. I got off and stopped at a light. When the light turned green, I tried to accelerate and realized my Jeep was still in 4th gear. I shifted it manually and it was fine. Stopped at the store and got some things, when I turned it back on it worked fine until I got off the freeway again. It finally threw code P0715 which is the transmission speed sensor. A few days later I was driving and my gauges (volts gauge in particular) all started acting up.

Question 1- There is an input transmission speed sensor and an output transmission speed sensor. Am I right in assuming that the one I need to replace is the output?

Question 2- Is the gauge issue linked to the trans speed sensor?
Yes the output on the back of the tranny is the only one you should be concerned with.

Check the wiring first. You can also do an ohms test on it.

The speed sensor should not give you gauge troubles. However it is possible that the gauge problem could be linked to the speed sensor problem if you know what I mean.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: turbo 4.0l

there is a speed sensor on the left side torwads the back of the trans might be bad? maybe a bad ground? on the right side of the engine torwads the back there are 3 big plugs those are the trans harrenes might have some corrosion?
sorry dont have a soild answer but thas what i would start with
as far as the gauge's when it act's up tap the gauges and see if that help