Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Wink Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

i have xj 1990 limited automatic transmission 4x4 with Np242 i want to swap it to manual transmission ??

can anyone help me this ... what Transmission should i go with ... what do i need to do it right ??? will I have any problems?? what about tps and idle air ??
Old 12-20-2014, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your jeep isn't sentimental I'd probably sell I and buy one with a manual already in it. Else the easiest thing would be to buy another jeep with a blown engine or that's been wrecked and swap everything. You'll need a bunch of random **** that you'll probably forget or not think of until you're about to bolt the new tranny up.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Find yourself the ax-15 transmission
Old 12-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

one ? , why ? unless you just like the idea of exercising your left leg.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by srb53150
one ? , why ? unless you just like the idea of exercising your left leg.
manual trans are awesome.. I wish mine was manual, I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes
Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

Originally Posted by 1998blackXJ
manual trans are awesome.. I wish mine was manual, I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes
to each his own, but consider that all awesome & totally able competition / offroad racing rigs use a auto trans. theres a reason for that, better control of the rig.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

You may want to reconsider changing to a weaker trans, but if you do you will need to buy a second XJ that has a manual in it so you will have all the pieces that you will need. Along with changing the gears in both differentials or swapping them from the other XJ.

Its quite a lot of work and you should have a shop to work in this time of year because of the time involved in the swap.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
You may want to reconsider changing to a weaker trans, but if you do you will need to buy a second XJ that has a manual in it so you will have all the pieces that you will need. Along with changing the gears in both differentials or swapping them from the other XJ.

Its quite a lot of work and you should have a shop to work in this time of year because of the time involved in the swap.
Yeah, cause I see ax15's blow up all the time...

Why would he need to change gears? That is completely unnecessary.

OP, there are thousands of threads on this topic. Search using google and I promise you will find something.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Engine: 4.0L

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...thread-258497/

This thread is the most detailed I've found on a swap like this, but there are many more. I'm getting ready to attempt this swap as well, mostly because I already have the parts vehicle so it was more my attempt at saving money....and I love driving with a 5spd.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Totally agree with the OP, manuals are awesome

Me personally bought a 2000XJ with a blown AW4, and ending it up swapping an AX-15 from a 92, not the one I want (internal slave) but the one I was able to get for cheap.

New master clutch cylinder, new slave and lines, get used pedal asembly, new clutch and hands on

Couple of days later I was driving the XJ without any issue!

Did not worry about the gear ratio, it feels good and drives awesome, no need to worry, also I swapped the speedo gear from the old TC to the new one, so speed reading is as good as it used to be with the old tranny
Old 12-24-2014, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

OP - search out an AX15 for sure. You can learn a lot on the swap from Novak - don't be shy to call them for information.

Originally Posted by srb53150
to each his own, but consider that all awesome & totally able competition / offroad racing rigs use a auto trans. theres a reason for that, better control of the rig.
That's a domestic/american mentality. look at the rest of the world and you will not find this to be true. Still though, to each their own. Drive the 4.0 with a manual and you will easily see why it's better.

Originally Posted by 1998blackXJ
Yes, yes they are. I will NEVER own anything automatic.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

I drive a stick myself but it's all about skill and preference. I would go with Mr white's suggestion unless there's some other overiding factor. Not worth the effort when there's plenty of availability. However, don't worry about strength of ax15's. The kind of abuse that would break one would break the auto as well.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
Yeah, cause I see ax15's blow up all the time...

Why would he need to change gears? That is completely unnecessary.

OP, there are thousands of threads on this topic. Search using google and I promise you will find something.
Clutch's are the weak link on any manual transmission and one that need replacement on a regular basis. As far as ratings for the 2 transmissions go the AW4 does have a higher rating for towing and GVWR.

I never said that the AX15's blew up all the time my statement was from an overall use/GVWR/cost factor during ownership. These were from what I had found from fleet usage of the 2 trans in same type trucks 3/4 ton over 200k mi a trading point. There are not a single manual trans that is made today for light trucks that is rated higher than an auto, and has not been for quite a few years now.

Personally I would like to try an XJ with an AX15 in it some time on the trails to see how it does.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 12-24-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
-Clutch's are the weak link on any manual transmission and one that need replacement on a regular basis.

-As far as ratings for the 2 transmissions go the AW4 does have a higher rating for towing and GVWR.

-Anybody who's toasting clutches frequently will be doing even more damage to an auto trans.

-Where did you read that? because Novak's site has the AW4 listed as a light duty transmission and the AX15 as a medium duty transmission.

You're probably not going to actually 'break' either transmission, and the aw4 is a decent trans in it's own right.. but the AX15 will handle far more abuse before it craps out on you.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by lualchro
Totally agree with the OP, manuals are awesome

Me personally bought a 2000XJ with a blown AW4, and ending it up swapping an AX-15 from a 92, not the one I want (internal slave) but the one I was able to get for cheap.

New master clutch cylinder, new slave and lines, get used pedal asembly, new clutch and hands on

Couple of days later I was driving the XJ without any issue!

Did not worry about the gear ratio, it feels good and drives awesome, no need to worry, also I swapped the speedo gear from the old TC to the new one, so speed reading is as good as it used to be with the old tranny
Question, i just bought a ax15 out of a 90 mj and dont know what all i need to do to convert my 99 since you've done the swap could you give me some insight?

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Transmission Swap