Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Ravine wheels with spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Anyone running Ravine wheels with spacers?

I'm running 15x8 Ravine wheels with Cooper STT 31x10.50x15 tires. I love the look but it really bugs me that the tires sit in too much when they should be flush with the fender or stick out a bit more.

That being said, is there anyone running Ravine wheels with spacers? If so, what size spacer are you running? Pictures would be awesome to!

I am thinking that 1.5" spacers might be alright but I don't know if thats too much.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Not what you want to hear but if possible try to use the proper wheel with a 3 3/4-4" BS and no spacers.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Not what you want to hear but if possible try to use the proper wheel with a 3 3/4-4" BS and no spacers.
I know, trust me. I just really like the look of the Ravine wheels. I was planning on using proper spacers though, not the cheap dangerous kinds.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Been running Rough Country 1.25" spacers for three years with zero problems.

This is not a knock against anyone, but I hear all the time about "cheap" and "dangerous" spacers, but I don't know what that really means. They're all made out of machined aluminum. Maybe some have crappy hardware instead of grade 5 / grade 8 stuff, but anyway...

The Rough Country units were the cheapest I could find anywhere, and they've been fine. Just install them properly and you shouldn't have issues. Clean the mounting surface well, use blue Loctite on the threads, etc.

For reference, I have a 2" lift in the pics shown, and I'm running 235-75-15 Firestone Destination AT tires, which work out to about a 29" tall tire, and mine will probably be about 1.5"-2" narrower than yours, so you can add about an inch of projection past the flares over what you see on mine. The pics get older as you go down, but it's the same lift/wheel/tire/spacer combo in all of them.

Edit: For got to mention... From the standpoint of physics there is no more pressure applied to the hub and wheel studs when using spacers as there is when using the same sized wheel and tire but with deeper backspacing. At the end of the day, your leverage is still "X" amount of space away from the hub. Now, some may argue that you could suffer a higher incidence of breakage between the spacer and the hub. Key word being "could". But again, if you make sure everything is clean (use wire brush and sandpapaer where spacer meets hub) and mount everything with grade 5 or better, use Loctite, and PROPERLY TORQUE that bolts, I really don't think you'll have any issues.

Last edited by macgyver35; 08-01-2014 at 06:03 PM.