Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running the eBay mud tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default Anyone running the eBay mud tires?

I'm very budget minded and would really prefer not to purchase one of the $200+ per tire mt's. I'll run my 31's for everyday then put these on only for the trails. That being said, I'm not interested in road manners/mileage info, just info pertaining to rock traction, lug chunking and sidewall strength. Mainly rocks, sometimes kinda sharp, where I go. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I seriously hope your joking. Your gonna have a set of mud tires just to offroad with and go cheap. Like super cheap? The kendas are the best of what you showed but thats not saying much. I seriously doubt any of those tires are worth a crap. Probably last you less then half the life of decent tires. So in the long run you'll be paying more. Plus you'll be hating your decision when your stuck evrywhere. You can't justv slap some tires on and expect them all to perform the same. A lot of factors determine performance and not just the tread style. Sorry to rain on your parade man but come on.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If you expect very little from those tires they might get you by. In this case you definitely get what you pay for. Youre really only saving a couple hundred bucks over a good set of tires.

You'd have better luck spending twice as much on a set of tires and they would likely outlast 2 sets of the cheap-o's

I usually go here for all my reviews.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...angler-MTR.htm
Old 01-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I seriously hope your joking. Your gonna have a set of mud tires just to offroad with and go cheap. Like super cheap? The kendas are the best of what you showed but thats not saying much. I seriously doubt any of those tires are worth a crap. Probably last you less then half the life of decent tires. So in the long run you'll be paying more. Plus you'll be hating your decision when your stuck evrywhere. You can't justv slap some tires on and expect them all to perform the same. A lot of factors determine performance and not just the tread style. Sorry to rain on your parade man but come on.
Nope. Not joking. Just doing research. If any of these are decent I could save several hundred bucks, or more depending on which name brand tire chosen. I had heard of the Kenda but didn't remember if it was good or bad. Never said I expected them all to preform the same, was just wondering if anyone had any actual experience, god or bad, with any of these tires.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by 96TEXjAS
Nope. Not joking. Just doing research. If any of these are decent I could save several hundred bucks, or more depending on which name brand tire chosen. I had heard of the Kenda but didn't remember if it was good or bad. Never said I expected them all to preform the same, was just wondering if anyone had any actual experience, god or bad, with any of these tires.
Ive seen quite a few people here run the kendas with very mixed results. Havent heard much about the others. Here is one, there is a bunch more if you search.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/an...221887/index2/
Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
If you expect very little from those tires they might get you by. In this case you definitely get what you pay for. Youre really only saving a couple hundred bucks over a good set of tires.

You'd have better luck spending twice as much on a set of tires and they would likely outlast 2 sets of the cheap-o's

I usually go here for all my reviews.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...angler-MTR.htm
I know it's a long shot but was just posting in case someone had a good experience with one of these. I usually read ppl complaining about getting low road mileage but otherwise liking the off-road performance of some no name or lower end tires and since I really don't want to slug around with 33's I'd use em only off-road hopefully extending their life. Thanks for the link. I think I've seen it b4 but didn't bookmark it.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

The initial cost yes you'll save money. In the long run no. You'll run through these tires 3 times as fast as even a mid tier tire. Being cheap in this situation will end up costing you more. If your going to have a set of tires solely dedicated to wheeling, why wouldnt yo get some that perform?

I have first hand with the kendas. They came on a Ford ranger I bought last may. Hated them. Performance offroad left a lot to be desired. Customers at the shop I work at echo my sentiments haha. But if you do actually decide to go budget friendly, the Kendas will be the best of the worst haha.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

I put some cheap China tires on my DD (not an off road vehicle). While they seem to be wearing fine and have decent traction, the big complaint I have is the paper thin sidewall. If those tires are anything like mine, I can see something like a branch or rock easily being able to slice through the sidewall. Check out Ohtsu tires. Supposed to be made by Falken. I saw they made a mud tire but not sure on quality.

Like everyone else is saying, just spend the extra $$$ on good tires. It will be well worth it. Just think if you pop one tire and have to buy another, you would be at the same price as a set of good tires that wont pop. I just received my BFG KO2s today. Well worth the extra money if you ask me! I was going to go the cheap route at first like you...
Old 01-05-2017, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
I put some cheap China tires on my DD (not an off road vehicle). While they seem to be wearing fine and have decent traction, the big complaint I have is the paper thin sidewall. If those tires are anything like mine, I can see something like a branch or rock easily being able to slice through the sidewall. Check out Ohtsu tires. Supposed to be made by Falken. I saw they made a mud tire but not sure on quality.

Like everyone else is saying, just spend the extra $$$ on good tires. It will be well worth it. Just think if you pop one tire and have to buy another, you would be at the same price as a set of good tires that wont pop. I just received my BFG KO2s today. Well worth the extra money if you ask me! I was going to go the cheap route at first like you...
This happensures a lot. Lots of people come into the shop wanting cheap tires, then get upset when they aren't performing great or have bad features.

the ko2s are nice right! One of the best tires on the market.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:19 PM

The initial cost yes you'll save money. In the long run no. You'll run through these tires 3 times as fast as even a mid tier tire. Being cheap in this situation will end up costing you more. If your going to have a set of tires solely dedicated to wheeling, why wouldnt yo get some that perform?

I have first hand with the kendas. They came on a Ford ranger I bought last may. Hated them. Performance offroad left a lot to be desired. Customers at the shop I work at echo my sentiments haha. But if you do actually decide to go budget friendly, the Kendas will be the best of the worst haha.

I actually sold tires years ago and sometimes the cheap house brand tire would blow away the expensive name brand ones so that's the only reason I asked about these. If I could get my hands on em I feel I could tell if the rubber was softer or the sidewall thin. Thanks for the first hand info on the Kenda's off-road performance tho, that is my main concern.

Of tires you have first hand experience with, what would be your choice? I like the BFG km2. Yrs ago I ran the old BFG MT and those 3 ply sidewalls were cut up big-time and still never went flat.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Perfect. That was my concern that the sidewall was thin. It said 6 ply, but you know... Falken was one of the cheaper tires we sold back in the day and were very good tires so that's why I was wondering if any of these turned out to be a hidden jem for someone.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

6 plys of paper thin wont get you very far.... If you could see and feel one in person, I bet it would help out your decision a lot.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

I actually sold tires years ago and sometimes the cheap house brand tire would blow away the expensive name brand ones so that's the only reason I asked about these. If I could get my hands on em I feel I could tell if the rubber was softer or the sidewall thin. Thanks for the first hand info on the Kenda's off-road performance tho, that is my main concern.

Of tires you have first hand experience with, what would be your choice? I like the BFG km2. Yrs ago I ran the old BFG MT and those 3 ply sidewalls were cut up big-time and still never went flat.

You could say some mid tier tires compete or are better then big brands. But I would say low tier like these ones have no shot.

The km2 is really good tire. Would go against your budget mindedness but you woukdnt be disappointed.I had good success with goodyear mtr and cooper stt. But those are name brands and darn good tires. Some decent, from reviews by customers, lower priced tires are the Hercules mt and wildcountry mt. Decent for the price. Buddy of mine has the wildcountry and I will say they aren't shabby. Only tried them in mud and wooded areas though.

I by no means was attacking you for being cheap. If you can save money why not right? We all do it. I just don't like being cheap with tires. But of course aid customers to make a good choice if they don't want to spend a lot. I just felt like in your situation, a dedicated wheeling tire, why not get a better tire? Good tires offroad is one of the best mods you can make to a rig. Get some that are going to keep you going forward without worrying about getting a flat over every obstacle.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 PM

6 plys of paper thin wont get you very far.... If you could see and feel one in person, I bet it would help out your decision a lot.
My thoughts exactly. I've seen similar tires on Craigslist and want to say I saw a post or review that basically said the same thing. Thin sidewall and low road mileage, which would surely equate to sidewall punctures and chunking lugs from the softer rubber.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 PM

You could say some mid tier tires compete or are better then big brands. But I would say low tier like these ones have no shot.

The km2 is really good tire. Would go against your budget mindedness but you woukdnt be disappointed.I had good success with goodyear mtr and cooper stt. But those are name brands and darn good tires. Some decent, from reviews by customers, lower priced tires are the Hercules mt and wildcountry mt. Decent for the price. Buddy of mine has the wildcountry and I will say they aren't shabby. Only tried them in mud and wooded areas though.

I by no means was attacking you for being cheap. If you can save money why not right? We all do it. I just don't like being cheap with tires. But of course aid customers to make a good choice if they don't want to spend a lot. I just felt like in your situation, a dedicated wheeling tire, why not get a better tire? Good tires offroad is one of the best mods you can make to a rig. Get some that are going to keep you going forward without worrying about getting a flat over every obstacle.
To me cheap is definitely NOT budget minded haha. I will spend the money if it pays in the long run but wanted to see if someone ran one of these and loved em off-road but only got 30 or 40 k out of em on road. In that case it might be worth putting that several hundo elsewhere since road use would be minimal. I've read several ppl say the MTR sidewall is a little thin and cuts somewhat easily and others who'd never buy anything else. I do like the stt pro's. Is it an actual 3 ply like the km2's or do you know? They, and the bfg's I believe, are sold at discount tire so road hazzard is available. That's a big factor.