Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using Rocky Road high steer kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Anybody using Rocky Road high steer kit?

Looking to change the overall steering to something better from a geometry perspective. The Jeep is not for rock crawling at all - mostly trails and roads.

Currently have 4.5" lift, RE HD tie rod, RE HD track bar, bracket and brace, JKS disconnects, JCR steering box plate, and drop pitman. Also installed LCA drops and IRO adjustable LCAs and UCAs. Jeep drives fine but steering could be better overall.

I've looked at several options and the Rocky Road solution seems the easiest to deal with (no welding, no knuckle to change) while providing pretty much all the functionality. Clayton is four times the price. TeraFlex seem to require a lot of extra parts and some significant modifications (welding) to the swaybar links, same with Currie, etc.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have the RR OTK steering on my XJ and have ran it for 5 years now. Back when I first started out I was into the moderate wheeling just as you stated. I was running 33's on 15X8 wheels and then 34 LTB's and now I am at 35's on 15X10 and have stepped up to more rock crawling than trail riding.

With the 35's, I can tell that the TRE's are starting to show the stress and are not going to cut it. So I plan to keep the knuckles and go with heims and bigger tubing. It's not a daily driver and hasn't been since day one but, I want the steering to hold up so this is the route that I am going to take.

With moderate wheeling you should be fine. If you plan to one day step it up, then I would look into soemthing that has a beefier TRE!

If I had to do it all over again, I would do a WJ knuckle swap and either 1 ton TRE's or heims!