Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any headlight experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Any headlight experts here?

My rig is a 98 with just over 100k on the clock, so she is relatively young in XJ world. I was tired of the weak stock headlights, so I went with these from Olympus Offroad:

http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.c...air_p_161.html

They are a great cheap LED solution. The light output is absolutely amazing given the price paid. Light output is on par with, if not better than, my father's 2014 Cadillac's LED headlights.

I installed the LED units in some Autopal Euro Style H4 housings(another quality product at an affordable price).

Here is the problem: The LED headlights are stuck in high beam. When I have my headlights on and in low beam position, the high beam dash light is dimly lit, and the high beams are clearly on. When I push the headlight stick forward, the high beam dash light illuminates fully and there is no change to the headlights as the high beams are already on. I know the low beams work on the units because the only time I can get them into low beam mode is when I shut off the Jeep and the delayed headlights are on. Again, the only time I can get the headlights to be in low beam are when the delayed headlights are on after I have turned the engine off.

Anyone have any ideas about the issue? I can't drive my XJ at night right now because these LEDs are sooo bright and with the high beams stuck on I am a hazard to other drivers. I am going to investigate the stock wiring harness with a multimeter this weekend, but I am far from an expert and am looking for any suggestions.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Please read this: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/headlights-203245/

Then know that I don't approve of those bulbs. The optics of a halogen housing were designed to reflect light from a halogen filament--not from a pair of diodes pretending to be a filament; no matter how hard they "pretend," the light source is not the same.

You'd be much better using a set of quality Osram, Phillips, Narva, or Flösser H4's. Despite the fact that Osram owns Sylvania and that Sylvania uses identical names such as "Silverstar," Sylvania's products are inferior to Osram, and some of their stuff is borderline junk compared to other options.

Last edited by mschi772; 01-16-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999

You may have fried your wiring... Did you install a new putco harness? You shouldn't go anything over 55/60 watt with the original harness
Old 01-16-2015, 09:00 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by mschi772

Then know that I don't approve of those bulbs. The optics of a halogen housing were designed to reflect light from a halogen filament--not from a pair of diodes pretending to be a filament; no matter how hard they "pretend," the light source is not the same.

You'd be much better using a set of quality Osram, Phillips, Narva, or Flösser H4's. Despite the fact that Osram owns Sylvania and that Sylvania uses identical names such as "Silverstar," Sylvania's products are inferior to Osram, and some of their stuff is borderline junk compared to other options.
Excellent thread he ^^^ posted & advice as well
Old 01-16-2015, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Any chance you have factory fog lights? I know they caused some problems with HID conversions. (Lights not switching back to dim from bright) Also the factory headlight delay module caused the same problem.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by mschi772

I understand your concerns and safety to other vehicles is paramount to me. If the LEDs are a hazard to other drivers then I will not run them. Which is why I am not driving the Jeep right now. From what I have been able to see of the low beam headlights, the beam pattern is tight and low with a clean cut off. I can post pictures once I get the lights functioning properly. Also the headlights have to pass state inspection, which will determine if they are unsafe by a trained professional using calibration tools. I appreciate the info
Old 01-17-2015, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
Any chance you have factory fog lights? I know they caused some problems with HID conversions. (Lights not switching back to dim from bright) Also the factory headlight delay module caused the same problem.
I do have factory fogs (non-functioning) as well as headlight delay. How did you go about solving the issue?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hopkins
I do have factory fogs (non-functioning) as well as headlight delay. How did you go about solving the issue?
Try pulling the fog light relay under hood I think and up under the dash by the steering wheel there is a silver delay module just unplug it. Like I said those are tricks for hids but sense they both use ballast it's worth a shot. Maybe Wiggles can chime in if he sees this.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:26 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre

Is the factory headlight bulb a dual element bulb for low beam and high beam ? I know most after market H.I.D bulbs are a single element and want have the ability to switch between low and high beam and could be causing feed back through the high beam circuit causing what your describing when you have the low beams on or vice versa. H.I.D. conversions that I ever read about and even put on my Wj dont switch between low and high beam. My jeep has 4 head light bulbs the 2 on the outside are for low beam and I have H.I.Ds in those but the high beams are on a separate circuit and all 4 will light when applied but I haven't installed H.I.D.s in those yet just the low beams. So if you have H.I.Ds with a ballast sharing the same low and high beam headlight connection your most likely getting feed back causing your highbeam indictor to glow and you want have a low or high beam controls cause there dis abled by a single element bulb. Hope this helps you out let us know... thanks

Last edited by radicalvette; 01-17-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by radicalvette
Is the factory headlight bulb a dual element bulb for low beam and high beam ? I know most after market H.I.D bulbs are a single element and want have the ability to switch between low and high beam and could be causing feed back through the high beam circuit causing what your describing when you have the low beams on or vice versa. H.I.D. conversions that I ever read about and even put on my Wj dont switch between low and high beam. My jeep has 4 head light bulbs the 2 on the outside are for low beam and I have H.I.Ds in those but the high beams are on a separate circuit and all 4 will light when applied but I haven't installed H.I.D.s in those yet just the low beams. So if you have H.I.Ds with a ballast sharing the same low and high beam headlight connection your most likely getting feed back causing your highbeam indictor to glow and you want have a low or high beam controls cause there dis abled by a single element bulb. Hope this helps you out let us know... thanks
I have a HID setup that works for both high and beams. i did the h4 housing a got a kit from DDM tuning. it comes with a harness that has the needed relay for it work correctly.

To the OP pretty sure the issue is caused by the delay module. i know it causes issues with my HID kit sometimes which is fixed when i just flick the beams.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:27 AM
CF Veteran

Radicalvette He's actually talking about a LED kit. You should not run a hid without a projector. XJs work fine with a proper bi xeon projector. The high beam trigger wire connects to a solenoid that's attached to a cutoff shield. That's what changes the hi and low output.

Hopkins I know for sure that kit work fine. I talked with a guy that is running it. There is a thread or some post on here somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
Radicalvette He's actually talking about a LED kit. You should not run a hid without a projector. XJs work fine with a proper bi xeon projector. The high beam trigger wire connects to a solenoid that's attached to a cutoff shield. That's what changes the hi and low output.

Hopkins I know for sure that kit work fine. I talked with a guy that is running it. There is a thread or some post on here somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.
projectors are not always needed with a HID setup there were late 90's and early 2000's vehicles that had HID's stock with no projector. its a matter of aiming the headlight correctly.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:46 AM
CF Veteran

What were the lumins of those late 90s HIDs
Old 01-17-2015, 03:25 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre

When you say you should not run a H.I.D kit without a projector can you explain what a projector is ?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by radicalvette
When you say you should not run a H.I.D kit without a projector can you explain what a projector is ?
I'm not saying you shouldn't because it's going to mess up your jeep or anything just that with the amount of lumens HIDs produce you need a projector to focus that light so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic.
You said you have a WJ?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...topics/1439645

Quick Reply: Any headlight experts here?