Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Death Wobble Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another Death Wobble Thread

I lifted my XJ with an RE 3.5" kit over a year and a half ago, and have never had any death wobble issues before. Yes, I experienced a little wobble in the steering wheel after hitting potholes and bumps, but never anything that lasted more than a second or so. A couple days ago, I was going around 40-45 mph and hit a bump, and the thing started wobbling like crazy. It was so bad that I literally had to pull over and bring the XJ to an almost complete stop in order to regain control. Yesterday, the exact same thing happened on the same road, but going in a different direction and in a different area. So what is causing this suddenly to happen now, a year and a half later?

The only things I've done to the suspension at all recently are put in a different rear axle (which shouldn't cause any death wobble obviously), and replaced one of my front discos. I've been using the cheap-o clevis pin style, and found about a month ago that the passenger side was completely missing for some reason. I highly doubt I broke it, but it also seems weird that someone would randomly pull a disco out in a parking lot, but that's a completely different mystery and one that will probably remain unsolved. I replaced both of the pins with the exact same ones I was using before, only that the passenger side is now missing all of the washers and the bushing is pushed out quite a bit (I left it like this on purpose so it can't move too much). So could this be the cause? It seems likely, but I would expect that having no disco on one side would be just as bad, if not worse. I was likely driving with one missing for a couple months (not exactly something I check the presence of on a daily basis) and never had any issues, so it seems a little surprising to me that the death wobble would start now. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

jack it up and check out your ball joints. Mine has the exact same issue, started checking things and found My lower alloy usa ball joints had about 1/2" of up and down play.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

The only problem with jacking it up is the jack part. I'll be living in a hotel for the next three months for work, and only have my tools, not a jack/stands. I'll see if I can make it out to a friend's place that has one, but I shouldn't have to take the weight off the axle to check play in everything, right?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Death wobble is caused by a few things. First, rotate your tires. One could be out of balance and causing it. Next check your ball joints and tie rods. Then move onto your control arms, uppers and lowers. Or it could be alignment. Start with cheap things first then go to other things. DW is never caused by bad sway bars or a steering stabilizer
Old 07-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Since working in a hotel parking lot isn't exactly ideal and I have a lifetime alignment from Firestone, I might just take it there and have them screw around with everything. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to let me know if something needs to be replaced.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Banned

Also, I forgot to mention track bar as well
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Same damn thing happened in the same damn spot yesterday on my way home from work. I cross around 8 or so railroads every day, and one of the tracks must just provide the exact condition to create death wobble. Since I know it's just one spot that's causing this, do you think it's anything to worry about if nothing is loose on the XJ?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Banned

Yes. Death wobble isn't Any fun. Address the issue before things get worse. When DW occurs it shakes your whole jeep. If you Dont take care of the issue, it could make things worse down the line