Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

analyzing winches and their parts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default analyzing winches and their parts.

Hello all,

I have been shopping for a winch for a long while and in my search for a winch that is suitable for function/ cost, i have found my self looking into the build of these winches. Im not here to say Warn because a red W is just better or what ever brand because.... I would like real input to the working parts of these recovery tools.

I am looking for your knowledge on these ( a,b,c,d...) winches that have this or that kind of solenoid which has these pros/ cons, or these gears/clutch type that are good/bad and if you can differentiate for us the brands that have these differences. If there is something similar of comprehensive knowledge i am in search of this or your help.

Thank you
Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee

You want to make an informed decision based on design and components used? You're crazy.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Right why would anyone do that
Old 03-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

I'm in the same boat as you right now, I've been looking at winches for a while and just pulled the trigger on a front winch bumper. Now my purchase of a winch will be a little sooner I want to make an informed purchase. Hope someone chimes in.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Just get one that you like man. I did. I've only needed it a few times but it's nice to have just in case. They will all get the job done. When you look at head to heads online or youtube none of the winches in the competition get docked for the components in them. They are rated on how they perform.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Going to throw this out there and hope I don't get slaughtered. I bought my son a HF Badlands 12K winch 3 years ago for his birthday. He put it on this 9 inch lifted 1997 Z71 with 39 inch Nittos. He actually uses this winch nearly everyday in his tree removal service, has pulled a john deer tractor out of a creek, and rescued numerous vehicles from mud and snow. NO....I do not work for HF or get credit for saying these things but the Badlands winch is Badass. You can catch it on sale for $289 sometimes. I plan on getting a 9K BadLands for my xj just based on what I have seen my son's winch do. Just sayin' Happy Jeepin'
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by texastaz38
Going to throw this out there and hope I don't get slaughtered. I bought my son a HF Badlands 12K winch 3 years ago for his birthday. He put it on this 9 inch lifted 1997 Z71 with 39 inch Nittos. He actually uses this winch nearly everyday in his tree removal service, has pulled a john deer tractor out of a creek, and rescued numerous vehicles from mud and snow. NO....I do not work for HF or get credit for saying these things but the Badlands winch is Badass. You can catch it on sale for $289 sometimes. I plan on getting a 9K BadLands for my xj just based on what I have seen my son's winch do. Just sayin' Happy Jeepin'
exactly. Even cheaper winches are great values.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

im not asking if cheap winches work because they do and more power to anyone who chooses whatever winch they want, but there are brands that offer certain types of solenoids or contactors and various clutch types that will aid to reliability. these are the questions and lack of information almost all winch threads do not address. Im asking for any input that experienced folks have be it good/ bad winch rope down to this design, build, parts to this .... winch has or hasnt worked well for me in the past, because... (if we are so lucky to gain your input)

again thanks everyone