Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alxe Seals and Bearing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Alxe Seals and Bearing ?

I have a 00 XJ with a 3" lift and 31's. My front axle is leaking diff fluid on the passenger side. I was told the seal is bad. I have close to 90k on it. I figure replace the seals and while it's torn apart, replace the bearings on both sides. I guess ball joints and poss u joints as well? It's mama's DD, so I want it driving perfect.

With all that being said, any idea how long this should take an experienced mechanic? At-least for the seals and bearings? I plan on taking it to get it done and want to make sure I'm quoted the correct amount of time. Anyone know a break down of times? Are special tools needed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by paragrunt; 09-07-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

To get to the front axle seals, you need to pull the carrier out to get to them as they are in the tubes on either side of the carrier. If you don't have the tools or knowledge to do this it would be best to have someone who knows how to do it handle it.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I'm in. the middle of the exact same job on my 97 so it's close to the same setup. Probably a d30 front end, you have two seals on that passenger side, one in the pumpkin to keep oil in and one behind the wheel bearing to keep water and dust out. As far as special tools, you need a lot of socket extensions to run down the axle and pop those seals out. I'm letting my mechanic do mine, roughly 4.5 hours is I was quoted.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 PM

I was quoted 5.5 hours. I had a deal worked out but the guy complained when I stated that I wanted the bearings changed out as well since it was all gonna be apart and I'm at almost 90k miles. I was told that he would need a 20 ton press to do the inner bearings and it was too much of a PITA. He just wanted to change the seals and quoted 5.5 hours.

I want it done right as were going to be driving cross country soon and pulling my car on a dolly.

Does that sound right?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

I do bearings on the bench, don't need any press. Axle seals can be tricky but it's not difficult once the diff is out. If he was changing all the bearings, the time is close but since he wants to do half the job, should get half the pay since it will haunt him when the axle still leaks once he has it done.

Cliff notes: Find someone that can do the job properly and not charge you up the yang for it.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks jbsjunk. That's what I thought. I was just talking to me dad about that and he laughed and said that a vice and some time was all that was needed, not a press. I know he used to wrench for extra money when my mom wasn't bleeding him dry for child support. There's nothing he couldn't fix. Even he suggested that I find someone else as he wouldn't want that guy working on his cars...... My dad would do it but he's a wee bit too old and pays others to do it now.....
Old 09-21-2012, 01:03 AM

I spent the day with my uncle who is a master mechanic. I have new wheel bearings, u joints, axle seals, and Alloy U.S.A. outer seals. I think that is it. I dumped one quart of Royal Purple 75-90 in the pig and then the remainder was RP 75-140. It's what I had left. I should hopefully be just fine.

I'm glad I have great family.