Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Alternator upgrade advice

Been a while since I've been back on here. Just bought a 92 XJ. Bone stock but extremely well taken care off. My build list includes several electronics so wanting to upgrade the alternator to keep up with winch, lights, sound system, etc. Any advice is appreciated. Oh and as with anything trying to keep it cheap. Thanks
Old 05-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I had a bad alternator, bad beaing
I just replaced with a new unit from parts store
Old 05-18-2015, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

On the cheap,I would upgrade to a high output rebuild at your local parts store or e-bay.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I got a 93 XJ. The 98 ZJ with the V8 has a 130ish amp alternator that fits right in to the original spot for yours. Just need to grind the bracket down for a little more clearance. I got a video on YouTube. It's also a high alternator mount video but you can see it there. My channel is welivejeep
Old 05-18-2015, 08:31 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Remember to upgrade all your wiring as well. I have a Durango 160a alt, (yes, you need to grind the bracket to make it fit) and 2AWG copper wiring on "the big 3". If you don't know what the "big 3" is, do a search here. 5-90 is a member here, and makes good kits and has a great site with good reading to help you understand all that needs to happen, but haven't seen him round these parts in a while...a link to his site:

http://www.kelleyswip.com/
Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by madmanmarty
On the cheap,I would upgrade to a high output rebuild at your local parts store or e-bay.
I wouldn't trust the cheap "high output" alternators on ebay. There are several stories and videos floating around of people testing them and discovering that they're no higher output than stock.

Originally Posted by XtremeJeep
My build list includes several electronics so wanting to upgrade the alternator to keep up with winch, lights, sound system, etc.
Do you have an estimate of how much power you need?

A real 200 amp alternator (not the ebay garbage) will run you around $400. That will get you a Powermaster or Mean Green. If you run something that size, you will also need to upgrade your cables. You can make the cables yourself, or you can buy a custom set from Kelley's Works in Progress (member 5-90 on the forums) for another $200. (Or, if you're patient, you might pick up a lightly used Mean Green for $300 and a set of 5-90's cables that someone bought and never installed for $80 like I did. Still not cheap.)

The 130 amp ZJ alternator is a good compromise, and you can find that at the junk yard. I know a lot of people have run that alternator without upgrading the wiring, but given the nature of XJ wiring, I'm not sure I would do that. The question is whether that's enough of an upgrade to run everything you want to run.

You can also take your stock alternator to an alternator shop and have it upwound to a higher output. You'd have to talk with the shop to find out what kind of output they can get and how much they would charge, but people who have done it on here in the past have reported pretty good results for less than $100.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:19 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by roninofako
Remember to upgrade all your wiring as well. I have a Durango 160a alt, (yes, you need to grind the bracket to make it fit) and 2AWG copper wiring on "the big 3". If you don't know what the "big 3" is, do a search here. 5-90 is a member here, and makes good kits and has a great site with good reading to help you understand all that needs to happen, but haven't seen him round these parts in a while...a link to his site:

This first and foremost^^.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:51 PM

I'll do some more reading on the links that were posted. When y'all say cables your referring to the battery cables right? Do I also upgrade the small wires on the alternator?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 PM

I'll do some more reading on the links that were posted. When y'all say cables your referring to the battery cables right? Do I also upgrade the small wires on the alternator?
Yes.

www.kelleyswip.com
Old 05-19-2015, 11:11 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by cruiser54
...and the starter...and the alt...and the grounds....

Definitely read what's on his page. Don't just upgrade the alt and not do the wires, unless you like the sight of burning jeep...
Alternator upgrade advice-burning-jeep.jpg
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 PM

...and the starter...and the alt...and the grounds....

Definitely read what's on his page. Don't just upgrade the alt and not do the wires, unless you like the sight of burning jeep...
Attachment 271547
Harsh, dude!!

But very accurate and to the point.

Wire upgrades first!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM

Im gonna look into the upwinding rebuild because that seems to me like a good idea for cheaper. I will redo all my cables regardless anyway just because I've had several oem electrical issues in the past with jeeps. I looked at 5-90s website and was a lot of good material but other than replacing cables and grounds I didn't see anything on the smaller wiring. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Meant to add also the list I have in mind on parts is:

1- 12" sub, 3-400 watt amp (nothing crazy)
4- led cubes
1-20" light bar and maybe a 50"
1-CB radio
1-winch

Also trying to find some kind of power panel to hook everything into instead of a bunch of wires going to the battery. Want it to be clean when I'm finished.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Also trying to find some kind of power panel to hook everything into instead of a bunch of wires going to the battery. Want it to be clean when I'm finished.
Some people have taken a second power distribution center out of the junk yard and wired it up as a second box. There are DIYs floating around. I think Bleepin Jeep did a video on YouTube also.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

This is the route to go with the Alt and most of all the wiring upgrade (a must do). I have a all of the electric demands you do plus a few more and very easy upgrade.

Quick Reply: Alternator upgrade advice