Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright...confused about which lift to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Alright...confused about which lift to buy

I was leaning towards an Old Man Emu 2" but realized that for my needs, I'll probably be happier with slightly higher 3-3.5". So now I'm looking at Rubicon Express Super Ride. It seems to get good reviews in the thread I started last week but the salesman at the shop was steering me towards Pro Comp's 3" lift. He says it's made in the same factory as the RE lift, same quality, and an actual 3" of lift compared to the RE being somewhat higher at around 3.5-4". I don't know what to think. My research on the interwebz and various forums seems to indicate that RE is high quality stuff. I've not heard anything about Pro-Comp other than it seems to be more budget-grade gear. I'm of the mind of "buy once, cry once" and don't mind spending a little more for quality. I'm a bit suspicious that these guys are just trying to maximize their profit by putting me in the lift that gives them the best mark-up.

RE sells a number of different lift options for XJs including kits that include complete rear leafs, coils, shocks, etc. The Pro-Comp stuff only offers add-a leafs and looks pretty basic. I'm in no way even considering using add-a-leafs. I want to replace all of the springs. It seems dumb to even consider add-a-leafs unless you're on a budget.

Well, final consideration is that I'm now forced to use 4Wheel Parts as my shop locally. The Les Schwab can no longer get high quality lifts. I've not been impressed with 4Wheel Parts customer service at my local shop and am a little skeptical about their motives in trying to steer me towards Pro-Comp instead of Rubicon Express. The price difference is not enough to justify going with inferior quality stuff...if that's indeed the case.

So, any thoughts? Wisdom? Going to be buying this in a month or so. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers623
Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally am well satisfied with my Zone with full packs . my $0.02
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I think Pro Comp is a 4wp brand. I bought the RE super flex, and I am very happy with it. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably go super ride. I don't use the sway bar discos, so the sr would have probably been fine. The lift was more than advertised. My 2001 needed an sye and a driveshaft, but I am really liking the rig now. I did the work myself, not too hard. I am running 31's, and the stock engine/ tranny does okay. Locker in the front helps. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I used the Rustys Off Road 3" full spring pack and very happy with the kit after a year and only a 1/4" of sag in the rear. The spring installs at 3 1/2" as advertised for the rear, the front was a HD model because of my bumper and winch combo zero sag. I think part of the sag was a very heavy tongue load one time, a little over a ton not good.

In fact I used this kit for an increased lift of another 1 1/2" with a lot of other changes. For the price IMHO a best buy I run quite a few of his products and have had zero issues with any of them.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Keep in mind the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift coil springs have a considerably higher spring rate than their other sizes and other manufacturers.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Pro comp and RE both belong to 4wp.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

RE FTW!!

And you can install a 3.5" lift yourself, no reason to have a shop do the work.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Rubicon and Pro Comp are both Trans American Auto Parts, the same company that owns 4WP and 4 Wheel Drive Hardware. Rubicon Express would be my choice seeing as Pro Comp section is now starting to focus on just smaller lifts and parts. Both are great but RE is top.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I talked with both a 4Wheel parts sales director and customer relations rep from Rubicon Express. Here's their official scoop. Their parent company, Transamerica owns both Pro-Comp and Rubicon Express. And yes, some of their products are made in the same factory. However, they are completely separate product lines made to different specs and by different processes. Pro-Comp is more of a dedicated "House Brand" for the 4Wheel Parts Franchise and their focus is more torwards the economy-minded customer. It's still good stuff but not top shelf. The RE product line is separate and manufactured to different specs and in some different locations with more of a focus purely on Jeep products as well as being more of a Top Shelf product line.

All this seems to square with many of the posters on this forum's experience. I'm going to meet both of these folks this Saturday at the Tacoma Truck and Jeep fair. Can't wait. If they're as helpful and customer service oriented as their initial replies to my calls and emails....I'm going to be a few $1000 poorer by the end of the weekend!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM

A few words from my experience with them:
RE is not top shelf. There are vendors here on the forum who better products at a similar price. I gradually replaced most of their components over time. Check my build thread.
4WD is not at all a high quality install shop. I had my lift put in Lynwood and ended very unhappy. Check my thread.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Or in general, check build threads from people in your vicinity. There is a lot of information there...
Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by Cheers623
Thanks for the replies. I talked with both a 4Wheel parts sales director and customer relations rep from Rubicon Express. Here's their official scoop. Their parent company, Transamerica owns both Pro-Comp and Rubicon Express. And yes, some of their products are made in the same factory. However, they are completely separate product lines made to different specs and by different processes. Pro-Comp is more of a dedicated "House Brand" for the 4Wheel Parts Franchise and their focus is more torwards the economy-minded customer. It's still good stuff but not top shelf. The RE product line is separate and manufactured to different specs and in some different locations with more of a focus purely on Jeep products as well as being more of a Top Shelf product line.

All this seems to square with many of the posters on this forum's experience. I'm going to meet both of these folks this Saturday at the Tacoma Truck and Jeep fair. Can't wait. If they're as helpful and customer service oriented as their initial replies to my calls and emails....I'm going to be a few $1000 poorer by the end of the weekend!
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM

Yarom, thanks for the reply. In fact, my wife's OME kit was installed in the same store and we've had nothing but trouble with one manager in particular. I checked out your build thread and it looks great. However, I've been in contact with 4Wheel Parts corporate guys and they're actively working to fix both my problems and "other" issues. I'm still leaning towards RE and it looks like other than poor install, etc your stuff gave good service? I'm not going to beat on it like you do (SAR, etc). Mostly daily hi way pounding.

By the way...is that your Cirrus at KPAE? I am a member of Northway Aviation's club. Mostly C172 and PA28.

Thanks,
Cheers