All Lift & Tire questions go here!!! - Page 1746 - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
All Lift & Tire questions go here!!! >

All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!

Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:48 PM
  #26176  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Any sales on lifts going on?

Hi every one, I can use a little guidance here. I am working on a 2000 2dr xj that is just a hobby for me, hopefully I may even drive it on the road. I am wanting to put in a lift 3 to 4 inches. have been hitting bolts with pb blaster and have most of the bolts loose, in doing so one shackle broke so I need to replace them and going for a 3/4" lift with them.
Is the add a leaf kits worth getting? It's just that I'm not sold on the idea.
Also have spent time searching for the best place to buy a kit from, hoping some one here knows of a sale that I've missed.
kengofff is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 02:59 AM
  #26177  
Senior Member
 
gunmetal_nightrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 509
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default

3in lifts work great with xjs. Add a leaf isnt worth it, buy new springs. Rockridge4wd set me up nicely with my lift. Free shipping on lots of parts and 10% off at the time i think...either way it was nice just to have free shipping.
gunmetal_nightrider is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 05:13 AM
  #26178  
Beach Bum
 
SteveMongr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Posts: 6,110
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 7ate9 View Post
Thanks for being very clear now I understand.
Kinda important to be spot on with this one..
Can use that manual to get the torque values for u-bolts and shackle bolts, also important.
SteveMongr is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 08:28 AM
  #26179  
CF Veteran
 
TFitzPat87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,414
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by kengofff View Post
Hi every one, I can use a little guidance here. I am working on a 2000 2dr xj that is just a hobby for me, hopefully I may even drive it on the road. I am wanting to put in a lift 3 to 4 inches. have been hitting bolts with pb blaster and have most of the bolts loose, in doing so one shackle broke so I need to replace them and going for a 3/4" lift with them.
Is the add a leaf kits worth getting? It's just that I'm not sold on the idea.
Also have spent time searching for the best place to buy a kit from, hoping some one here knows of a sale that I've missed.
Intended use of your XJ? 3 inch is nice, but if you're thinking about possibly 4", I would just go that route. There are solid deals all over the place, just take a look around.

If the shackle itself broke, look into a kit that includes new shackles. I don't run their kit, but I've heard good things about Iron Rock Offroad. They have a 4" lift kit that comes with new shackles. Also you can upgrade to full leaf packs which is definitely the way to go.
TFitzPat87 is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM
  #26180  
Seasoned Member
 
7ate9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los Angeles Ca.
Posts: 361
Model: Cherokee
Default

Hey guys quick question, 3" full zone lift 90xj 4.0 242 tc, Shackle bolts to Frame not the small eye. But the actual shackle to frame bolt, what is the torque spec???
Thanks
7ate9 is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 PM
  #26181  
CF Veteran
 
TFitzPat87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,414
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by 7ate9 View Post
Hey guys quick question, 3" full zone lift 90xj 4.0 242 tc, Shackle bolts to Frame not the small eye. But the actual shackle to frame bolt, what is the torque spec???
Thanks
97 FSM calls for... 115 ft. lbs. for the upper shackle bolt as well as the front leaf eye bolt, and 80 ft. lbs. for the lower shackle bolt. Remember to leave everything loose until it's back on all fours and bounce the suspension before torquing down.
TFitzPat87 is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 09:40 PM
  #26182  
CF Veteran
 
TwistedWrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,470
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default

Holy **** that is downright scary.


Last edited by TwistedWrench; 05-17-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Pic
TwistedWrench is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 10:10 PM
  #26183  
Seasoned Member
 
7ate9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los Angeles Ca.
Posts: 361
Model: Cherokee
Default

No it hasn't been fun at all tomorrow I'll be replacing all that garbage at least the rears done though.
Thanks for the help guys!
7ate9 is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 PM
  #26184  
CF Veteran
 
TwistedWrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,470
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default

Hmm. Profanity filter fail.

Weird.
TwistedWrench is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 PM
  #26185  
CF Veteran
 
odgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: some small town oregon
Posts: 15,581
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench View Post
Hmm. Profanity filter fail.

Weird.
No fail. If it can be said on tv it can be said here.
odgreen is offline  
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 AM
  #26186  
Seasoned Member
 
7ate9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los Angeles Ca.
Posts: 361
Model: Cherokee
Default

Can I get some ones opinion on the angle of these IRO, shackles you can see they are rubbing a bit on that shackle housing.
Attached Thumbnails All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!-image-4107500774.jpg   All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!-image-987009392.jpg   All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!-image-2764839253.jpg   All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!-image-3140972279.jpg  
7ate9 is offline  
Old 05-18-2016, 05:14 AM
  #26187  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87 View Post
Intended use of your XJ? 3 inch is nice, but if you're thinking about possibly 4", I would just go that route. There are solid deals all over the place, just take a look around.

If the shackle itself broke, look into a kit that includes new shackles. I don't run their kit, but I've heard good things about Iron Rock Offroad. They have a 4" lift kit that comes with new shackles. Also you can upgrade to full leaf packs which is definitely the way to go.


Have a TeraFlex 2" BB on the way. Looks like I need to save up for a better lift. I'm really liking re.
I mostly ridge run with the usual mud holes.
kengofff is offline  
Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 PM
  #26188  
Newbie
 
keisersxj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: toledo ohio
Posts: 12
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Newbie

Ok so im trying to find out how large of a lift I can do with out installing a sye im ok with t-case drop and brake lines and shocks possibly even adjustable track bar any info would be great thanks
keisersxj is offline  
Old 05-18-2016, 01:58 PM
  #26189  
CF Veteran
 
SatiricalHen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 5,217
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by 7ate9 View Post
Can I get some ones opinion on the angle of these IRO, shackles you can see they are rubbing a bit on that shackle housing.
those leaf springs are way too short, the shackle should be angled towards the rear. Also a sye and driveshaft is recommended.

All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!-image-2365281376.jpg

Here's mine, and they should probably still be a little more angled down
SatiricalHen is offline  
Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM
  #26190  
CF Veteran
 
TFitzPat87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,414
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by keisersxj View Post
Ok so im trying to find out how large of a lift I can do with out installing a sye im ok with t-case drop and brake lines and shocks possibly even adjustable track bar any info would be great thanks
Every XJ is different. Some people HAVE needed an SYE with 2" lift, some HAVEN'T needed one with 3.5" of lift. You wont know until you get it up in the air. That being said, don't let an SYE intimidate you! I know it's extra cost, but you'll be WAY happier in the long run. Do it right the first time around and all will be gravy!

I installed one myself in like 6 hours without ever tearing into a T-case before. Not very hard at all.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 05-18-2016 at 02:41 PM.
TFitzPat87 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All Lift & Tire questions go here!!!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: