Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket temp gauge pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default Aftermarket temp gauge pissing me off

Alright guys, ive got an aftermarket temp gauge in my jeep in my jeep to make up for the dummy lights, and i cant seem to keep the stupid thing working. It was put in when the jeep belonged to my dad and he didnt install it so i dont know all the aspects of it. all i know is it has a ground, hot wire run to the fuse box, and a wire run to a plug of some sort in the engine. all wires have good connection and all, and for some reason it seems to still only work sometimes. Sometimes the gauge works perfect staying at around 200. others it reads around 110? thats a good 90% of the time. The gauge moves when i turn the key over but not much. Did a coolant flush yesterday and thought i got it back working but to no aveil. (coolant flush wasnt to fix gauge lol) Anybody know about these? this thing is really pissing me off lol
Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

the wire going to the plug in the engine should be a temp. sensor. If it's the kind that goes into the T-stat housing or the coolant somewhere, the end of it could be corroded or just plain filthy. I'd start by pulling that and inspecting/cleaning the end of that since you've already checked your wires.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

that's not a bad idea, its in the back close to the firewall. should be simple as unbolting it? and what would be the best method for cleaning it?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you SURE they have a good connection? Inline crimp connectors blow *** btw... if its not soldered and shink wrap its junk... Coming from someone who's built many custom harnesses... sounds electrical to me just saying.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

It does sound more like a loose/bad wire to me also, assuming it's a coolant temp sensor. When the sensor goes, it doesn't often come back from the dead. Mine didn't die slowly, it just stopped. If it's aftermarket wiring and you can see all the connections without digging, it doesn't sound too protected - I'd suspect the wires. And I second the solder & shrink wrap vote - those crimp connectors are good for about 3 weeks of use in a Jeep before they fail if you ask me. I don't even like spade terminals on switches.

A sensor in the back by the firewall doesn't sound like a coolant temp sensor though, it sounds more like an intake temp sensor? What is the sensor mounted to - i.e. what is it "sensing"? (PICS WOULD HELP)

I'm pretty sure throttle body cleaner is safe for sensors like the IAT and CTS. straight carb cleaners can sometimes be too harsh for sensors/electronics. I like to read the label completely to be sure, it will usually mention what it's safe to use on or something like that.