Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After sye and rebuild

Old 11-11-2018, 12:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default After sye and rebuild

After I did my sye and hd upgrade i cannot get full time 4 wd. I think the end of the linkage for hits something. Maybe a mounting spot for something above. I got the bolt loose but it is still stuck. Sprayed some pb blaster on it. Will see if I can get it to move. Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

need lots more information to help...............

1) what year cherokee

2) what model t-case

3) what other mods have been done

4) what bolt ?

Last edited by TRCM; 11-12-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
need lots more infomration to help...............

1) what year cherokee

2) what model t-case

3) what other mods have been done

4) what bolt ?
sorry. It is a 99 classic. Np 231, zone 3 inch lift, had a 1 inch drop on TC. The bolt on the shift rod linkage.
I will see if I can take the linkage out and free it up. The angles are off on a few pieces. Oh I did install a new trans mount.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tntxj
sorry. It is a 99 classic. Np 231, zone 3 inch lift, had a 1 inch drop on TC. The bolt on the shift rod linkage.
I will see if I can take the linkage out and free it up. The angles are off on a few pieces. Oh I did install a new trans mount.
Thanks for your reply.

Ok, technically there is no full time 4wd position on a 231....it has 2wd, 4hi, n, 4lo....no full time position, altho 4hi & 4 lo are close enough that you don't want to use them on a high traction surface.

Now, on a 242, there IS a full time 4wd position.

The lift shouldn't have messed with the linkage, unless you pulled the t-case to do the sye.

Can you put the t-case in all gears with the stock linkage disconnected and by moving the lever on the t-case ?

On mine, I got rid of the stock linkage and went with the boostwerks one.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 AM

Ok, technically there is no full time 4wd position on a 231....it has 2wd, 4hi, n, 4lo....no full time position, altho 4hi & 4 lo are close enough that you don't want to use them on a high traction surface.

Now, on a 242, there IS a full time 4wd position.

The lift shouldn't have messed with the linkage, unless you pulled the t-case to do the sye.

Can you put the t-case in all gears with the stock linkage disconnected and by moving the lever on the t-case ?

On mine, I got rid of the stock linkage and went with the boostwerks one.
the lift was already done. I did drop the t case for the rebuild. Daughter just closed on her house so no time to mess with it yesterday. Today I am going to disconnect the linkage and see what I get.
I have been looking at shift upgrades. Thanks for the input. I thought I tried shifting it before I put it back in and it shifted fine. It is a lot more quite now. Does not have that annoying noise.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

if you have a sye now you need to get rid of the transfer case drop if you did you will now have to adjust the linkage
Old 11-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
if you have a sye now you need to get rid of the transfer case drop if you did you will now have to adjust the linkage
the drop is gone. Just finished farting around with it. The whole thing is off kilter by about 1\2 inch. Meaning the rod that goes from the side of the tranny to the tranny bump is not square and even. But it works up to 4 lo. Will go into 4lo as long as I pull up on the lever. So I guess I need to look up options for the new linkage. Thanks everyone for the input. It has been a help.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1999

The linkage is notoriously a weak link, like you're already thinking, it'd be best to replace it with something more substantial.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 PM

Default Dang nabbit.

Ok. I loaded the jeep to haul more stuff to daughters house. Backing out of the garage i hear what sounds like gears rubbing or trying to engage. Not a heavy grinding but really more like rubbing teeth together. If it is not freezing when I get up i am going to disconnect the linkage and see if it still has the sound. I seriously hope I do not have to drop that darn thing. Any ideas drop a line. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:54 AM

Default Azzy's design works

Just ordered a new t case linkage from them. No cables and 1\2 the price.
Anybody try one of these? Hope it is ok.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tntxj
Just ordered a new t case linkage from them. No cables and 1\2 the price.
Anybody try one of these? Hope it is ok.

No, but I know the boostwerks setup works, and it was only 43 bucks.......good luck with it.

Get a bud to help ya adjust it...much much easier than crawling under & back up and under & so on.....I had mine up 4 jackstands so I could actually start it and put it in gear to see if I was deep enough in the engagement to prevent it from slipping out of gear from the torque.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 AM

Default I wish.

No, but I know the boostwerks setup works, and it was only 43 bucks.......good luck with it.

Get a bud to help ya adjust it...much much easier than crawling under & back up and under & so on.....I had mine up 4 jackstands so I could actually start it and put it in gear to see if I was deep enough in the engagement to prevent it from slipping out of gear from the torque.
no help here. With the hours i work and living 25 miles from anywhere i pretty much do everything myself. Sometimes the wife helps and when the son is off he will help.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee

I am running the boostwerks also
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Figured it out.

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
I am running the boostwerks also
I will have to look up boostwerks. But I figured out my noise. The dang e brake cable rubbing on the new joint. I bent it out of the way earlier, but I guess it was not enough. I am not the world's greatest mechanic. But I watched enough videos and read enough articles that this should have been a cake walk. My daughter always called me the fixer. She always told her friends i could fix anything. I remember when we bought her brother his Honda 80 she got the Yamaha 50. We was running laps in the field and she started leaning into the turn then going full throttle. Then she hit this pile of left over concrete from the basement being poured. I was on the 80 when she wrecked i just kind of walked off the bike and went running. I get to her she is crying looking at her shirt. With tears in her little eyes she asked, think you can fix my shirt. So herself and the bike was ok. Yes she had a helmet on. They both had very good helmets. Gotta love the little ones.