Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjustable track bar question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default adjustable track bar question

I recently took my 2001 XJ on the Mojave Road for a two day wheelin trip and discovered that my front axle wasn't centered. The left coil spring was in almost constant contact with the drop track bar bracket and hit pretty hard on any type of pitch in the road. No problem, I thought, I have an adjustable track bar...

So, today, I break out the tools and begin to adjust the axle position...my method was simple...disconnect track bar at the axle, turn steering wheel to shift axle position until it was centered, and then adjust track bar to match the new axle position. During the procedure, I realized that I couldn't shorten the track bar enough to fully center the axle, its still about a 1/4" towards the passenger side too much. So, I made it as short as possible and hoped for the best...now for a test drive...

Good news...the coil spring doesn't hit the frame or drop track bar bracket! Bad news...it will not achieve full lock out while turning left. I can turn like gang busters to the right, but need about 10 acres to make a u-turn to the left.

I did not have this issue before and the only thing I did was adjust the track bar using the procedure I mentioned above. Any ideas on what happened or how to fix? I assume I need to disconnect the pitman arm and reposition it to center...but I am not 100% sure. Any advice and counsel would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM

anybody?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree man, when I installed my drop pitman arm I didn't have the box centered and couldn't turn enough in the opposite direction. Otherwise get under there and check. Anything else hitting at lock?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

You need to adjust the sleeve on the steering linkage, closest to the pitman arm. I have the same issue, not sure yet wich way to turn it but I can turn left til it rubs the control arms but when I turn right it's still an inch away from rubbing.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

yeah good point, could just be the drag link. Should have asked but did you even ever change pitman arm?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the replies...

There are days when I feel pretty smart...and then there are days like today. I have been working on this Jeep so much lately (new steering linkage, tie rod ends, steering box, Adj LCAs and UCAs) that I have started to get a little cocky I guess. Anyway, its when I get this way that I have total brain fades and forget the simple things.

As it turns out, I made such a drastic adjustment to the track bar that the steering wheel had done an almost complete 360...making it appear to only be a little off from the correct adjustment...this changes your pitman arm's position when the wheel is centered and you think everything is ok...all I had to do was make some pretty big adjustments to the drag link and the world is once again back in balance.

Good news...coils don't hit anymore AND I can turn like normal!

Thanks again for the quick responses.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

^ lol, we'll just say this never happened...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i 6

Glad to hear about the fix. X2 on the it never happens! Lol
Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 AM

Year: 98

Ran into the same problem with my lift. Steering wheel looked centered but was really 360 out. Now I'm having the same problem centering the axle. From the best I can tell its sitting almost an inch to the passenger side. The alignment shop where I have a lifetime alignment swears its the caster in the control arms. I'm not dumb enough to believe that an rough country confirmed that only the track bar could throw it that far out. So it'll be back at the alignment shop again in the morning. I think they are just tired of seeing me there telling them to fix it lol. This is like the 4th trip. If I hadn't paid 160 bucks for a lifetime alignment I'd have find somewhere else by now. Here's to hoping they fix it finally.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

^lol. That's why I just do my own alignments on the Jeep. It takes too much time/energy to bring everyone up to speed and educated them on what you're actually doing with your suspension.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Year: 98

They got it right this morning I think. After I explained to the how a track bar works and that the caster was a part of the alignment. Even if it doesnt have a "flat adjustment" it still needs to be adjusted by them. They wanted me to do the caster myself. I was like wait a min you have the machine that tells you where the caster is. what do you want me to do make lil adjustments and keep bringing it here and having you check it GET REAL! The axle definitely looks more centered and I dont have to chase it left to right down the road. I mean I still have play in my steering and RC is sending me another pitman arm this week cuz mine has slack in it and they think it was out of spec, But to not have to chase it around with play in the steering IS SO MUCH BETTER lol.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

I feel ya, it doesn't take much to make an XJ wonder all over the road. Sounds like typical mechanics. You would think they would enjoy something different, something more "cool", but instead they run from it and hide behind all their rules... I understand there is a liability but an XJ isn't exactly so over complicated that they would send you out the door with a link disconnected or something; hopefully.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM

I finally got the axle centered!

I was still experiencing some coil clang after adjusting the track bar. So, I began a thorough inspection. I noticed that both coils had jumped out of their perch. I was able to put them back in place without too much difficulty. Took it for a spin to let the springs settle a bit and then came home to re-inspect. I measured the front axle for center and was dead on. Some days you get lucky