Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Adjustable Control Arms

Hey guys, well I'm back at it working on my XJ again, currently i sit at 4.5 inches of lift, its a Frankenstein type lift Ive made up of parts Ive compiled, 4.5 rough country coils, up front, with an Iron rock off road adjustable track bar, 3.5 leaf pack in the back with a 1 inch block, yeah yeah, blocks suck blah blah, but anyways, i have rough country fixed lower arms for the 4.5 lift but they have worn out bushings and they are the old style that are not replaceable, and i noticed my coils are a bit out of alignment anyways so ive decided to just go adjustable to correct this, ive been looking at Iron Man Fab. but im open to other suggestions as well, also im thinking of going with both adj. upper and lowers but im still debatable on that, any insight on the subject would be well appreciated, please forgive my horrible grammar and penmanship
Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

I personally like my Rubicon Express Superflex upper arms. When I replace my lower arms (have fixed RC arms now), I'll be going with Currie arms with johnny joints.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM

i haven't looked at those yet i honestly didn't know they were sold separately from their kit, do they come as a kit for upper and lower?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

Call rough country. you can get replacement bushings for those arms I spoke with someone on the phone about them and they gave me a part number at the time but I don't have it now
Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by xjheep92
Call rough country. you can get replacement bushings for those arms I spoke with someone on the phone about them and they gave me a part number at the time but I don't have it now
alright thanks buddy, ill look into it. Im pretty sure im gonna end up just going with adjustable arms , Im looking at Iron Rock Offroad and they look pretty nice, and for around 300-350 for both upper and lower arms im really thinking on getting them, but im pretty close to iron man fabs shop and know him personally and his arms are pure BEEF im gonna talk to him and see what kinda deal he could work with me on a complete set. Any body ever run IRO adjustable?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by Josh94xj
Hey guys, well I'm back at it working on my XJ again, currently i sit at 4.5 inches of lift, its a Frankenstein type lift Ive made up of parts Ive compiled, 4.5 rough country coils, up front, with an Iron rock off road adjustable track bar, 3.5 leaf pack in the back with a 1 inch block, yeah yeah, blocks suck blah blah, but anyways, i have rough country fixed lower arms for the 4.5 lift but they have worn out bushings and they are the old style that are not replaceable, and i noticed my coils are a bit out of alignment anyways so ive decided to just go adjustable to correct this, ive been looking at Iron Man Fab. but im open to other suggestions as well, also im thinking of going with both adj. upper and lowers but im still debatable on that, any insight on the subject would be well appreciated, please forgive my horrible grammar and penmanship
Nothing wrong with a small one inch block. The two n three inch blocks are the ones that suck more. Besides, its your rig, do what YOU want, not what others want.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
Nothing wrong with a small one inch block. The two n three inch blocks are the ones that suck more. Besides, its your rig, do what YOU want, not what others want.
totally agree, i hate blocks but its ok at only 1 inch, any higher and id just get a shackle, but its done and on there now so im gonna run it till i decided to lift more, if i ever do, 4.5 seems the perfect height to me.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

I ran Rough Country fixed lower arms and iron rock offroad adjustable uppers for a year and a half. I had wondering problems on the highway that drove me crazy.... I think it had to do with the bushings.

I got the lower arms used and one of the bushings was not centered. That's why I called rough country about the bushings.

I couldn't get it pressed back in properly. Then one of my upper arms did the same thing but I was able to get the bushing back in place.

Don't think it was a caster issue because I am now on a rock crawler 3 link with the same amount of caster and it goes perfectly straight down the high way.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Josh94xj
i haven't looked at those yet i honestly didn't know they were sold separately from their kit, do they come as a kit for upper and lower?
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=3501

Currie parts are expensive, but worth it imo.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Get adjustables upper and lower. The adjustability is nice all around. Ran IRO lowers on my last Cherokee with 4.5" on it. They are nicely set up great quality and very strong. Flex is decent with the oem style rubber bushings. Ride is good to. Good company to deal with. I will be ordering a set of adjustable uppers from them here soon to fix pinion angles (damn low pinion d30)
Old 02-16-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=3501

Currie parts are expensive, but worth it imo.
man those look really nice, but to be honest they are out of my price range about 400 is my max i believe, i really want some lowers with a bend to them, i think that will make it ride better and flex better to, thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bend really only helps with axle droop. The bend clears the shock mount better if you imagine it in your head and visualize. Those oem bushings are what helps ride some
Old 02-16-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 98cherokee531
The bend really only helps with axle droop. The bend clears the shock mount better if you imagine it in your head and visualize. Those oem bushings are what helps ride some

ahh yes i see what ur saying, but i was think of it the way a control arm drop bracket works but i get what u mean. i cant figure out why ironmanfab sells the polly bushing ones cheeper than ruber bushing ones.. seems backwards to me...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I went with the Rustys Off Road ones Adj.Upper/Lower CA's easy to replace bushings if needed $189 @
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

I ran Andy's (ironman) arms on my last XJ before I long-armed it. Had them on for about 2 years, almost 50k road miles and 10-12 wheeling trips a year. The bushings still looked brand new and the only damage to the arms was cosmetic from scratching them on rocks. I cleaned em up, hit em with some satin black and sold them to another guy when I went long arms. He thought they were almost brand new.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Control Arms