Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adj. BJs or Adj. UCA to fix camber after 5.5 lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Adj. BJs or Adj. UCA to fix camber after 5.5 lift?

So last week I installed my 4.5" RC lift with 1" coil spacers and 1" blocks in rear.(I know people are going to start complaining that I used spacers but please save it for now) the kit included the new LCAs (non-adjustable) but i still have the stock UCAs. I also installed the RC adjustable track arm with new mounting bracket and new pitman arm drop(what a pain!). I got an alignment done at Town Fair Tire and HERE is a photo of the specs.

I understand why the camber is off! I do not need that explained. What I cannot decide it what the best way to fix it is... Install adjustable Upper Control Arms or Install Adjustable Ball Joints???

I would also like to add that the alignment technician informed me that my top ball joints seemed a little loose and should be replaced so I am going to do that no matter what. should I replace the bottom ball joints at the same time?

Thanks in advance for anyones help!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

While you've got it apart, replace all the ball joints. Not just the uppers.
Adjustable UCAs wont do anything for camber. Worn out ball joints can cause the camber to be off, so could worn out wheel bearing/hub assemblies (that's what is causing my camber issue).
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM

I just want to add that my camber was fine before this lift and I did not change the tires or wheel size. Which shows that it is caused grom the lift
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

The camber is not adjustable on our jeeps unless you get adjustable ball joints. If your camber is off, something has went out.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
While you've got it apart, replace all the ball joints. Not just the uppers.
Adjustable UCAs wont do anything for camber. Worn out ball joints can cause the camber to be off, so could worn out wheel bearing/hub assemblies (that's what is causing my camber issue).
Thanks! I will make sure I change the top and bottom ball joints when I do them.

And I believe that upper controll arms can help camber because it will help my caster. With the caster off it makes it makes it so that the toe is now partially my camber.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Mrmatt2009
I just want to add that my camber was fine before this lift and I did not change the tires or wheel size. Which shows that it is caused grom the lift
It was probably out before the lift, you just didn't notice it. Lifting vehicles has a way of exposing pre-existing problems.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ta2tony
It was probably out before the lift, you just didn't notice it. Lifting vehicles has a way of exposing pre-existing problems.
I understand that, and it is posible it wasn't great before but it is for sure worse... I am now driving on the edge of my tires which is very noticeable, causing a great deal of noise and vibrations.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM

I also just lifted mine with 4.5 coils and the driver wheel is really layed in at the top, and didn't know what to do to fix it!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Im an allignment tech and camber is NOT adjustable on an xj without offset balljoints. If yours is off now then it was before and it is either worn ball joints or a bent axle causing the problem. Control arms only affect caster adjustment on an xj.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by letsgomuddin
Im an allignment tech and camber is NOT adjustable on an xj without offset balljoints. If yours is off now then it was before and it is either worn ball joints or a bent axle causing the problem. Control arms only affect caster adjustment on an xj.
I know that camber is not adjustable but please try to invision that because i now have new longer LCAs and still have my original UCAs and what was the front of the axle is now pointing more upwards (caster). So now my toe and steering is not perfectly horizontal anymore, it is slightly pointing up therefore changing my camber from a level ground point of view.

I hope that the way I said that makes some sense, and please anyone correct me if what I am saying is wrong.

Bottom line is that I know the camber cant be adjusted and if nothing is bad should be perfect, but from a level ground point of view my "camber" is off ......caster can affect camber.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Lifting your jeep wouldn't effect camber. Definitely your ball joints. X2 on replacing all ball joints rather than just the uppers.