Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add a leaf to a Skyjacker 3" lift for support

Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Add a leaf to a Skyjacker 3" lift for support

Hey All. I put a 3" Skyjacker lift on my ride about 3.5 years ago and noticed that the rear sagged compared to the front when initially installed.

Well, time has passed and I have loaded the ride down with more weight than I probably should have (Think cross country trips with about 4,000 pounds of trailer that was really tongue heavy, see pic) and it has been sagging even worse. I used a set of add-a-leafs from the auto parts store just to add some beefiness when towing and it helped with the sagging to a degree.

What I intend to do now is to add a pair of Rubicon Express 2.5" add-a-leafs to the Skyjacker 3" lift leaf set to raise up the rear end and hopefully have it become level with the front. I am done towing heavy loads, I hope, and I am thinking the new leafs will have enough spring in them to boost it up.

Has anyone heard of this? Does this sound like a solid theory? Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Your beyond that sort of thing, you need to go to a spring shop with your trailer loaded and let them look at it. Then have them build you a spring pac to match your needs for lift and overload, it will cost less than you think.

IMHO that really is the best way for you to go at this point. BTW nice XJ!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

I wonder if a s10 bastard pack with the overload spring would work.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, but like I said, I am done towing heavy loads and I just want to get my lift back. I sold the trailer and even removed my hitch.

I am hoping an add-a-leaf coupled with the Skyjacker 3" leaf set that I have installed will get her back up to where I want her. I guess I should get some pics of where she is currently sitting... I will work on that.

Does that sound like a good idea or should I just buy a new set of springs? Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by LocusCorrino
Thanks for the replies, but like I said, I am done towing heavy loads and I just want to get my lift back. I sold the trailer and even removed my hitch.

I am hoping an add-a-leaf coupled with the Skyjacker 3" leaf set that I have installed will get her back up to where I want her. I guess I should get some pics of where she is currently sitting... I will work on that.

Does that sound like a good idea or should I just buy a new set of springs? Thanks again!
1st off, Welcome to the forum. Now to buisness, AALs are just a bandaid to weak or sagging springs. Your best bet is to just invest in a set of new 3" leaf packs if you can afford them. You can find a decent set for around 300 bucks.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Look into an MJ or extended shackle too.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
1st off, Welcome to the forum. Now to buisness, AALs are just a bandaid to weak or sagging springs. Your best bet is to just invest in a set of new 3" leaf packs if you can afford them. You can find a decent set for around 300 bucks.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I was just trying to not spend the extra money. I definitely wont be going with Skyjacker again though. Not because they didn't hold up to the abuse I put them through, but because they sagged when they were brand new. I was very disappointed in them, which is why I didn't mind abusing the crap out of them. Maybe it was for the best. Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:22 PM
THE Admin

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I was just trying to not spend the extra money. I definitely wont be going with Skyjacker again though. Not because they didn't hold up to the abuse I put them through, but because they sagged when they were brand new. I was very disappointed in them, which is why I didn't mind abusing the crap out of them. Maybe it was for the best. Thanks guys!
You're welcome. Most will knock on them but the Rough Country full leaf packs are real affordable at 254.00 from RC.

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 02-15-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 PM

You're welcome. Most will knock on them but the Rough Country full leaf packs are real affordable at 254.00 from RC.
Any thoughts on the Rubicon Express RE1463 3.5" Leaf Spring? I found them on Amazon for about $240 for two. The reviews on Amazon seem to be positive.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 PM
THE Admin

Any thoughts on the Rubicon Express RE1463 3.5" Leaf Spring? I found them on Amazon for about $240 for two. The reviews on Amazon seem to be positive.
Great springs.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 AM

Great springs.
They net around 4" above stock tho after settling right?
Just so OP is aware. Im a fan of a lil rake but some are a fan of that pre runner loaded pants look also.

Id go with a good spring shop, tell them what you want and you will think they are magicians for about 1/2 the price of RE packs.

Last edited by XRated; 02-16-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:07 AM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by XRated

They net around 4" above stock tho after settling right?
Just so OP is aware. Im a fan of a lil rake but some are a fan of that pre runner loaded pants look also.

Id go with a good spring shop, tell them what you want and you will think they are magicians for about 1/2 the price of RE packs.
They net about an inch higher before being broke in. Once broken in, they settle to advertised height. If the OP is buying used ones, its a good bet they're only 3.5" by now. Besides 1/2 an inch is not a noticeable difference. Especially if you carry passengers or a little gear with you.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Rustys Off Road also has good springs for reasonable money, I have his rear leaf pack and the front HD coils 3" made for heavy bumpers/winches. Both were just a little high not much and settled quickly, none since then.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I already ordered the RE springs, so hopefully everything works out ok. I do like to carry a lot of gear, so I am thinking Its better to have a little extra height in the rear.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM

Well, now it seems the little extra added height is making a noise come from my Tcase for about 2 seconds when I let off the gas or accelerate. I am leaning towards Tcase drop or SYE to fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Add a leaf to a Skyjacker 3" lift for support