Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull my hair out on driveline vibe, need some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default About to pull my hair out on driveline vibe, need some pointers

I've been fighting a driveline vibe for almost six months, now. My XJ is lifted 4.5" with a Rubicon Express hack/tap SYE, 6 degree shims, and a stock XJ front driveshaft for the rear.

Every single U joint in the Jeep has been replaced with moog or spicer. New motor mounts, new trans mount. The output yoke is torqued to spec and there is no play in the driveshaft system. It's completely sold when bolted in. The rear output yoke is exactly 2 degrees below my driveshaft angle.

The noise only happens on moderate to heavy acceleration. It gets really bad over 50mph and stops completely when I let off the throttle. It's a pulsing noise and gets more intense and frequent the closer my vehicle approaches a shift point. The vibration isn't extremely loud, but it's enough to annoy the hell out of me and shake my loose change.

The noise is not present if I pull my rear driveshaft. The shaft itself is not warped and spins true to its axis.

It just appeared out of nowhere one day, I had this driveline setup for a few months with no issues. Get in and drive one evening and instantly notice.

What could it be? What should be my next step? I'm completely stumped. To make matters worse, there are no professional 4 wheel/Jeep/off-road shops around that could assist me (indiana), so I'm ****ed there as well.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

From my experience, that kind of noise/vibe is a u-joint going bad.

Could you have damaged one while putting them in ?

Are you sure the driveshaft end to end ?

Have you tried a different rear driveshaft to see if it is the shaft itself or not ? like maybe swap your front & rear driveshafts to see if ti changes or goes away ??
Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Gonna suggest, factory balancing weight gone missing off driveshaft? Would explain abrupt appearance of vibrations. Have had that before, didn't figure it out until i had the Ds in hand; could clearly see the broken tack weld.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TimV
Gonna suggest, factory balancing weight gone missing off driveshaft? Would explain abrupt appearance of vibrations. Have had that before, didn't figure it out until i had the Ds in hand; could clearly see the broken tack weld.
This is a very good suggestion. All it takes is one little weight to fly off and its out of balance. Maybe it came loose when you were wheeling and it came off goin down the road at a later time.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

What type of bushings in the leaf springs?
Old 07-30-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

been there and done that and had it be driveshaft balance issue. Did you try using your other front DS and see if there is any difference?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
From my experience, that kind of noise/vibe is a u-joint going bad.

Could you have damaged one while putting them in ?

Are you sure the driveshaft end to end ?

Have you tried a different rear driveshaft to see if it is the shaft itself or not ? like maybe swap your front & rear driveshafts to see if ti changes or goes away ??
I swapped my front and rear shafts with no success, but since my RE hack and tap SYE uses a different flange, I had to swap that as well.

Originally Posted by TimV
I swapped driveshafts but it very well could be an issue. My spicer output yoke on the DS has very slight play. I can shake it back and forth and hear a very, VERY faint click. I'm going to get the part warrantied today. Hopefully that'll be an issue.

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
What type of bushings in the leaf springs?
AFAIK just standard rubber, not poly. They are RCX leaf springs.

Originally Posted by aka"dude"
been there and done that and had it be driveshaft balance issue. Did you try using your other front DS and see if there is any difference?
Swapped shafts with no improvement, however I also had to swap my output flange since the RE SYE uses a proprietary one. Since the flange is the common factor between the two shafts, I'm hoping the very small amount of lateral play in it is my issue here.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tubur

AFAIK just standard rubber, not poly. They are RCX leaf springs.

What condition are they in...if they are worn out, they can cause vibes as well. I think the previous poster was also getting at this as well as the material.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:22 PM

What condition are they in...if they are worn out, they can cause vibes as well. I think the previous poster was also getting at this as well as the material.
They are only a year old; perfect condition with no cracking. My shackle bushings are stock with 189k miles on them, however. They are dry and have some hairline cracks, but nothing serious.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I've been fighting a driveline vibe for almost six months, now. My XJ is lifted 4.5" with a Rubicon Express hack/tap SYE, 6 degree shims, and a stock XJ front driveshaft for the rear.

Every single U joint in the Jeep has been replaced with moog or spicer. New motor mounts, new trans mount. The output yoke is torqued to spec and there is no play in the driveshaft system. It's completely sold when bolted in. The rear output yoke is exactly 2 degrees below my driveshaft angle.

The noise only happens on moderate to heavy acceleration. It gets really bad over 50mph and stops completely when I let off the throttle. It's a pulsing noise and gets more intense and frequent the closer my vehicle approaches a shift point. The vibration isn't extremely loud, but it's enough to annoy the hell out of me and shake my loose change.

The noise is not present if I pull my rear driveshaft. The shaft itself is not warped and spins true to its axis.

It just appeared out of nowhere one day, I had this driveline setup for a few months with no issues. Get in and drive one evening and instantly notice.

What could it be? What should be my next step? I'm completely stumped. To make matters worse, there are no professional 4 wheel/Jeep/off-road shops around that could assist me (indiana), so I'm ****ed there as well.
Was lift installed then vibes appear . Can you post some pics.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

They are only a year old; perfect condition with no cracking. My shackle bushings are stock with 189k miles on them, however. They are dry and have some hairline cracks, but nothing serious.

Are you sure ??

On my 96 (w/160k on it, 40k on the shackle bushings), I thought the same thing, till I put in a SYE kit and when went to put in shims, I saw how bad the shackle bushings were....bolt was not even close to being centered in the bushing at all.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Was lift installed then vibes appear . Can you post some pics.
The lift and SYE were installed for a few months with zero vibes. Just appeared out of nowhere driving home one day.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Are you sure ??

On my 96 (w/160k on it, 40k on the shackle bushings), I thought the same thing, till I put in a SYE kit and when went to put in shims, I saw how bad the shackle bushings were....bolt was not even close to being centered in the bushing at all.
the bolt is centered, and I can't see more than hairline cracks. Besides removing the shackle entirely (which I'm really not wanting to do), is there any other symptoms or indications of shot bushings?
Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

the bolt is centered, and I can't see more than hairline cracks. Besides removing the shackle entirely (which I'm really not wanting to do), is there any other symptoms or indications of shot bushings?
you can have the shackle off in 5 minutes...i just did this morning haha!!! Went back on even faster
Old 08-05-2017, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The SYE I used is from Iron Rock Off Road it uses a stock front drive shaft it doesn't use a flange it bolts up the same as it does on the front , so if you are out 4 wheeling all you need is one dive shaft for a spare . I think the flange could be the problem .