Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAL question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AAL question

I've posted this in the Zone Lift thread, but thought it better to start a new thread.

Just bought a Zone 3 inch AAL, the only reason I got AAL is because I'm all the way out in South Africa and shipping costs are CRAY.

My intention was to have the original leaf springs re-ached (a process where you heat and cool the spring to "erase the metal's memory", and re-bend them) to essentially give me a "fresh" leaf pack and then add the AAL after to achieve the lift. I'm really worried about sag...It will only cost me around $80, but its a bit of a hassle.
So i'd like to know wether I would need to do this or not. In essence can I get away with an AAL or do I need fresh springs?

Below are some pictures of my rig to give you guys an idea of what condition my stock leaves are in:

My Jeep XJ is a 2000 with 150k miles on the clock...*NB I'm running 245/75R15 which is why the wheel arches are so filled up.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Any spring shops around you ?They can custom make you a leaf pack any lift you want.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:34 AM

Yeah, there are - thats who I was going to get to re-arch the springs.

I realise they can custom make up a set, but seeing as I have bought the AAL kit already I'm wondering wether I need to bother, wether my leaves are in good enough condition to simply slip in the AAL - hence the pictures.

Getting leaves made up here was never the problem, I bought the kit for the coils and shocks (which you cant get here for neither love nor money).

I just want to ascertain wether I truly need to get my leaf packs re-ached or wether an experienced eye can tell me if the AAL will work fine. I've read mixed reviews about AAL's, some hold and some sag...just want to find out from experience which mine will do.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:59 AM

Year: 1998

Getting re-arched is not a bad idea. wile they have have the pack apart you can have them insert the AAL to pack this way don't have to pull the pack apart again. They may be able to re-arch them to match the AAL so all the spring rates match and the AAL is not doing all of the work.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
Getting re-arched is not a bad idea. wile they have have the pack apart you can have them insert the AAL to pack this way don't have to pull the pack apart again. They may be able to re-arch them to match the AAL so all the spring rates match and the AAL is not doing all of the work.
I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I re-arch them the same curve as the AAL, won't that make the leaf pack sit much higher than 3 inches?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I re-arch them the same curve as the AAL, won't that make the leaf pack sit much higher than 3 inches?
Yes i think you are right that it will sit higher. But the springs are not going to be made longer so it should flatten out once they are installed. if you look at the AAL it has a large arch and a high spring rate that forces the other springs to match the arch giving you the lift. Over time the AAL will sag because it is doing more work of holding the weight than the rest of the pack. What I ment before is to have the old springs re-tempered to match the AAL so the whole pack is working not just the AAL.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Your springs look surprisingly good for 150K. Many times they're inverted by that mileage.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

if the leaf is anything like the rancho one i bought (mine was 2") - it'll be fine. ive had mine on for 60k? miles i want to say. 2.5 years i think? idk. awhile. they've seen a lot of abuse in the sense of hauling heavy stuff and a few tows. i keep ~100lb in the hatch at all times and the leaves aren't sagging yet. my factory ones looked way worse than yours.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
Yes i think you are right that it will sit higher. But the springs are not going to be made longer so it should flatten out once they are installed. if you look at the AAL it has a large arch and a high spring rate that forces the other springs to match the arch giving you the lift. Over time the AAL will sag because it is doing more work of holding the weight than the rest of the pack. What I ment before is to have the old springs re-tempered to match the AAL so the whole pack is working not just the AAL.
My only concern is that it would then make the pack super stiff?? I don’t know!? And if you’re thinking why I don’t ask the experts - Because customer service here is terrible and getting a straight answer out of one of these guys is like drawing water from a stone.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tbone289
Your springs look surprisingly good for 150K. Many times they're inverted by that mileage.
Thats encourageing, you see I’m not sure if my springs are good or bad for the age of the vehicle. I figure if they’re in decent shape for the age I’ll just slip the AAL in?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by s346k
if the leaf is anything like the rancho one i bought (mine was 2") - it'll be fine. ive had mine on for 60k? miles i want to say. 2.5 years i think? idk. awhile. they've seen a lot of abuse in the sense of hauling heavy stuff and a few tows. i keep ~100lb in the hatch at all times and the leaves aren't sagging yet. my factory ones looked way worse than yours.
Good info thanks! The zone leaf is super long for a better ride apparently and sits below the main leaf, for comparison can you remember what size your AAL was?
This vehicle sat for years according to the service book and I don’t think it was wheeled at all which may explain the leaves.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Thats encourageing, you see I’m not sure if my springs are good or bad for the age of the vehicle. I figure if they’re in decent shape for the age I’ll just slip the AAL in?
I'll leave that answer to those who have more AAL experience than I.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Your springs look like the ones I recently took off of my '96 (164K miles). I never had any issues such as bottoming out with fairly heavy loads or trouble when towing a trailer. So let's say they're good for their age. But remember their original weight rating isn't there. I've read here a lot of times that when suspension systems are changed that the owner has to fine tune due to one reason or another meaning they'll take it apart.

So if it were me in your situation I would remove the springs and first see how they compare to each other arch wise. Mine matched up. I'd then disassemble them and look for any cracks or damages. Wire brush them. Paint them. And get everything else new needed to assemble them. Reinstall with the aal and see what you got. If they don't work out you can go the next step which would be to re-arch or replace. Once you have initially taken them off if you need to do it again it will be A LOT easier but I believe they'll work out fine. You may end up having to adjust the front or back depending on how you want the vehicle sit.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't over think this....try the AAL and see how it works for you, and if you get the ride and clearance you need. Worst case option is that you will have to buy new springs.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Your springs look like the ones I recently took off of my '96 (164K miles). I never had any issues such as bottoming out with fairly heavy loads or trouble when towing a trailer. So let's say they're good for their age. But remember their original weight rating isn't there. I've read here a lot of times that when suspension systems are changed that the owner has to fine tune due to one reason or another meaning they'll take it apart.

So if it were me in your situation I would remove the springs and first see how they compare to each other arch wise. Mine matched up. I'd then disassemble them and look for any cracks or damages. Wire brush them. Paint them. And get everything else new needed to assemble them. Reinstall with the aal and see what you got. If they don't work out you can go the next step which would be to re-arch or replace. Once you have initially taken them off if you need to do it again it will be A LOT easier but I believe they'll work out fine. You may end up having to adjust the front or back depending on how you want the vehicle sit.
yeah I think I’ll take em off see what kind of state they’re in and take it from there.
Im sure I’m over thinking it and it will be pretty simple decision once they’re off. Thanks for the advice.
Hopefully starting on it tomorrow, so will have some pics up just for reference.