Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99’ xj 4.0l radiator swap without plastics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l
Default 99’ xj 4.0l radiator swap without plastics?

Hello everyone. I am new here, and also new to using forum’s so please bare with me as I learn. Anyway, I have been contemplating some changes on my trail rig, but have not found any good info on what I would like to do. I plan on doing an alt. Relocation, and ditching the ac system. When I do get around to it, I would like to change my radiator to a basic “no tranny cooler” radiator. Of course I plan to use a stand alone tranny cooler in place of my ac condenser, and swap to electric fans. This may not be possible, I am not sure. That’s why I am here! Lol. So, has anyone done anything like this? If so, what radiator will work? Thanks in advance for any information!

I love the smile my son has when we’re wheeling in the creek at the farm😁
Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You can use the standard radiator or any replacement equivalent and just not run the trans lines through it; many people bypass it entirely as it's just a simple heat exchanger that helps the fluid get up to temp quickly and not so much of a cooler at all.

I ditched the stock fan setup and use three electric 10" SPAL pullers that do a great job and keep temps pretty much right at 205ºF regardless of conditions. You'll probably need a good shroud for them though, Dirtbound still makes some I think.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

If your offroading a lot I would keep the mechanical fan and upgrade the fan clutch to one off of a 4cyl. The mechanical fan will pull more air, and if your going through deep water and mud, (which I am assuming you are since you want to relocate the alternator) water can get into the fan motors and ruin them, not much of an issue with a mechanical fan.