Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 JEEP XJ: Exhaust (Muffler) and Air Intake (system), suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Arrow 99 JEEP XJ: Exhaust (Muffler) and Air Intake (system), suggestions?

I have a stock '99 Jeep Cherokee XJ.
It's been having Death Wobble issues, so I figured I might as well get some work done on it that I've been meaning to do.
For the Exhaust, I'm welcome to any suggestions. I think I'm gonna go with a Flowmaster, but I'm not sure if that would be BEST. I have heard a lot about how great Magnaflow and Thrush exhausts are, but that they aren't very loud. I figured if I'm gonna spend all this money, I might as well get something good.
If you have any suggestions, could you possibly include a price range too because being a college student doesn't help me get anywhere special
Also, since I'm working off a budget, is it mandatory for me to replace the ENTIRE Exhaust system or will it be OK to just change the muffler?

For the Air Intake, I have my sets pretty much set on the K&N Cold Air Intake, but I want to know if there is anything else a little less pricey (maybe even a knock off) that will perform the same way.
Same as the exhaust, is it mandatory to change the entire Air Intake System or will be be fine if i just change the filter?

Thanks! Any other suggestions are welcome (preferably mpg solutions )
Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

most aftermarket mufflers require a larger pipe, im running a 2.5 in dynomax muffler and exit pipe which only ran me $120 but the muffler isnt very loud, its grumbles but its no window breaker but the pipe has a nice mean look to it. as for intake, many will tell u its a waste because the original box allows enough flow but those who do hav aftermarket intakes insist they saw a performance gain. cheapest route would be to buy a new filter and install a heat shield (less your air wont be "cold")

good luck hope it helped!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by just_jeepin
most aftermarket mufflers require a larger pipe, im running a 2.5 in dynomax muffler and exit pipe which only ran me $120 but the muffler isnt very loud, its grumbles but its no window breaker but the pipe has a nice mean look to it. as for intake, many will tell u its a waste because the original box allows enough flow but those who do hav aftermarket intakes insist they saw a performance gain. cheapest route would be to buy a new filter and install a heat shield (less your air wont be "cold")

good luck hope it helped!
any brand suggestion on the exhaust though? and you think i should just get the muffler or the whole system?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

i bought alot of the spectre stuff at auto zone and built my own heat shield im maybe in it $70 but for that i got a cleaning kit and two filters...that way one is always clean
Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJa11day
any brand suggestion on the exhaust though? and you think i should just get the muffler or the whole system?

I have a Thrush welded and it is loud. Gets a little raspy up top but down low it sounds great.

With the doors off I almost need ear plugs if i am going to be wheeling all day.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by XJa11day
dynomax, flowmaster, magnaflow, gibson. theyre all good brands it just depends on what ur willing to shell out
Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

We have Flowmaster and MagnaFlow knock off's if your looking to save some money. They will sound the same, the main difference is the warranty isn't as long.

Dynomax, Gibson and MagnaFlow are the same type of mufflers so they will sound very similar.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by Demolition_x
I have a Thrush welded and it is loud. Gets a little raspy up top but down low it sounds great.

With the doors off I almost need ear plugs if i am going to be wheeling all day.
same muffler here... my neighbor gets pissed if i come home late.. he says it wakes up his dog or some crap... but it its a loud one
Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

I decided to be different...

Cherrybomb turbo muffler from autozone $20
90* pipe $8 from autozone
exhaust bracket $7 from O'reilly's
band clamp $11 from O'reilly's
exhaust tip free from some other project

My "under $50 catback" side exit exhaust. With a 9/16" and 1/2" socket the whole deal comes off incase I need it to.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

Dynomax catback can be had for cheap from Amazon with free shipping.... and the $75 rebate from Dynomax makes it CHEAP.

$65 for a bolt up 0 effort solution = big win in my book.

Last edited by splitime; 05-18-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by just_jeepin
dynomax, flowmaster, magnaflow, gibson. theyre all good brands it just depends on what ur willing to shell out
haha i know about these brands. im looking for somewhat of an increase to my mpg while still maintaining a nice, semi-loud rumble and rev.
think you can list these brands with what u think their price ranges might be?
also, do you think i should go for the whole kit or will the difference be very little if i just get the muffler.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

My plan (when it comes time to do it) Is pricey, but I think would be good in the long run. If anyone disagrees or has any comments they can PM me about it but here it goes. 1. Purchase a Borla exhaust header kit. 2. Purchase a Magnaflow CAT. 3. Purchase Magnaflow cat-back system. I have a Magnaflow muffler on right now, but I wanna replace all the old piping with new. It isn't Glass pack (Used to have 24" glass packs true duals on my 91 F-150) loud, but it sounds nice. I need to research tubing diameters and what not for the kits before I install, but that's quite a ways off. As for CAI, I'd say go with K&N.

Last edited by jusper88; 05-18-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added info...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Year: 1997, 1990, 1994
Engine: 4.0 x3

I'm probably just reading this wrong, but you are having death wobble issues so you decided to get an exhaust and intake?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Nickell80
I'm probably just reading this wrong, but you are having death wobble issues so you decided to get an exhaust and intake?
If you go fast enough you can ignore the wobble
Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For the intake, just change to a high end filter in the OE box.

X3 on the Thrust Turbo muffler. Sounds really good!

Also, get the death wobble fixed before you touch the intake or exhaust.

Quick Reply: 99 JEEP XJ: Exhaust (Muffler) and Air Intake (system), suggestions?