Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 cherokee sport 3 inch rough country lift *help*

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 cherokee sport 3 inch rough country lift *help*

I am planning to put on a 3 inch lift on my xj it already has 1.5 inch wheel spacers the brand I am going to put on is rough country I was looking to see what extras I will need to make it a daily driver mostly highway (track bar,steering stabilizer, ect)
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I would suggest an adjustable trac bar so you can move up eventually if you want. You don't need lower control arms but I'd keep it on your radar for when you want to move up. You only need a steering stabilizer if yours is bad. They aren't essential but do help. I'd suggest shocks. You can probably get by for a whole but it'll really make your ride rough especially since you're going with RC which will already be a rough ride. Enjoy it! Oh and pb blaster! Spray that junk down twice and as for a week.... At least!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:35 AM

I'm worried about getting the death wobble though will this prevent it also do I need to drop granny or transfer case or anything like that
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

It just depends on your rig. Best bet is to lift it and see if you get it. Make sure and have it aligned after the lift. If you get it check your trac bar bolts and bracket. I think that's the number one cause of dw. But then check your tie rod ends and bushings. And a slew of other stuff.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM

I did that exact lift on my jeep and I dont recommend rc , it rides real rough, also had to do lcas to fix death wobble and if you have an 8.25 and a slip yolk like my 99 plan on getting axle shims
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be good to go with that kit it will "NOT" create a Death Wobble but you do need to check you front end to be sure its in good shape. As with any of these entry level kits shocks usually are not the greatest and have a lot to do with the ride.

The transfer case drop kit is cheap and most 3" kits don't need but for the cost I did it just to make sure. Good luck and post pics when your finished.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 AM

Year: 1996

I have heard nothing but good things about rough country lifts. I too am getting a 3 inch lift here soon but what a lot of people don't understand is that you can't just throw the **** on and go. There are a couple other things that are required! First, you need an adjustable track bar. Once you put the 3 inch lift I believe the axle shifts to the left about an inch or so. Using an adjustable track bar will counter act this. Next you need to get an alignment done once your lift and tires are on.

My guess is the people that complain about the lift just don't do it right. Track bar and alignment. I was going to get the rough country adjustable track bar but the reviews weren't so good, but I found a rubicon express one for about 10 bucks more or so. Here is the link. Get this one.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/ru...5-49-a-159566/

I'm also getting extended brake lines. People say they are not necessarily needed but it's not much extra money. I'm getting 95 YJ lines from autozone or something. Good Luck with the lift. I'll be putting mine on in December.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Year: 1993

Please don't drop granny...LMAO. sorry
Depends on the kit you order. I installed one of the Series II kits once.
You should have the following at least:
Front Coil Springs
Front Lower Control Arms
Sway Bar Drop Brackets
Rear Leaf Springs
Rear U-Bolts
4 N2.0 Series Shocks
I wasn't very impressed with the shocks and the front springs settled about a full inch after about 9 months. Definitely adj. track bar and JKS sway bar links when you can afford them. Didn't need to drop the T-case as the drive lines still at a decent angle. Good luck~
Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a 88 jeep cherokee sport on a RC 3" lift with 33 tires ride somewhat ok bt the flex is nice!!! For the money I think it's worth it IMO
Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Originally Posted by kal1fornia
I have heard nothing but good things about rough country lifts. I too am getting a 3 inch lift here soon but what a lot of people don't understand is that you can't just throw the **** on and go. There are a couple other things that are required! First, you need an adjustable track bar. Once you put the 3 inch lift I believe the axle shifts to the left about an inch or so. Using an adjustable track bar will counter act this. Next you need to get an alignment done once your lift and tires are on.

My guess is the people that complain about the lift just don't do it right. Track bar and alignment. I was going to get the rough country adjustable track bar but the reviews weren't so good, but I found a rubicon express one for about 10 bucks more or so. Here is the link. Get this one.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/ru...5-49-a-159566/

I'm also getting extended brake lines. People say they are not necessarily needed but it's not much extra money. I'm getting 95 YJ lines from autozone or something. Good Luck with the lift. I'll be putting mine on in December.
Nothing but good things? Go read the thread "Rough Country" in tee vendor section. Their springs are rough, their leafs are short and their lifts ride like crap, but they'll be the cheapest way to lift it and their customer service is usually pretty good.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6

I bought a zone 3" kit last year shocks, front springs I did the AAL my springs are fine. I paid 291 with the nitro shock upgrade. I will not put rough country parts on my jeep. I did get an adjustable track bar and I did put longer lower control arms on it.
I had driveline vibrations so I whipped up a T case drop as a temporary fix.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:32 AM

Year: 1994

idk why everyone says rough country is bad... i have a rough country 3 inch lift and it flexes really nice and i do not have any sway bars on my jeep... i took them off the first day i bought it front and back are gone... the rough country might be a firm ride but its really not that bad at all in my opinion i really like it...

only thing i dont like about the lift kit i got is that i got a pro comp track bar what a piece of **** i had it on my jeep for 3 weeks and the heim joint went out and spend another 60 getting an upgraded heim joint and mis alignment pins smh

kinda wish i woulda went with the iron rock double sheer track bar
Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 AM

Year: 1996

I have the Series II kit with the AAL and like it fine. It is a budget lift. But the LCAs have held up fine, and the AAL has not sagged in two years despite some questionable leaf packs and heavy wheeling. The shocks are mediocre and it rides a bit rough. But it was inexpensive and worked. Get it aligned, get a quality track bar and roll with it.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:44 PM

thanks for all the input guys I'm gonna go with a non RC track bar and a transfer drop kit it should be done around Christmas cuz all my buddies will be out of college ill post pictures for sure
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6

I thought long and hard about a lift kit , wife bought the jeep new in 2000 it had never had shocks put on it.
I was told by some buds to get a RC 4.5 inch lift I saw all the bad reveiws and went with a zone lift. Last christmas or right before I found a shop near me selling zone kits and called them up for 291 I got coils,nitro shocks, AAL as my rear springs werent bad.

Quick Reply: 99 cherokee sport 3 inch rough country lift *help*