Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 XJ steering wheel replacement, and getting airbag light to go off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 XJ steering wheel replacement, and getting airbag light to go off.

I searched the forum, and pretty much figured out how to swap out the stock airbag steering wheel in my 98 XJ with a non-airbag Grant style wheel. (I know, its illegal, the signals will have to be cancelled manually, etc). Thing is, my XJ is already heavily modified, and the airbags are already disabled Passenger side airbag is removed altogether and is replaced by a switch cluster.

My steering wheel, because of the 1 ton steering, is off to the left 90 degrees. Same turn ratio left and right, but the wheel itself is off.

Cruise control wheel, but no cruise control. And I am fine with that.

So I am going to replace the steering wheel with a Grant wheel and adapter, make sure the wheels are straight when I install the Grant with a Jeep horn button, and just self cancel the signal when I use it.

But here is the real question that I could NOT find answered in the forum: Is there an easy way to turn off the airbag light once the airbags are disabled? Some wire or wire plug I can add a jumper wire to to trick the computer into thinking the airbags are working just fine, ergo shutting off the light? Is there any easy solution short of pulling the dash and unplugging the bulb, and would unplugging the bulb cause a computer glitch?

(Note: In the pictures, the steering wheel is straight, but the wheels are not. When the wheels are straight and moving straight ahead, the steering wheel is 90 degrees to the left).

Thanks!

Kev

Old 07-23-2017, 06:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look in to snow plow kit for air bags,But if you drive that on the street and the cop wants to be a jerk he can impound your jeep over not having a air bag just a heads up.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:02 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.7L I6

Just remove the bulb. The 1998-2001 XJ gauge clusters require a notification over the CCD bus every ten seconds from the air bag module tell it to keep the light turned off. 1997 XJ gauge clusters only require it to be done once at power up.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I just came across this post and felt compelled to leave an answer. Your steering is off because the drag link needs to be adjusted. Simply throwing a steering wheel on with the wheels pointed straight ahead (which you'll never truly get without an alignment machine showing you straight-ahead) will only make things worse. You'll have more revolutions one way than the other way.

The red circled part here is the drag link. Just rotate it and you'll get your steering wheel straight again. I usually drive it forward a few feet to get the wheels to self straighten, climb under and adjust drag link, check if wheel is straight by driving forward more, rinse & repeat until satisfied.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
I just came across this post and felt compelled to leave an answer. Your steering is off because the drag link needs to be adjusted. Simply throwing a steering wheel on with the wheels pointed straight ahead (which you'll never truly get without an alignment machine showing you straight-ahead) will only make things worse. You'll have more revolutions one way than the other way.

The red circled part here is the drag link. Just rotate it and you'll get your steering wheel straight again. I usually drive it forward a few feet to get the wheels to self straighten, climb under and adjust drag link, check if wheel is straight by driving forward more, rinse & repeat until satisfied.

So that won't throw off my alignment or anything, just straighten the steering wheel? I didn't count revolutions left or right, but it seems about the same. But a 1/4 turn shouldn't be too hard to correct, right?

The steering wheel is 1/4 turn to the left. So to correct it, would I tighten the drag link, or loosen it?

Thanks!

Kev
Old 08-10-2017, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

The draglink does not affect the alignment. I'm not sure which way you need to turn it, just try one way and see if it's the direction you need the wheel to go. If not, obviously go the other way.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
The draglink does not affect the alignment. I'm not sure which way you need to turn it, just try one way and see if it's the direction you need the wheel to go. If not, obviously go the other way.
Thanks!

Kev