Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98' booster to a 90' Xj

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 90'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98' booster to a 90' Xj

Recently installed (pads / shoes) and bleed brakes, not a day later she kept shooting to the floor.

Too many days later, nearly slammed into a city worker so I went to yukyard. First XJ I came across in the was a 98'. Everything looked the same, and since I had 15 min before close, I thought of just giving it a go. Aside from the new mounted location of the mas.cyl. to the booster, and the connecting end of the pedal rod needing to be bored to 5/8" and the tangent to 12'clock, (if 6'clock being towards booster) needs to be ground flat to est. 0.115" so as to not interfere w/ the brake switch.
Also, I extended the two lines going to rear and pass, and just got a line that went direct to Dr.Fr. caliper.

What. A. Difference.

98' XJ booster. The switch from a 90' XJ won't fit unless the eyelet is bored and diver side edge is ground down.

98' booster and mad cyl in my 90'

Extended lines to newer mounting location of mas cyl
Old 02-20-2018, 05:41 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Nice. Booster upgrade is huge.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 PM

Update! The 90' XJ brake light is not activating. Perhaps the two "two prong" plugs were connected wrong but I fiddled briefly After getting home after dark but I decided to reference the manual to ensure connections are kosher, but perhaps!!!

It may have to do with the shape of the end of booster rod not pushing the switch attached to pedal/ booster axis. The 98' was a complete circle and the 90' XJ had a taper and the center of the bolt hole is offset from the center line of the 90' XJ booster rod... any thoughts while I research!? Sorry, no photos of 90' booster brake pedal rod, but I'll try and upload one tomorrow for reference.

Cruiser! To this day, while I would stop (and feel the sponge of my brakes) I have your double booster concept mulling in my head
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Salden Hund
Update! The 90' XJ brake light is not activating. Perhaps the two "two prong" plugs were connected wrong but I fiddled briefly After getting home after dark but I decided to reference the manual to ensure connections are kosher, but perhaps!!!

It may have to do with the shape of the end of booster rod not pushing the switch attached to pedal/ booster axis. The 98' was a complete circle and the 90' XJ had a taper and the center of the bolt hole is offset from the center line of the 90' XJ booster rod... any thoughts while I research!? Sorry, no photos of 90' booster brake pedal rod, but I'll try and upload one tomorrow for reference.

Cruiser! To this day, while I would stop (and feel the sponge of my brakes) I have your double booster concept mulling in my head

You probably ground off a teeny bit too much off the booster rod.

Try rocking the brake switch up and down and see if the brake lights come on. .
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Salden Hund

Upgrade this upgrade by using the Durango master and one step furthur change pedal assembly out to use a normal brake switch and never look back.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:12 AM

I think it might have to do w the flat end of the rod. Old had an almost square end whereas the 98 was just a circle.( photos later for compa.)
I cut a thin piece of tin and shimmed the switch. Works perfectly fine. I never meas. the gap cruiser when I was grinding, I would take a few passes then test fit the hinge. It fit snug w the swt. Assembly. Ill upload some clips later to show before and after FSAG.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Here's what I did. I cut the end off the old booster and used it as a template.
Attached Thumbnails 98' booster to a 90' Xj-booster-end.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 AM

Brilliant! Great idea!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Upgrade this upgrade by using the Durango master and one step furthur change pedal assembly out to use a normal brake switch and never look back.
if this fails, which it's still working pretty well ( shim an all) , I'll Def. Give it a go.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had to shim mine too. Make sure the shim has a 90 degree bend in it at the top side to keep it from falling out over time. Mine has been working great for over a year with the shim.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:28 AM

Yeah! I made it bent on both ends and it seems to be working great.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome. As a side note, you can hear the switch click when you apply the brakes. While sitting at a stop light, if I ease off the pedal a hair (without letting the vehicle roll) you can hear the switch click off. I've never bothered to have someone check to see if the brake lights go off, but if they do then some folks are annoyed with me! There is a sweet spot in the pedal that you can hear the switch clicking on and off. I imagine the lights are flashing at someone then.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Awesome. As a side note, you can hear the switch click when you apply the brakes. While sitting at a stop light, if I ease off the pedal a hair (without letting the vehicle roll) you can hear the switch click off. I've never bothered to have someone check to see if the brake lights go off, but if they do then some folks are annoyed with me! There is a sweet spot in the pedal that you can hear the switch clicking on and off. I imagine the lights are flashing at someone then.

Lol hahaha. Every five min. I'm ears to the floor listenining for the click.