Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 xj sport 4.0 losing rpms and dying in reverse and while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 97 xj sport 4.0 losing rpms and dying in reverse and while driving

So this started the other day i was leaving work and i cranked the jeep up and it was fine but then when i put it in reverse it started bucking, losing rpms, and eventually dying, i was able to put it in park and it cranked right back up no problems. when i put it in reverse it did the same thing but i was able to back out by holding the brake and letting it back up slowly. It’s been driving fine except for in reverse for the last three days until today. So i started driving like normal and got to around 45-50 mph and the roma would drop really fast and wonder up to 3000 rpms down to 100 rpms until i’d give it gas and itd shoot back up to 3000 rpms. But if i don’t give it gas the rpms will wonder and eventually the engine will die. I did some playing around with it and I’d go 35-45 mph and when i’d let off the gas a little it would buck and rpms would wonder and either die or i could save it by giving it more gas. I also did the key trick and it gave me code 11 for bad cps and what not. I’m gunna go to the salvage yard tomorrow and get a cps and put it in and see where that gets me but for i’m clueless. Any ideas????,