Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 severe steering vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '97 severe steering vibration

Hey everybody,
New to this site and desperate for an accurate answer.
I just purchased a '97 sport with 2" body lift and 31's. When I test drove it I wished I'd gotten it up to 70mph because now that I have she's got a SEVERE frontend steering vibration. Like the tires were gonna come off!! I'm thinking the steering dampener but figured I'd find more expert advice here. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ChrisCubed#3
Hey everybody,
New to this site and desperate for an accurate answer.
I just purchased a '97 sport with 2" body lift and 31's. When I test drove it I wished I'd gotten it up to 70mph because now that I have she's got a SEVERE frontend steering vibration. Like the tires were gonna come off!! I'm thinking the steering dampener but figured I'd find more expert advice here. Anybody have any suggestions?
first off welcome to the forum. 2) XJ is a unibody no such thing as a body lift. As for your vibration itit could be many different things from tire balance to ball joints etc. I would recommend taking it ro a shop and having a multi point check over done. Many shops will do this absolutely free. Just tell them you just bought it and want a check out. Shops around me do it for free hoping to sell you the parts you need. I would call the local Jeep dealer and ask if they do complimentary inspections. If you want to do it yourself check youtube for videos or ask on here but most of it is hard to explain in text.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0L

Too add to EXPO's response, the steering dampener is not a reason for wobble like that. A properly setup and tight suspension on an XJ doesn't even need a steering dampener.

If you can get a free inspection, do it. If you can't, a good place to start is to make sure your tires are balanced. If that doesn't change anything, I'd look at the track bar next. But again, like EXPO said, it could be a few things that cause this.