Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 head into a 2000 xj

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 head into a 2000 xj

I have read some threads but I'm still not quite clear on a few things. When I put the head of the 97 into my 2000 xj, will I need different exhaust headers? Or will I be able to use the 97 headers, or my stock 2000 headers? The other question I have is what gaskets should I use for the head, valve cover, t stat,intake manifold, and exhaust? thanks any info would help just getting into the Xj world.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Kody.nielson
I have read some threads but I'm still not quite clear on a few things. When I put the head of the 97 into my 2000 xj, will I need different exhaust headers? Or will I be able to use the 97 headers, or my stock 2000 headers? The other question I have is what gaskets should I use for the head, valve cover, t stat,intake manifold, and exhaust? thanks any info would help just getting into the Xj world.
Gaskets wise which everyone they are both the same part numbers. As for the header you probably have a dual manifold. From what I remember reading you use the intake/exhaust gasket that matches the head better and doesn't block any port. As for the head are you still running coil on plug or going to make a bracket for the coil pack since the 97 doesn't have the mounting holes for the coil pack.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM

I will keep my original coil pack and just make brackets unless the wires are better way to go? But for the headers, will my original ones Cover the exhaust ports on the 97?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

By how much? I know when I got a new header it had the gasket opening was more open compared to the 99 gasket .
Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 PM

Another question I did a compression test before I took off the head and they are as followed 1-0psi 2-100psi 3-105psi 4-195psi 5-120psi 6-125psi.do they seem all little low or is it just me?
Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kody.nielson
Another question I did a compression test before I took off the head and they are as followed 1-0psi 2-100psi 3-105psi 4-195psi 5-120psi 6-125psi.do they seem all little low or is it just me?
That's not good of the numbers are right cylinder 1, 0psi, and 4 195psi. Why are you replacing the head anyways.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

looks like cylinder 1 is dead
Old 10-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Sorry number four is 95psi not 195psi. The wife was driving the xj and overheated it, and now it had a misfir! Then it started overheating I figured it had a blown head gasket or cracked head. So I just got the head off, and it looks good, but thats by my eyes! I will replace it anyways with a better head. I'm just not sure if those compression test meant more problems than the just the head?
Old 10-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

0 psi????????????
Old 10-27-2014, 01:46 AM

Yep what does that mean?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 AM
CF Veteran

The 0 psi would show a misfire what cylinder did it say misfire? So this is my hypothesis. When it overheated you could of actually broke a valve spring but you would of seen it when you pulled off the head if you have already done it. Another thing could be that the gasket actually blew apart but it either should show some compression. How long after it was first overheated was it driven till? Was the misfire fixed or just the code cleared? How long from the first overheat has it overheated and how many times? How long does it take to reach above 210? Oil look like chocolate milk. Coolant level changed? The more info the better.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 PM

This is what went down! Wife was driving the car the power steering pulley disintegrated throwing the serpentine belt off flipping around hitting the temp sensor and banging up the electric fan pretty bad. she was listening to music very loud and didn't notice any of this! Once she saw steam she pulled over, I showed up and replace the power steering/Polly and temp sensor.Toped the antifreeze off and drove it home myself.on the way home I noticed it was running rough so I stopped and got the code read and it said misfire in cylinder one. So I replaced the spark plug hoping it just fouled it. No luck! So I continued to drive home which all together was a 30 minute drive, and it stayed at 210 the whole way. When I got home I noticed antifreeze that blew out of the radiator cap.I don't know what pressure those caps are meant to release pressure but I didn't think 210 would of done that so I did a compression test which you know the results of. I also put compressed air into cylinder one, and and it bubbled out of the coolant overflow reservoir, and also came out of cylinder two when the spark plug was out.I could not find any antifreeze in the oil whatsoever.The antifreeze level also did not go down during that 30 minute drive. so I figured the exhaust pressurized the coolant System and made the cap blow.The oil pressure look good all the way home being at 40, but once I got home I never turn the vehicle back on.I took the head off and the valve springs look good and tight, no visual cracks in the head.there was a Gap in the head gasket between one and two. There was also black residue on top of the cylinder two? Sorry it's so long just want you to have the info!I ordered a new head from Coldwater today with valve train! So what I really need to know is there any other test that I can do to make sure the bottom end is okay, or Something I should replace before the new head arrives? thank you for your time and knowledge it helps out a lot!!!

r
Old 10-28-2014, 02:49 AM
CF Veteran

I don't think there is any other test besides pulling piston one out. And actually seeing if the rings are gone. Or even measuring the bore but without the right tools its a guessing game. Do the cylinder walls all look the same with a slightly to no bump on the top of the cylinders. More then likely your fine with just replacing the head and gasket. The only way to actually see if the head is cracked is to it Flux or dye pen and that shows everything.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer the original question about the head swap, you will need to use the 97 exhaust manifold and the portion of the exhaust pipe going under the transmission. The later manifold will NOT mate to the earlier head and seal (massive port mismatch).
There was a guy on NAXJA that was making an adapter plate a few years back to allow them to mate ... last I heard he was still making them on a per request basis. If you have precats you need to retain that setup.
You could try double gaskets (97 against head, 00 against manifolds) but it would likely still leak, never heard back from those that tried.