Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 XJ 4x4 engaged noise???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6 HO
Default 96 XJ 4x4 engaged noise???????

Names Nate. I have a 96 XJ w/ a 4.5in rough country lift and 31's. Lift kit incl(springs,4shocks,new leaf packs,sway bar end links,transfer case drop spacers and hardware) Before lift noise was scarcley present. Whenever in 4wheel(any range) while climbing or punching the throttle i get a loud clunking,popping from under the driver seat area. Replaced front axle recently(damaged while wheelin)and did not notice any abnormal wear or damaged on any components of te front axle assembly(gears came with assembly,everything else was swapped) Also front and rear drive shaft u-joints have all been replaced,and front drive shaft splines(going into axle)appeared normal. Did not remove portion of drive shaft going into transfer case. Is anyone out there familar with this situation????? Not quite sure what a slip yoke eliminator does but is it a possible fix???? Also i have replaced the oil pressure sender(single wire) thats on the oil filter adapter but for some reason its always leaking out of the back side of the connector(not where it threads in) whats up with that??????? Thanks alot to all of you that may have some helpful input!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by ndkscorpio
Names Nate. I have a 96 XJ w/ a 4.5in rough country lift and 31's. Lift kit incl(springs,4shocks,new leaf packs,sway bar end links,transfer case drop spacers and hardware) Before lift noise was scarcley present. Whenever in 4wheel(any range) while climbing or punching the throttle i get a loud clunking,popping from under the driver seat area. Replaced front axle recently(damaged while wheelin)and did not notice any abnormal wear or damaged on any components of te front axle assembly(gears came with assembly,everything else was swapped) Also front and rear drive shaft u-joints have all been replaced,and front drive shaft splines(going into axle)appeared normal. Did not remove portion of drive shaft going into transfer case. Is anyone out there familar with this situation????? Not quite sure what a slip yoke eliminator does but is it a possible fix???? Also i have replaced the oil pressure sender(single wire) thats on the oil filter adapter but for some reason its always leaking out of the back side of the connector(not where it threads in) whats up with that??????? Thanks alot to all of you that may have some helpful input!!!!!!!!
Sounds like its binding is it that the gears are 4.10 in one and 3.55 in another causing the part time 231 to bind, also try geting a new unit and see it it helps your leak, but most of all!!! Welcome the the fourm bud!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeepsurfer1

Sounds like its binding is it that the gears are 4.10 in one and 3.55 in another causing the part time 231 to bind, also try geting a new unit and see it it helps your leak, but most of all!!! Welcome the the fourm bud!!!
Haha, no. It's not that. There would be catastrophic issues immediately upon engagement of 4wd with two different ratios. Things associated with a clunk or pop are generally driveshaft or u joint related. Other parts might be ball joints, or worn out bushings or end links on steering/suspension components (trac bar, control arms..)
Dunno about leaky sensor.
A SYE (slip yoke elim.) is a component of the rear driveshaft assembly. It replaces your stock fixed yoke and driveshaft with a yoke that slides (slips) in and out of TC and a double cardon shaft. It allows for better DS angles with a bigger lift.

Last edited by VTJeep; 11-10-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

Another thing that can clunk is the front shock eye holes. I tried tracking down a clunk in my front end for the longest time and that's what it ended up being. Still need to get bar pin eliminators
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by VTJeep

Haha, no. It's not that. There would be catastrophic issues immediately upon engagement of 4wd with two different ratios. Things associated with a clunk or pop are generally driveshaft or u joint related. Other parts might be ball joints, or worn out bushings or end links on steering/suspension components (trac bar, control arms..)
Dunno about leaky sensor.
A SYE (slip yoke elim.) is a component of the rear driveshaft assembly. It replaces your stock fixed yoke and driveshaft with a yoke that slides (slips) in and out of TC and a double cardon shaft. It allows for better DS angles with a bigger lift.
Well said, but if its a clunk could we think the chain could be so streached to miss a cog? Again I'm just tossing darts at the wall...
Old 11-11-2012, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Thanks man..
Doubtful as well. Not impossible, though. I'd say check/grease the front drive shaft. There's a quick, easy way to check wheel joints:
-jack up one wheel
-hold on to u joint as you rock the tire back and forth. You only need to move the tire ~1/2" to know. If there is any play in the joint..
-replace as needed.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I-6 HO
Default Hey guys!!!

Thanks for the welcome and all the helpful hints. Doesnt seem to be anything in steering suspension(feels and sounds like t-case) also the noise was slightly there before the axle swap so i dont think it could be there. It is a pretty loud noise and chain slippage is a def possibility. U-joints have all been replaced and still seem to be in great shape and noise was present before that job too. Is there any tell tale approach to ruling in or out the chain??? Can it be tightened or must be replaced? Oh and two times in the past the noise was even present rolling backwards down a slope after a failed climb, no power to the drivetrain during those incidences! In the mean time i will look into te chain. Thanks to all!!!! JEEP ON!!!!