Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 2 door Cherokee Sport chronic problems

Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6L
Default 92 2 door Cherokee Sport chronic problems

This Jeep went off road without a hitch 3 times, we went on some serious trails, I didn't even know about disconnecting my swaybars or airing down my tires and we were just awesome...maybe it was beginner's luck?
I have had this chronic problem for over a year now where the Jeep will run absolutely fine, then will start sputtering and eventually stalling, at a stop light for example. I messed around with a line coming out of the air filter and it seemed to help, for a while. I noticed that the Jeep will die while I am rock crawling in a vertical position. It will sputter, shake and die. It normally starts right back up without issue, but not anymore! I have had the gas tank replaced, it is less than a year old, I have noticed that the e light will come on when I have well over 7 gallons still left in the tank, so I guess whoever replaced the tank did not reset or replace the sensor as well, I am told that has nothing to do with the Jeep's issues with running and so far that seems to be true. We replaced the spark plug wires, the plugs themselves look awesome and are also fairly knew. We tested the spark plugs as well and they are all firing, but it still sounds like one of the cylinders isn't firing. We did do the spark plug wires in the correct direction, the distributor is also fairly knew and the contacts look good. We replaced the oil filter last night and all seemed well, she started up with ease and then would run for 2-3 minutes and die, sometimes it would be dramatic with sputtering and changing rpms, sometimes it would just die quietly and it wouldn't restart for a good 30 minutes, if at all. We then went into the fuse box and messed around with the fuses and relays, apparently the Auto shutdown or ABS can be problematic, we took them out and put them back in and she started up like a champ, clean start-and ran for 3-4 minutes and subsequently died, quietly. I am now onto switching out the crankshaft sensor, seeing what happens, then possibly the MAP sensor, seeing what happens...I also got new relays for the ABS/auto shutdown. It will turn on with ether but it isn't a smooth or fast process for it to start running, it also knocks a lot.

Anyone have any ideas? Does it sound like a computer issue? We checked the fuel lines, the fuel was actually clean until we tested it by running some through the old fuel filter and it came out gross-but obviously with a new filter, some fuel cleaner, and a good amount of time as well as siphoning out some gas from the bottom of the tank to see what it looked like-also clear, clearly that aspect of the fuel isn't the problem.

I am prepared to replace the computer, if what we do tonight does not do anything.