Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8.25 ZJ Rear Disk Conversion Emergency Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 Powertech
Default 8.25 ZJ Rear Disk Conversion Emergency Brake Pads

For the emergency brake pads/parking brake pads the backing plates came off a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I replace the emergency brake/parking brake are the pads for the XJ or the ZJ? Part number for Advanced Auto/Autozone would be preferd also, is there a kit for the emergency brake/parking brake to replace the springs or does that come with the pads?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM

The whole thing comes from a ZJ. Backing plate, e-brake pads, springs, cables, calipers, etc. Sorry I don't have the part #'s, but everything should come off of a ZJ.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The E-brake assembly is attached to the backing plate. The rotor acts like the drum. Usually all the springs and little parts come as a package. Then you have to buy the e-brake pads.

I did this swap but havnt hooked up the E-brake cables yet. I am going to try and see how the GC ones work but I think the passanger side is going to be to short. I will probably take my old E-brae cables (short one) and use a couple cable clamps and clamp it to the ZJ ebrake cable. I gotta figure something out, inspection time is up.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mikeXJ1020
The E-brake assembly is attached to the backing plate. The rotor acts like the drum. Usually all the springs and little parts come as a package. Then you have to buy the e-brake pads.

I did this swap but haven't hooked up the E-brake cables yet. I am going to try and see how the GC ones work but I think the passenger side is going to be to short. I will probably take my old E-brae cables (short one) and use a couple cable clamps and clamp it to the ZJ ebrake cable. I gotta figure something out, inspection time is up.
OK thanks. I have a new parking brake cables from Crown Automotive so that is set, all I have left to do is buy the Ebrake pads and springs and that's it. So Ebrake pads GC, ok to Advanced Auto to get the last of my parts when I get paid.
Attached Thumbnails 8.25 ZJ Rear Disk Conversion Emergency Brake Pads-101_0042.jpg   8.25 ZJ Rear Disk Conversion Emergency Brake Pads-101_0031.jpg  
Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by saxmanclay
The whole thing comes from a ZJ. Backing plate, e-brake pads, springs, cables, calipers, etc. Sorry I don't have the part #'s, but everything should come off of a ZJ.
Thanks
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 00xjJeff
OK thanks. I have a new parking brake cables from Crown Automotive so that is set, all I have left to do is buy the Ebrake pads and springs and that's it. So Ebrake pads GC, ok to Advanced Auto to get the last of my parts when I get paid.
Are the E-brake cables going to be long enough? Or are they OEM for Grand Cherokees? Is that the only part number for them in the picture?

Thanks, not trying to hijack but I need this too.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Just take the factory XJ cable, wrap it around the parking brake lever and clamp it on itself making a loop. No need to buy brand new parts for this.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mikeXJ1020
Are the E-brake cables going to be long enough? Or are they OEM for Grand Cherokees? Is that the only part number for them in the picture?

Thanks, not trying to hijack but I need this too.
Yes that is is the part number they are actually for a 2003 Jeep Liberty and the cables are 3 inches longer then stock. What MWildman said I looked online and alot, of people said the stock XJ parking brake won't bolt up to the ZJ I already bought the new parts so it is to late if it can.