Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8.25 Aussie Locker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 8.25 Aussie Locker Issues

I had an aussie locker installed when I had regeared my axles. This locker has been nothing but headaches for me. During straight line acceleration the locker pops a few times in a row it feels horrible and I cannot imagine its healthy for the locker and the axles. I can understand coming out of a turn and getting on the gas and getting one pop but i get 3-4 pops sometimes which is driving me nuts. I am at a lost of what the issue is. I contacted aussie regarding the issue they told me it could be one of these issues. I have a ax-15 transmission I knew going into this that I was going to notice the locker more so than an auto. I have figured out in a few situations how to avoid less than desirable results and the issues I have are in areas where there should not be any issues for example straight line acceleration.

-Bent Axle Tube. (Highly doubt this since the locker mates up square when I changed the fluids )

-Not Even Tire Diameter (Tires have the same tread and the same tire pressure)

-The clearances when the locker was set up (Locker was set up with 0.140 spacing which I think is the low end of the range it can be.)

-Cross Shaft could be soft? (I did not check this but I have another cross shaft on the way which should be hardened so I will swap it out but I can't imagine in less than 1k miles on the setup that the cross pin if it is soft could be starting to wear prematurely)

Has anyone else had any issues and possibly come up with a conclusion. If swapping the crosspin does not help anything I am on the fence of putting spiders back in. I do not think I am being unreasonable I understand it should pop I just think that the quantity of pops and when they are happening is very unusual and wrong.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Did you test the locker?

Here are instructions from the user manual

TESTING THE LOCKER ASSEMBLY
This section assumes that your new Aussie Locker has been installed and that the complete differential
assembly is now in the vehicle with the tires installed.
1. Put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in 4WD to lock the drive shaft. Tires must be installed
to complete this test.
2. Rotate one of the tires until it stops against the locked drive shaft. Hold it in position and maintain
moderate pressure.
3. Rotate the other tire in the opposite direction. It should unlock and spin, with the locker clicking as the
tire rotates. Note that this sound will be less with the cover on and gear oil inside.
4. Rotate the first tire in the opposite direction until it stops, and again maintain pressure.
5. Rotate the second tire in the opposite direction from the first time. It should again unlock and spin with
the clicking sound.
6. Switch tires. Rotate and hold the second tire, and spin the first one in the opposite direction. Again switch
directions. Both tires should rotate in both directions and the locker should click as they are doing so.
7. If your installation passes this “spin” test, you are ready to finish up.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by razor02097
Did you test the locker?

Here are instructions from the user manual

TESTING THE LOCKER ASSEMBLY
This section assumes that your new Aussie Locker has been installed and that the complete differential
assembly is now in the vehicle with the tires installed.
1. Put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in 4WD to lock the drive shaft. Tires must be installed
to complete this test.
2. Rotate one of the tires until it stops against the locked drive shaft. Hold it in position and maintain
moderate pressure.
3. Rotate the other tire in the opposite direction. It should unlock and spin, with the locker clicking as the
tire rotates. Note that this sound will be less with the cover on and gear oil inside.
4. Rotate the first tire in the opposite direction until it stops, and again maintain pressure.
5. Rotate the second tire in the opposite direction from the first time. It should again unlock and spin with
the clicking sound.
6. Switch tires. Rotate and hold the second tire, and spin the first one in the opposite direction. Again switch
directions. Both tires should rotate in both directions and the locker should click as they are doing so.
7. If your installation passes this “spin” test, you are ready to finish up.
I will do this when I get home. I have faith when it was installed it was tested but I will make sure. These is no doubt it locks when on the gas and unlocks in turns while coasting. I will still double check. Thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

I do know this... the powertrax locker I have specifically said to make sure you use a hardened shaft.... didn't say why but since it came with one I didn't give it a second thought.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by razor02097
I do know this... the powertrax locker I have specifically said to make sure you use a hardened shaft.... didn't say why but since it came with one I didn't give it a second thought.
The person who installed the gears and locker said he thinks the shaft was not hardened when he tested it and that I should swap out the cross pin with a hardened one. I know my spartan up front came with the cross pin. I won't know till I pull the cover this time.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991, 1999, 2001
Default 8.25 locker

Sounds like you and I are having the same problems. I've had a Aussie up front for 2 years now in my Dana 30....works great! i loved it so much, I had to get one for the 8.25 (29 spline). The front one would click and pop when it was supposed to, annoying yes, but I never worried about it. When i got the rear locker i also lifted the jeep higher, added 35's and geared it down to 4.88's. I had a reputable shop install the gears and locker, and everything was new and within spec.

Went wheeling with it at Rock's and Valley's in Northern Michigan, loved it...took it to Silver Lake Sand Dunes, loved it. Just got back from Harlan KY and it's toast. Day 1 down there I had a loud pop, on flat ground not doing anything extreme. I was running in low range 4x4 because of the hills and terrain, with the 4.88's it helps a lot. after the loud pop, i didn't notice anything else that worried me, and it was down hill back to camp, so less stress on the locker. Day 2 heading up the mountain out of Putney it was pop, pop, pop....I was getting pissed and just ran it, and it got worse as the day went on. driving in reverse the locker worked great

Took it apart last night, check everything, it's still within spec but the spin test would work ,then grab and pop...pulled the locker out and noticed the the teeth rounded on one side... calling Aussie today and we'll see what they say...i'll keep you posted.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:01 PM

Year: 99

Any update? I am considering getting the Aussie for my 8.25 and want to make the best possible decision.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

sounds like the clearances were off and the cross pin wasnt forcing the gears together enough to keep them engaged to each other
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

auto lockers in the rear suck (my opinion)

they all seem to be clunky etc. I did not like the one I had in a zj, I greatly perfer full case spools, welded, or even limited slip (i understand a locker is better than limited slip offroad)

just in my personal experiences with all of the above, it would come last.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

my no-slip doesnt clunk at all, same goes for everyone else who has one installed properly.

you really think that an auto-locker is unfriendly but prefer a spool or welded? seems strange. I can understand feeling that way and preferring selectable lockers or LS
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread...

Im having the exact same issues with my c8.25 aussie as of this weekend...Ive had it in there for about a year now with the occasional expected clunk, but today driving home from the trail its clunking like crazy on flat roads...mostly under load on hills etc.

Going to pull it apart and check the pins/springs etc...

Did you guys find anything out with your issues, or what fixed it?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Seasoned Member

If you did not break a pin then it is the locker. I went through two of them then got my money refunded. I then got a spartan for the 8.25 and have not had an issue at all turning 35s.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Demolition_x
If you did not break a pin then it is the locker. I went through two of them then got my money refunded. I then got a spartan for the 8.25 and have not had an issue at all turning 35s.
Hmm ok, hoping to tear into it this weekend and see if I can find an obvious issue. I am also running 35's.
What went on the two you broke?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

I had a pin break on mine but that was due to the locker beginning to fail. Both of mi e failed due to the teeth of the locker not engaging fully thus rounding the teeth and not giving them positive engagement. Aussie told me that the reason this occurred was due to my carrier which i kinda think was bs since i have a similar style locker working flawlessly for a few thousand miles.

Don't get me wrong i know several people who run the Aussies with zero problems.

They have great customer support. I actually dealt with the president of the company. Wish it would have worked out but the spartan has worked flawlessly for a few thousand miles now.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by dubbleJ's
Hmm ok, hoping to tear into it this weekend and see if I can find an obvious issue. I am also running 35's.
What went on the two you broke?

Measure the gap between cam gears also.

Quick Reply: 8.25 Aussie Locker Issues