Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

703 Injectors Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question 703 Injectors Installation

So I have my injectors ready to go in, but I was wondering two things.

Do I reuse the O-rings on my current injectors for these? I had a buddy get me a set from the junk yard and soaked them, but I'm wondering if I need anything else.

Also, I saw in a tutorial thread, that you have to be careful of the dirt/grime falling into the injector slot, and that's is pretty bad if it happens.. Is there a way to avoid that? Can I thoroughly clean the area before swapping or anything?

Cheers
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Get new O rings. Can never be too careful with them. It is gasoline we're talking here. Any risk of going up in flames is bad.

As far as dirt falling in the holes... Take out the old injectors and then get to cleaning. What works is using a flathead screw driver and slowly and carefully scraping crap out of the edges of the holes.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 PM

Year: 1994

if you have a extra hour take your intake manifold off, you would not believe the char and gunk built up and give it a good scrubbing, and also clean injector seats, if your having issues installing new injectors/o rings dab just a tiny bit of motor oil on the o rings prior to install.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

I used throttle body cleaner and dipped q tips in it and cleaned the injector seats. The throttle body cleaner break down the grime and the q tips soaked them up.

You probably would use up like 100 of them so buy a box of it, get good quality brand not cheap ones cause there isn't enough cotton on tips.

Like 4 bucks
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Get new O rings. Can never be too careful with them. It is gasoline we're talking here. Any risk of going up in flames is bad.

As far as dirt falling in the holes... Take out the old injectors and then get to cleaning. What works is using a flathead screw driver and slowly and carefully scraping crap out of the edges of the holes.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. What's the process if some falls in the hole? How bad is it?

Originally Posted by Klroach92
if you have a extra hour take your intake manifold off, you would not believe the char and gunk built up and give it a good scrubbing, and also clean injector seats, if your having issues installing new injectors/o rings dab just a tiny bit of motor oil on the o rings prior to install.
I have to replace my exhaust manifold. Think I should wait to do the injectors until then?

Originally Posted by XJwonders
I used throttle body cleaner and dipped q tips in it and cleaned the injector seats. The throttle body cleaner break down the grime and the q tips soaked them up.

You probably would use up like 100 of them so buy a box of it, get good quality brand not cheap ones cause there isn't enough cotton on tips.

Like 4 bucks
Do this while the injectors are still seated?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
I have to replace my exhaust manifold. Think I should wait to do the injectors until then?
If you're going to be doing your manifold, then definitely do the injectors at the same time. You'll be able to scrub the crap out of the intake manifold and injector seats with not a worry in the world because you'll have it off the motor. That's what I'd do
Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
If you're going to be doing your manifold, then definitely do the injectors at the same time. You'll be able to scrub the crap out of the intake manifold and injector seats with not a worry in the world because you'll have it off the motor. That's what I'd do
Alright then. This sounds like the best route, not to mention it'd make it easier, so.

Thanks guys
Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Yeah best way is wait until u get intake off the motor. If u don't have 99+ intake, it is also good time to upgrade while its off
Old 07-02-2013, 05:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
So I have my injectors ready to go in, but I was wondering two things.

Do I reuse the O-rings on my current injectors for these? I had a buddy get me a set from the junk yard and soaked them, but I'm wondering if I need anything else.

Also, I saw in a tutorial thread, that you have to be careful of the dirt/grime falling into the injector slot, and that's is pretty bad if it happens.. Is there a way to avoid that? Can I thoroughly clean the area before swapping or anything?

Cheers
Clean engine b4 install use water pressure from hose to clean around injectors .start engine drive around until dry .Use new o rings with slight amount of lube on rings install injectors . Start engine make sure all works as should .Why open another thread ...Removed intake to install injectors now wont start ....jm2cw