Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speakers??

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 6 speakers??

Wondering if anyone's put an extra two speakers in their jeep? Like would any be able to fit in the rear two doors? Or any other places?
I have the front doors, and sound bar in my 99.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you want more?
Upgrade the HU, get new fronts and amp them. If you must have the rears, unhook the tweeters.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

I put two more in my rear hatch. The hatch already had the speaker slot looking things made into it so I just removed it and ran speaker wire from the sound bar. Dont think it really made much of a difference since Im pulling power from the sound bar but their there anyway!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

I did upgrade the HU and got new speakers. But my bro is sort of parting out his old Mazda. And gave me the four 6.5 jbl's out of it. I put two in the rear as I had already purchased a couple for the front.
So I have two 6.5's left over.

So I'm wondering if there is any other places to fit speakers/ has anyone installed 2 in addition to the 4 already in there.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ThunderThighs
I did upgrade the HU and got new speakers. But my bro is sort of parting out his old Mazda. And gave me the four 6.5 jbl's out of it. I put two in the rear as I had already purchased a couple for the front.
So I have two 6.5's left over.

So I'm wondering if there is any other places to fit speakers/ has anyone installed 2 in addition to the 4 already in there.
Sell them and buy an amp.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jchat
I put two more in my rear hatch. The hatch already had the speaker slot looking things made into it so I just removed it and ran speaker wire from the sound bar. Dont think it really made much of a difference since Im pulling power from the sound bar but their there anyway!
That's what I'm thinking, either two in the hatch or two in the rear doors.. If they'll fit.
My bro also gave me his old amp and subwoofer, so I think I can just run the speakers off the amp, so no need to splice wires from the soundbar.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mr white

Sell them and buy an amp.
Lol, are you able I give advice on what I'm asking?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Lol, are you able I give advice on what I'm asking?
I see no point to adding two extra speakers. I'm not entirely sure what you're going for. If you're going for sound quality, you'll look into what I'm saying. If you're going for "look guise! I got 6 speakers for mad tunes" I'm sure you'll be able to find room for them somewhere.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

I see no point to adding two extra speakers. I'm not entirely sure what you're going for. If you're going for sound quality, you'll look into what I'm saying. If you're going for "look guise! I got 6 speakers for mad tunes" I'm sure you'll be able to find room for them somewhere.
Uh no. Like I said, I have two extra good quality speakers from my brother. He bought a brand new bmw and has no need to put his old sound system in it. I would hate to just have them go to waste, and I don't feel like dealing with idiots on kijiji to get tops like what, $20 for the pair?

And again, I have a sub, and an amp that he also gave me.

Like wtf man? Why the hell are you making so many assumptions? Like seriously? Instead of answering the question if it has been done, or can be done, you jumped to the conclusion that I had an old HU and speakers. Had no amp, or subwoofer, and now actually being insulting towards me. I just wanted to know if anyone did it. Everything under the sun is modded on xj's, is it so far fetched that a couple extra speakers can be added to a vehicle?

What the hell is wrong with you?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 AM
CF Veteran

Uh no. Like I said, I have two extra good quality speakers from my brother. He bought a brand new bmw and has no need to put his old sound system in it. I would hate to just have them go to waste, and I don't feel like dealing with idiots on kijiji to get tops like what, $20 for the pair?

And again, I have a sub, and an amp that he also gave me.

Like wtf man? Why the hell are you making so many assumptions? Like seriously? Instead of answering the question if it has been done, or can be done, you jumped to the conclusion that I had an old HU and speakers. Had no amp, or subwoofer, and now actually being insulting towards me. I just wanted to know if anyone did it. Everything under the sun is modded on xj's, is it so far fetched that a couple extra speakers can be added to a vehicle?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Generally, most people automatically look into speakers when they are looking to improve their sound. The HU is the most important part and is often overlooked. Also most people think that adding more speakers will help their sound quality, which simply is not the case. Which is why I asked you WHY you want more and suggested upgrading the HU and front speakers. You stated you already did this and that's when I recommended amping them and disconnecting the tweeters in the back so you have "rear fill" rather than the highs coming from behind you. Adding two extra speakers will just cut the power to each of them (depending on how you wire them, if you wire them in parallel it will cut the load in half and potentially fry your HU outputs) in half, effectively making them quieter. Now because they are quieter you will be inclined to turn them up louder, possibly loud enough to drive the sub-par amp in your HU (I'm not bashing your HU here, ALL hus have poor amps) into clipping which will burn things up in a hurry. What I'm really getting at is that, assuming you are looking for better sound, adding two extra speakers will not do what you are looking to do and will be a wasted effort.
I wasn't trying to insult you. You just wouldn't answer my original question of why.
Good luck with your project, regardless of what route you choose.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 AM

Engine: 2.5

Well I would not suggest splicing 4 speakers off power for 2. Now if you are planning on running a four channel amp to power 4 speakers than that's cool. I'd say go to a junk yard and get a second sound bar, I run one slightly behind the front seats and that's it, works great. So pair in the doors amplified, non amplified sound bar overhead in the passenger area, amplified rear sound bar and then sub in the rear firing towards glass. A decent sub that moves air will cause the rear hatch speakers to slightly distort, and they sound strange outside the vehicle, also the mounting depth is pretty shallow as well. I say not to amplify the speakers overhead in the passenger area because they are close to the ears and will drowned out the other speakers, further away need more power to develop a "engulfed sound".

And before anyone says it, yeah I worked at a sound shop, built custom enclosures and other custom crap people spent way too much money on for poor sound.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 PM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6

does anyone know the size of the tweeter under the dash? on a 96 xj
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I fit some 3.5" speakers under there... It was not easy, and fabbing a mount was...fun.. to say the least. It was more work than it was worth, but eh!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:06 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

And as well for OP, these look sort of interesting... Just an option
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C301...ck.html?tp=130
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Generally, most people automatically look into speakers when they are looking to improve their sound. The HU is the most important part and is often overlooked. Also most people think that adding more speakers will help their sound quality, which simply is not the case. Which is why I asked you WHY you want more and suggested upgrading the HU and front speakers. You stated you already did this and that's when I recommended amping them and disconnecting the tweeters in the back so you have "rear fill" rather than the highs coming from behind you. Adding two extra speakers will just cut the power to each of them (depending on how you wire them, if you wire them in parallel it will cut the load in half and potentially fry your HU outputs) in half, effectively making them quieter. Now because they are quieter you will be inclined to turn them up louder, possibly loud enough to drive the sub-par amp in your HU (I'm not bashing your HU here, ALL hus have poor amps) into clipping which will burn things up in a hurry. What I'm really getting at is that, assuming you are looking for better sound, adding two extra speakers will not do what you are looking to do and will be a wasted effort.
I wasn't trying to insult you. You just wouldn't answer my original question of why.
Good luck with your project, regardless of what route you choose.
^^^he speaks the truth. If you add the 2 extra speakers then you run the risk of taking away any "concert" sound the vehicle has. If you want to add the 2 additional speakers then go ahead. YOU, the driver will not be affected unless it is in a negative fashion. You may give your passengers louder music but ruin your own. Make sure you have a solid front set-up then jump in the back and see if you need better sound in the back. If the answer to that is yes, then add the speakers but don't let them over power the fronts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 speakers??