Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50mph shaking????

Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default 50mph shaking????

First of all I just want to thank everyone for giving advise on all of my other short threads on here. But as on right now my 99 Cherokee still shakes at 50mph, this is not death wobble but a mild shaking 90% of the time when im around 48-52mph. It gets less noticeable above 52mph but still know its there, and smooth as can be under 48mph. It all started after I installed a 2" lift and new steel rims with like new but used 235/75/15cooper tires, and a 1" transfer case drop.
Thing I have done....
New moog track bar helped some and defiantly lessened the shaking,
New upper control arm bushings- no change.
New stock stabilizer shock- no change.
Skyjacker track bar relocation bracket- made passenger side tire stick way out of wheel well and didn't help the shaking.
An alignment at a chain store ( NTB) did need some toe adjustment but didn't help the shaking.
Made shims ( 1/8" and 1/4" ) to adjust the caster angle ( around 5* without shims )- no change
Spent countless hours under the front end looking for anything loose but cant see anything.
Had the tires balanced when they where installed on the rims and once again during the alignment, also rotated them twice so far- no change. Was going to have them road forced balanced but cant find a place to do it around me.
Spent hours on line searching forums for clues- nothing seams to help.

The only thing I have in mind to try is to barrow a set of rims and tire to try since the jeep had the rims and tires and lift installed at the same time. Also to try and find a good off road shop nearby to check it out, most around me just sell parts but don't do any installing.

Hopefully someone out there in jeep forum land has an idea for me!!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Rotate tires see if shacking moves to different point on xj.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 PM

I have tried that but it stays in the front end. Its similar to the infamous death wobble and feels about the same but not as intense. It stops as soon as I slow down or speed up. Thanks Thou.

Originally Posted by freegdr
Rotate tires see if shacking moves to different point on xj.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Check wheel barrings and ball joints.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

put old tires and test..
Old 07-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have the exact same issue (48-51mph). Most people said it's the tires (I got used ones too), or its something with the steering. My steering components seem fine, but I'm gonna get a tie rod upgrade and a double shear track bar. I dropped my tcase an additional 0.25" it helped a lot but still there.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.6L stroker

Originally Posted by Dcoy
First of all I just want to thank everyone for giving advise on all of my other short threads on here. But as on right now my 99 Cherokee still shakes at 50mph, this is not death wobble but a mild shaking 90% of the time when im around 48-52mph. It gets less noticeable above 52mph but still know its there, and smooth as can be under 48mph. It all started after I installed a 2" lift and new steel rims with like new but used 235/75/15cooper tires, and a 1" transfer case drop.
Thing I have done....
New moog track bar helped some and defiantly lessened the shaking,
New upper control arm bushings- no change.
New stock stabilizer shock- no change.
Skyjacker track bar relocation bracket- made passenger side tire stick way out of wheel well and didn't help the shaking.
An alignment at a chain store ( NTB) did need some toe adjustment but didn't help the shaking.
Made shims ( 1/8" and 1/4" ) to adjust the caster angle ( around 5* without shims )- no change
Spent countless hours under the front end looking for anything loose but cant see anything.
Had the tires balanced when they where installed on the rims and once again during the alignment, also rotated them twice so far- no change. Was going to have them road forced balanced but cant find a place to do it around me.
Spent hours on line searching forums for clues- nothing seams to help.

The only thing I have in mind to try is to barrow a set of rims and tire to try since the jeep had the rims and tires and lift installed at the same time. Also to try and find a good off road shop nearby to check it out, most around me just sell parts but don't do any installing.

Hopefully someone out there in jeep forum land has an idea for me!!!!
So you didn't buy an adjustable track bar just a skycrapper bracket? I will assume it was a track bar drop bracket for much taller xjs...which you shouldn't need at 2" of lift. have you inspected wheel bearings, ball joints, axle u joints, drive shaft balance & u joints? It takes 5 minutes and doesn't cost anything to remove the front shaft....is the tread of your used tires even? Or does it appear slanted? Do you have a SYE? you shouldn't have too much of a hassle getting alignment at 2" of lift.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Yes I got a skycrapper braket off a buddy to try, was for 2"-4" of lift but wasn't needed. I have inspected everything but havent pulled the front driveshaft, thought I would feel a shaking all the time if a driveshaft u joint was bad but hey it doesn't cost anything so ill check it out tomorrow. tread was even but got a little choppy after driving a few hundred miles, I had them rotated during the alignment and they seam fine now. No sye either.

Originally Posted by evan00xj
So you didn't buy an adjustable track bar just a skycrapper bracket? I will assume it was a track bar drop bracket for much taller xjs...which you shouldn't need at 2" of lift. have you inspected wheel bearings, ball joints, axle u joints, drive shaft balance & u joints? It takes 5 minutes and doesn't cost anything to remove the front shaft....is the tread of your used tires even? Or does it appear slanted? Do you have a SYE? you shouldn't have too much of a hassle getting alignment at 2" of lift.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM

let me know what you figure out, thanks

Originally Posted by dzeinert
I have the exact same issue (48-51mph). Most people said it's the tires (I got used ones too), or its something with the steering. My steering components seem fine, but I'm gonna get a tie rod upgrade and a double shear track bar. I dropped my tcase an additional 0.25" it helped a lot but still there.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Still trying to arrange the borrowing of a friends rims and tires, should be done before this weekend.... ill post the results.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I got a slight improvement today. I pulled off most of the steering components (track bar, tie rods, lca, u can, etc) seemed to me like the drives side tie rod end was a bit loose. Buttoned everything back up and steering got a lot tighter and the shaking got a lot better. It's still there, but it's has been a good improvement.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Engine: 4.0L Hi

Check wheel bearings/hubs too! That's a typical cause of the symptoms you seem to be listing.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Ok , so this is just what went down. I found a guy at work who had an old stock set of rims and tires so I put them on my Cherokee. I drove around at 50mph and it rode smooth as can be, but now I found that it has the crazy clench your ***hole wobble when I hit 60 for the first time. real odd part was that I kept testing it from 50 to 60 mph and the second time I hit 60 it wobbled but not as bad as the first, then the third time wasn't as bad as the second or first time..... it never did shake or wobble as it did with the new rims and tires ( which are 15x8 steel, 3.75 backspacing from summit, and 235/75/15 cooper at3's ) at the 48-52 mph range? So what would cause the wobble to show up at a different speed?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Different diameter tires will cause axle components to be moving at different speeds. Weight difference can cause this variance as well. Either or both could have caused your wobble at different speed and intensities.

Another thing you may want to check is your axle joints (u-joint that connect axle to hub). If they are getting worn, it can cause the wobble as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM

they all seam pretty tite, the set of tires I just tried was 225/75/15, my newer ones are just 235's but yes they are different so that is a possibility. thanks

Originally Posted by glass3222
Different diameter tires will cause axle components to be moving at different speeds. Weight difference can cause this variance as well. Either or both could have caused your wobble at different speed and intensities.

Another thing you may want to check is your axle joints (u-joint that connect axle to hub). If they are getting worn, it can cause the wobble as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 50mph shaking????