Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 HO into 88 xj upgrade suggestions and advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 4.0 HO into 88 xj upgrade suggestions and advice

Hi there. I'm looking to upgrade my engine performance and was looking into doing a stroker. I have an 88 xj 4.0 6l all stock with d30 and d35 with 3 bb up front and 3.5 full leafs in back (not sure how pertinent that is). I know the popular options include turbos, v8 swaps, And strokes. Doing a stroker seemed to make the most sense but I'm new to the technical engine points of the jeep. If I were looking to do a stroker, does anyone have any articles or threads stored away about the very basics of how to do a stroker and the mechanics behind it? I've tried the search forum but I didn't understand all of what I read lol. I'm a pretty quick learner so I figured I might as well learn the engine next.

My second question is I found two engines for sale, they are both 6l HO. One runs and is 225 and the other has a long block rebuildable core (what exactly does this mean?) for 125. Are any of these a good deal for the purpose of building a stroker and which one should I choose? How big of a pain is it to transplant it to the 88? I'm on a student budget so I'm looking to keep a decent budget, how much extra stuff will I need to get? I've read various opinions.

Thanks ahead for the help!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

your just using the block so if you want to keep the renix system its pretty much a direct swap. you will want a adj fuel pressure reg, bigger injectors and adj map sensor module.

Here I have pretty much a whole stroker planned out and a 93 block and head waiting.

only money stops me...

Heres my thread, its got the guide links and lots of info. mind you I'm spending over a grand in performance parts as well, but hell if your gonna take it all apart to make the stroker the aftermarket parts are not bad priced might as well go big or go home.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/pl...at-cam-123572/

oh and on which engine to get, if the rebuildable block comes with the head id get that since you have to tear it down anyway and you should have the head rebuilt (valve guides seats machined maybe ported)

the list can go on...

oh and welcome, this place is great!

Last edited by darknezz; 01-08-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

what YEAR are the doner engines out of? This will make a huge difference in which one you use.

A "long block" is essentially a complete engine, it just doesn't include any accessories (like power steering, intake, exhaust, alternator, etc etc) - it's just the block and the cylinder head. Depending on what year it is that may be all you need for your intended purpose.

The fact that you have a renix is going to complicate things due to differences in sensors, head porting, and other items, but I'll explain more about that once I know what year engines you're looking at....all 4.0L engines are not the same.

These should get you started in reading about stokers and different options for buildup:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/strokers-15710/
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/selection.html
http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

Last edited by dukie564; 01-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

HO into Renix is easy. I'm doing an HO stroker into a Renix right now. Here's something to read in the meantime.

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap
This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.
The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.
Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1998 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.
You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.
The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16" square drive or a modified 3/8" drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.
As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 07/24/2012

Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by darknezz
your just using the block so if you want to keep the renix system its pretty much a direct swap. you will want a adj fuel pressure reg, bigger injectors and adj map sensor module.
Here I have pretty much a whole stroker planned out and a 93 block and head waiting.
only money stops me...
Heres my thread, its got the guide links and lots of info. mind you I'm spending over a grand in performance parts as well, but hell if your gonna take it all apart to make the stroker the aftermarket parts are not bad priced might as well go big or go home.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/pl...at-cam-123572/
the list can go on...

oh and welcome, this place is great!
youve got a ton of info in this thread, this stuff is great thanks I have a feeling i will be doing quite a bit of reading in the meantime!

Originally Posted by dukie564
what YEAR are the doner engines out of? This will make a huge difference in which one you use.

A "long block" is essentially a complete engine, it just doesn't include any accessories (like power steering, intake, exhaust, alternator, etc etc) - it's just the block and the cylinder head. Depending on what year it is that may be all you need for your intended purpose.

The fact that you have a renix is going to complicate things due to differences in sensors, head porting, and other items, but I'll explain more about that once I know what year engines you're looking at....all 4.0L engines are not the same.
These should get you started in reading about stokers and different options for buildup:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/strokers-15710/
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/selection.html
http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
Thanks for those links ill be reading them. There are 2 91-95 motors with unknown miles and a couple of oil leaks for 200 a piece. Then there is a 91-95 and a 97 that both need a rebuild for 100 bucks a piece (good deal?) I figure that i might as well just rebuild it because thats basically the outcome of the new motor I would presume.. anything much appreciated.

Originally Posted by cruiser54
HO into Renix is easy. I'm doing an HO stroker into a Renix right now. Here's something to read in the meantime.

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap
This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.

Revised 07/24/2012

thanks yall giving me hope that this isnt impossible lol. some of this seems chinese but Im sure as I read all this stuff it will make more sense!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 AM

Not impossible at all. I'm on my 4th one now.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

[QUOTE=PsychoSMurf;2235704]There are 2 91-95 motors with unknown miles and a couple of oil leaks for 200 a piece. Then there is a 91-95 and a 97 that both need a rebuild for 100 bucks a piece (good deal?) I figure that i might as well just rebuild it because thats basically the outcome of the new motor I would presume.. anything much appreciated.

go for the cheap 91-95 block. You're rebuilding the engine - as long as there is no physical damage to the block/head and other components since you're going to replacing most of it anyways during the build, as well as most (or all) of the bearings and seals.

You'll need to adapt your exhaust to the HO block and use your renix sensors and computer. Unfortunately, to maximize the power return from the swap and stroker build, you'd need to convert to the HO system - which means also swapping the engine harness, PCM, sensors, exhaust, and fuel pump from the donor. Not sure if you're up for that amount of work but thought i'd mention it.

Last edited by dukie564; 01-09-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Ok that seemed to make sense, ill see if any of the other HO components are available. And did you say you could use the renix com puter, or would you use the HO one to match everythi ng else?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by PsychoSMurf
Ok that seemed to make sense, ill see if any of the other HO components are available. And did you say you could use the renix com puter, or would you use the HO one to match everythi ng else?

HO is not magic. It stands for Highly Overrated. I'll put any of my Renix Jeeps against an HO any day.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM

Does it matter if its HO in the end because it will be modified anyway? But there will be some things I need to make the engine work with my current jeep (88 4.0) I'm assuming. Correct me if I'm wrong. The guy is selling it as a long block which would allow me to work on it until its finished then drop it in (again correct me if I'm wrong).

He has the intake,fuel system,alternator, power steering, fan and fan clutch for another 50 or so and an uncut complete harness for another buck and some change. If I were to go ahead with this, do I need all of these components to swap it into mine?

My thought was if I get these things for a decent price I could find one of those amc 258 engines and get as many components from there to keep the cost low and figure out how to do a 4.5 or 4.6 "poor mans stroker".

Any thoughts and insight appreciated.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

all 4.0L blocks are essentially the same. The "H.O." version used different intake/exhaust runners, throttle body, sensors, computer, and wiring to get more power out of the engine.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Does it matter if its HO in the end because it will be modified anyway? But there will be some things I need to make the engine work with my current jeep (88 4.0) I'm assuming. Correct me if I'm wrong. The guy is selling it as a long block which would allow me to work on it until its finished then drop it in (again correct me if I'm wrong).

He has the intake,fuel system,alternator, power steering, fan and fan clutch for another 50 or so and an uncut complete harness for another buck and some change. If I were to go ahead with this, do I need all of these components to swap it into mine?

My thought was if I get these things for a decent price I could find one of those amc 258 engines and get as many components from there to keep the cost low and figure out how to do a 4.5 or 4.6 "poor mans stroker".

Any thoughts and insight appreciated.
Save the $50 and use your REnix stuff. You'll be fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Alright its starting to make sense. So I can take the HO longblock and install it with the components from my 88 (which saves time and labor) which would eliminate the "HO" aspect of the engine, but that would be made up for by stroking the engine..
Is that logical thought?

Anyone use strokedjeep.com? There seemed to be some valuable resources there..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Alright its starting to make sense. So I can take the HO longblock and install it with the components from my 88 (which saves time and labor) which would eliminate the "HO" aspect of the engine, but that would be made up for by stroking the engine..
Is that logical thought?

Anyone use strokedjeep.com? There seemed to be some valuable resources there..
Post #4 is your friend here. You are correct. Remember the definition of HO. Post up if you need help.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Post #4 is your friend here. You are correct. Remember the definition of HO. Post up if you need help.[/QUOTE]

Just reread that and answered a bunch if my questions. Thanks. Looks like I better see about gettin that block and finding some parts.

Quick Reply: 4.0 HO into 88 xj upgrade suggestions and advice