Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3in lift help/question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 3in lift help/question

hi i just put a 3in rc lift on my 96 xj and after i bolted the sway bar up it seems to be hitting my coils.. how do i fix this?

Also if i add 2in spacers wht parts will i need such as lower control arms and what not? if anything?
Are spacers a bad idea? (im on a budget)

any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Just take it off? And are u gonna fet anything for the back?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

If that's your DD keep your sway bar on, its dangerous cuz now there is even more body roll than stock.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by BlakeDGKleavitt
Just take it off? And are u gonna fet anything for the back?
if i take it off im worried i will roll it as for the back i am going to put in the add a leafs that cam with my kit but i havent put them on yet and it looks level so when i put them on i think i will need the spacers in the front
Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by maddmike
if i take it off im worried i will roll it as for the back i am going to put in the add a leafs that cam with my kit but i havent put them on yet and it looks level so when i put them on i think i will need the spacers in the front
No they will set, u need the rear, the front will adjust to the weight and compress. And the front sway bar is a must you can lose the rear though
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

I have the same set up just a 4.5 inch lift with 2 inch spacers and cherokee chief leaf springs(1 extra leaf) however i do not have front or rear sway bars it is fairly stable just get to know how your xj drives without them and then you should be fine. if your concerned check online for some aftermarket sway bars, but they can get kinda expensive

hope that helps
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by maddmike
hi i just put a 3in rc lift on my 96 xj and after i bolted the sway bar up it seems to be hitting my coils.. how do i fix this?

Also if i add 2in spacers wht parts will i need such as lower control arms and what not? if anything?
Are spacers a bad idea? (im on a budget)

any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Mike
As for sway bar links hitting coils, maybe your links are too long? A pic would help. The bar should be as level as possible.

If you add a BB (spacers for front and either a drop shackle or aal for rear) on top of this you'll be at 5". Anytime you go over about 3.5" your looking into steering and driveline adjustments such as...
-control arms
-track bar relocation (or adj. track bar)
-SYE and rear DS swap for front DS.
-axle shims...
This is where it gets pricey...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by coloradoboy
I have the same set up just a 4.5 inch lift with 2 inch spacers and cherokee chief leaf springs(1 extra leaf) however i do not have front or rear sway bars it is fairly stable just get to know how your xj drives without them and then you should be fine. if your concerned check online for some aftermarket sway bars, but they can get kinda expensive

hope that helps
God I hate seeing this type of info... Look man, your not the cause, just the target this time, so try not to be too offended..
It's easy to compensate for different vehicle characteristics such as a taller vehicle, one with softer suspension or a narrower wheel base, just to name a few. The issue isn't that you need to compensate for the body roll, the issue is that in an unforeseen emergency situation, say preforming an evasive steering maneuver, the lack of suspension stability will cause excessive body roll. This will cause increased oversteer. Together, this causes the vehicle to go sideways with a lot of centrifugal force and thanks to all that body roll, the centrifugal force causes to COG to be higher, much higher... All this equals roll over.

This is why they make disconnectable sway bar links!! This exact situation! Yo can go down the highway with safety, then get to the trail, disconnect, flex out off road then reconnect and back to stability...

Not to mention legality. Crash your ride And wait for the authorities to find out your running illegal suspension... God help ya if you hurt someone...

Ok... That was my .02
Old 12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

x2
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Since when is the sway bar a legally required part?!?

I have never run a sway bar on my 87 XJ on just over 3" of lift.

Never once had an issue, not when making 'emergency' maneuvers or anything of the sort.

Never.

By the way, when was the last time your vehicle was inspected by a police officer after a crash? I have yet to see THAT happen. Not to mention 90% of the officers out there have NO flipping clue what a sway bar is.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee

Never once had an issue, not when making 'emergency' maneuvers or anything of the sort.

Never.

By the way, when was the last time your vehicle was inspected by a police officer after a crash? I have yet to see THAT happen. Not to mention 90% of the officers out there have NO flipping clue what a sway bar is.
Well, ya know, I gotta check to see that my local law does actually require a sway bar. Also, I'm not saying that no sway bars makes your jeep undriveable on the road, but the vehicles ability to roll is greatly increased. What happens when ya tell peole its cool to pull the sway bars and they end up doing 80 down the highway. Your tellin me their vehicle will handle the same when they gotta swerve? Idk man...
Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by VTJeep

This is why they make disconnectable sway bar links!! This exact situation! Yo can go down the highway with safety, then get to the trail, disconnect, flex out off road then reconnect and back to stability...
This really doesn't seem like a better option for a vehicle tha has DD/WW duties?

Edit- at least I was trying to contribute.. Not just contradict.. Seems to be a pattern with you.. Why so unhappy dude?

Last edited by VTJeep; 12-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee

Never.

That's most idiotic of you to say that... I go wheeling and personally know many cops as my father is one as well and everyone here knows what a f***in swaybar is. Its common sense, my mom knows what a swaybar is and she doesn't know a thing about cars! I can tell you now, you are incredibly dumb to drive with out one at least up front. Now, if you want to join the many idiots without one and when you try to dodge a deer, and flip from excessive body roll, go for it, I'm saying its irrisponsible and if you flip it like that and your insurance finds out you had no swaybar regardless of what happens its your fault for not having a safe car which means no coverage. Your choice though.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91

Am I wrong in thinking that your axle is too far back? If you have adjustable control arms, my first thought would be to extend them a bit and see where that takes you.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by auburn_XJ

That's most idiotic of you to say that... I go wheeling and personally know many cops as my father is one as well and everyone here knows what a f***in swaybar is. Its common sense, my mom knows what a swaybar is and she doesn't know a thing about cars! I can tell you now, you are incredibly dumb to drive with out one at least up front. Now, if you want to join the many idiots without one and when you try to dodge a deer, and flip from excessive body roll, go for it, I'm saying its irrisponsible and if you flip it like that and your insurance finds out you had no swaybar regardless of what happens its your fault for not having a safe car which means no coverage. Your choice though.
I wouldnt talk to him like that lol. I did once an got banned.

Quick Reply: 3in lift help/question