Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Zone with 2" coils and shackles??? or...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 3" Zone with 2" coils and shackles??? or...

Hey there guys, I know this might have been asked, and I tried to post in the lift questions sticky but it would not load...
So I'm thinking of putting a 3" zone lift with 2" coil spacers and lift shackles because it seems cheaper...I know I will have to buy a t-case drop kit and an adjustable trac bar so its almost as much as just buying the RC 4.5" lift and call it good...question would the coil spacer technique work fine or should I just save for the RC lift....Any pics or advice greatly appreciated...
Old 04-29-2014, 04:03 AM

Name:  DSC_4665_zps99ff2baa.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  116.0 KB
Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Do you have aftermarket or adjustable lower control arms? If not, they are recommended after 3 inches of lift (I'd personally consider doing them at 3 inches, but I'd definitely do them at 4.5 if it was my rig...) I know some 4.5 kits have lcas in them, so you might be better off to just get those. Other option is to buy them separately. I'd price it all out and see if the components you want/need are any cheaper separate than the kit. Then I'd ask myself if the kit would be worth it.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I installed a Zone 3". The shackle angle was terrible, causing the rear to slam pretty hard. I installed relocation brackets with longer shackles to correct for this. The added height forced me to replace the rear shocks and soft brake hose.

You can make your own t-case drop. You'll also need longer sway links in the front.

Lifting is opening a Pandora's box. Be prepared!

This will be informative:

I also suggest you start soaking things with penetrating oil now.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

You would be better off buying all the parts separately than trying to buy a 3" and making it a bigger lift. You'll need a track bar, sye with new driveshaft, shocks, brake lines, and adjustable control arms, plus the other parts you're looking at. You might as well not buy the 3", spacers, and shackles at that point, and buy new 4.5" springs for all 4 corners instead.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.6L Stroker

Well Since I just got done Freshening up my Lift on my XJ, Allow me to give you a helping hand with your idea of getting a better lift.

4.5 Rubicon coils are cheap right now along with new leafs.

Coils Coils
Leafs Leafs

Now since you have a old school tranny/tcase you will probably only need the Rubicon Express Long Slip yoke and it should be good like mine. Mine gets very little vibrations.

Slip Yoke Slip Yoke

And if you want some better control arms, I will have my Control arms off pretty soon since I have my long arm upgrade sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. Uppers are fixed with johnny joints on frame side and lowers are adjustable with johnny joints frame side. Actually yesterday I just got done pulling them apart and getting them greased up and ready to go.

Also a Track bar. I suggest the 1660 kit

RE1660 RE1660

Last on your list is brake lines. I suggest getting these.

Front Brake Lines Front Brake Lines
Rear Brake Line Rear Brake Line

I also suggest if you have a 8.25 to get the KJ rear disc brakes and put them together while doing this. Perfect time to do it.

I feel like something is missing...... Oh yes shocks. I actually just bought some Rubicon Express shocks recently from serious offroad. I actually say they have the best prices right now and they know what they are doing over there.

So once all is said and done after a few checks going to parts you will have a very capable and ready to go jeep and I accomplished this all myself with very little hiccups. (Minus the New shackle box) I spent a total of $320 on springs and leafs and the rest is just normal stuff that you might need. By the way if you have extended shackles, might be a good time to go measure them and if they are over 5" eye to eye you will want to get them modified. I had mine done for $15 but once all said and done, craigslist surf for 33's and call it a day.

Last edited by Codenamefa; 04-29-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added
Old 04-30-2014, 03:34 AM

Awesome guys thanks for the help alot...I think instead of piecing it together I'm gonna just save up and buy the RC 4 1/2 full leaf pack lift. But I did just order the track bar, the yoke extender, the pitman drop arm, and the steering shock stabilizer.
I will be buying the lift probably in two weeks and then its on!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

Originally Posted by 88 XJ Durb
Awesome guys thanks for the help alot...I think instead of piecing it together I'm gonna just save up and buy the RC 4 1/2 full leaf pack lift. But I did just order the track bar, the yoke extender, the pitman drop arm, and the steering shock stabilizer.
You can still save over buying the Full Pack.
Build your on Bastard Pack. I love mine, I'd build every Cherokee under 6" of lift this way. Also I would never build a Cherokee with over 6" of lift, but that's another story...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

I wouldn't buy RC. There's a reason their kits are so much cheaper. My MJ had a 4.5" RC lift on it when I bought it, I put it back to stock with worn out parts off my XJ just to get that lift off, I hated it. I suggest RE, and with that much of a lift, I'd be going to long arms.
Also, at 4.5", you most likely won't need that drop pitman arm, and steering stabilizers are a complete waste of money. I'm not crazy about the longer yokes or t-case drops either, they just don't seem like good ideas to me.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Year: 1999

My 4.5 RC is actually pretty good but if I could do it all again I'd choose RE to get a true 4.5 like I had to put 2in spacers up front because of the back being higher than the front and the leafs are way too short so I already had an extended shackle and I put that in and and the angle is vertical now which isn't too bad but going over bumps it feels like you came off a huge rock.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:21 AM

Well I have heard good and bad things about the RC lift but mostly good. Think I might stick with it, this rig isnt gonna climb rocks its gonna stick to more moderate climbing only because its my DD and Jeep Parts Are Pricey!
But I'm still not to good with the whole shackle placement issues...what is a good placement and a whats a bad one?
Also I was thinking about adding some 1.5/2" coil spacers anyways and extended shackles in the rear just for a little bit more lift....any pics would help great
Old 05-01-2014, 12:25 AM

So this is the kit I'm looking at...looks to have all the components I'm looking for...

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...kit-633n2.html
Old 05-01-2014, 04:05 AM
CF Veteran

So this is the kit I'm looking at...looks to have all the components I'm looking for...

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...kit-633n2.html
That's the same lift I had. I'll tell you now, the rear springs will most likely be too short. Low profile shackle relocation brackets and longer shackles could fix that, or you could buy springs that are long enough. You'll need a track bar, and you'll at least need some adjustable upper control arms, just to make it drivable with that lift. And all the parts I just listed off, don't buy from RC.
Also, like most things RC, the shocks suck. They'll work, but good monotube shocks will be a lot better.

Really, buy what you want, its your money. But I've had that lift, I'd never consider buying it again. There's a good reason why its so cheap, and why most of the parts on my Jeep now are from RE. My 2 cents worth.