Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Quick Questions About the ZJ Front Seat Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 3 Quick Questions About the ZJ Front Seat Swap

First off let me say that I DID in fact search for this first and nothing came up. Here's my 2 questions:

1. Do Grand Cherokee seats with the power option have a manual recline lever on the side?

2. If they don't how do you recline your Grand Cherokee front seats once you swap them into an XJ Cherokee with manual seat controls?

3. Do ALL Grand Cherokees have power seats or is it possible to find grand Cherokee seats with manual controls?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Number 3 they came in both power and manual and they came in cloth and leather.The rest i couldn't tell you with out looking at the seat its self to see.And on the zj if the bumpers and side plastic is body color its a higher trim and those are more likely to be power.The ones the bumpers and side plastic are not painted are lower trim and would have manual seats.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Number 3 they came in both power and manual and they came in cloth and leather.The rest i couldn't tell you with out looking at the seat its self to see.And on the zj if the bumpers and side plastic is body color its a higher trim and those are more likely to be power.The ones the bumpers and side plastic are not painted are lower trim and would have manual seats.

Excellent thanks. It just seems odd to me that in all of the million threads I've seen talking about this swap, nobody ever mentions the ability to recline with a power seat swap. Ivr found a pair locally for $150. Cloth light gray ZJ seats but can't tell yet if theyre power or manual. Probably manual if they're cloth? Well see. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:18 AM
CF Veteran

I just looked on ebay the recline on the power seats is power,And yeah if the seats are cloth they are probably manual but could be power.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I just looked on ebay the recline on the power seats is power,And yeah if the seats are cloth they are probably manual but could be power.
So how are people able to recline their ZJ seats once they install them in an XJ that originally had manual seats? It doesn't make sense that nobody ever brought tuyat to anyone's attention. What's even stranger is the one little comment that I've ever read about this is, Tue guy said that He was surprised that He was still able to adjust the recline and lumbar support on His power ZJ seats after He swapped them in.

I guess at this point it really doesn't matter to me now that I know some of the ZJ seats are manual. I guess I'll have to post up some pics and clarify this for the next guy. Thanks again for the info.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:20 AM

Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by M4RK
So how are people able to recline their ZJ seats once they install them in an XJ that originally had manual seats? It doesn't make sense that nobody ever brought tuyat to anyone's attention. What's even stranger is the one little comment that I've ever read about this is, Tue guy said that He was surprised that He was still able to adjust the recline and lumbar support on His power ZJ seats after He swapped them in.

I guess at this point it really doesn't matter to me now that I know some of the ZJ seats are manual. I guess I'll have to post up some pics and clarify this for the next guy. Thanks again for the info.
I've not done the swap, but I have read somewhere in this forum of people running a power wire to be able to use the power seats. Hopefully someone who has will chime in.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I swapped in power WJ seats. You just have to wire in a power and ground wire. it made the recline and the lumbar support work. Manual slide from the xj seat bracket
Old 11-01-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2000chersport
I swapped in power WJ seats. You just have to wire in a power and ground wire. it made the recline and the lumbar support work. Manual slide from the xj seat bracket
Right on. Thanks for the tip. Still, I'm not a fan of leather seats and I like my manual controls just fine to I'm probably going to stick with a pair of cloth manual seats unless a real good deal comes along...or I Find a pair in black lol. I've seen a few pairs that were black leather and the head rests were in a big hollow square shape with a hole in the!. They looked awesome. Black leather sucks in the heat but they look too cool to pass on.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Look at this following link, I see power controls and manual recline. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/je...0/#post2963754
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Look at this following link, I see power controls and manual recline. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/je...0/#post2963754
That's what I see too. Not sure why they'd do that or how people are claiming to recline with a powered button instead of a manual lever with their power seats but the pictures don't lie. Too hell with it. I'll just have to see the seats I want I'm Tue flesh but what makes the most sense. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

The one i looked at http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTUAL-ITEM-1996-1998-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-drivers-seat-/131322814744?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e93732118&vxp=mtr i guess the power control is different on leather vs cloth.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 AM

OK so I guess cloth ZJ seats have a manual recline at least if not manual everything and the leather ones are power all the way. That's good with me. Leather is too high maintenance and uncomfortable in the heat anyways. Plus my dog always rides with me and Shed tear up leather seats in no time. Thanks for helping me clear that up.

One last thing. I'm 6' and was wondering how much higher these ZJ seats will sit? Also will it make everything more cramped? Any issued with clearance between the doors and set or center console or anything? I'd hate to put them in and still have a gap where my phone or lighter could fall between the seats but too small a gap to ever fish them back out again lol. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:23 AM

Year: 1994

Measure the thickness of the seat part on both seats, should be the only difference. It's still on the XJ frame
Old 11-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

ZJ seats do sit slightly higher and are wider. The plastic cover on the outside of seat-base makes minor contact with the trim underneath the seatbelt spool.
Tunnel side is OK, if something falls there it can still be easily removed.
Attached Thumbnails 3 Quick Questions About the ZJ Front Seat Swap-zj-seats.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
ZJ seats do sit slightly higher and are wider. The plastic cover on the outside of seat-base makes minor contact with the trim underneath the seatbelt spool.
Tunnel side is OK, if something falls there it can still be easily removed.

OK thanks. Has anyone tried using Commander seats in their XJ? On eBay I saw an auction a guy had for Commander seats and He said they'd fit in a ZJ grand Cherokee. Whether He's full of **** or not. I have no idea but if Commander seats fit Inna ZJ and ZJ seats fit in an XJ then shouldn't XK seats for in an XJ? I've been searching everywhere band cant find ANYTHING on XJ seat swaps for anything but Grand Cherokees.

Quick Reply: 3 Quick Questions About the ZJ Front Seat Swap